Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is genuinely the scariest prop or effect you have ever seen or used? Pics/videos appreciated...looking for stuff that actually frightens adults and takes things to the next level.

·
Registered
237 Posts
To me it's the ominous things you can't see that creeps me out. I have a couple of hooded faceless figures/creepers that will be hiding in the shadows. So you can see something is there, but you can't see it's face. Almost looks like you're staring into a vast emptiness, where you're not sure if the creature is looking back at you or not.

Awhile back someone on this site posted a picture of a faceless graveyard ghoul holding out a lantern that they built, and I fell in love with it. I built mine about 4 months ago and it's been sitting in my basement waiting to come out ever since. Every now and then I'll forget it's there, and it'll startle me when I flip the lights on when I go down there.

With that being said, I'm going to work on my lighting this year. Last year I (very vividly) lit up each prop with various colors (red, orange, green, blue), basically putting the light source only 1-2 feet away from the prop. This year I'm going to cut back on the lights, and mainly use the cold blue lights from a distance. Then add in small amounts of warm lights on various props to add volume/depth, like small orange LED candles and lanterns. I'm hoping more shadows will be casted, creating as sense of uncertainty and drama in my haunt.

I think people are more afraid of what they can't see more than what than can.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To me it's the ominous things you can't see that creeps me out. I have a couple of hooded faceless figures/creepers that will be hiding in the shadows. So you can see something is there, but you can't see it's face. Almost looks like you're staring into a vast emptiness, where you're not sure if the creature is looking back at you or not.

Awhile back someone on this site posted a picture of a faceless graveyard ghoul holding out a lantern that they built, and I fell in love with it. I built mine about 4 months ago and it's been sitting in my basement waiting to come out ever since. Every now and then I'll forget it's there, and it'll startle me when I flip the lights on when I go down there.

With that being said, I'm going to work on my lighting this year. Last year I (very vividly) lit up each prop with various colors (red, orange, green, blue), basically putting the light source only 1-2 feet away from the prop. This year I'm going to cut back on the lights, and mainly use the cold blue lights from a distance. Then add in small amounts of warm lights on various props to add volume/depth, like small orange LED candles and lanterns. I'm hoping more shadows will be casted, creating as sense of uncertainty and drama in my haunt.

I think people are more afraid of what they can't see more than what than can.
I couldn't agree more. We're going to go sparingly on the lights also and just try to have some faint green glow for the fog and surrounding bushes, etc.

I'd love to see your ghoul - I've been thinking of doing a faceless reaper/wraith type character.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like those a lot, anxious to see them with the right lighting to see how well they 'float'.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts