Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having nice warm weather here this week so have been working on cleaning out our garage, taking out batteries in my new dino props and getting ready to store them. Garage doors were open when a guy and his two kids were walking past. He said hi and replied hi back. Then as his young daughter walked past she points right at me and says, "hey your the dancing skeleton house!"' And hubby didn't think the kids saw the upstairs room projection :D. I said "yes we are". Then she spies our boxes of dinosaurs and dino props spread out (Walmart raptor box with image on it and my HD baby T-Rex hatchling were visible) and she says "what's that?" Replied "dinosaurs". She gave me a puzzled look as the rest of her family had walked by and she was lagging behind. So I said "for next halloween" and she smiled and walked down the street.

Turned to my husband and asked if he heard that. Of course he did. Funny no mention of drive-in movie theme stuff, just the dancing skeletons. Hubby had thought it was confusing having both monster movies downstairs and dance class projections upstairs and I kind of did too but it goes to show I guess that you never know what thing you do will be most remembered. ;) Made my day!

·
Creepin' It Real
2,038 Posts
Love it! Being recognized for Halloween has to be the best feeling.

·
Registered
608 Posts
We were out putting up Christmas lights and I had a neighbor stop by and ask if we were going as big for Christmas as we did for Halloween. They were disappointed that I said no, although we are doing more this year than we did last year.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
We were out putting up Christmas lights and I had a neighbor stop by and ask if we were going as big for Christmas as we did for Halloween. They were disappointed that I said no, although we are doing more this year than we did last year.
Funny that folks have been asking you if you are going big for Christmas like you did for Halloween. I have been asked the same thing by several people too and they would give me this baffled look like why not?? We also did more this year in our yard for Christmas than we have in years past. I just don't have the energy, the money, or the right climate to go big for Christmas, though I wish I did.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Funny that folks have been asking you if you are going big for Christmas like you did for Halloween. I have been asked the same thing by several people too and they would give me this baffled look like why not?? We also did more this year in our yard for Christmas than we have in years past. I just don't have the energy, the money, or the right climate to go big for Christmas, though I wish I did.
I just don't have the interest. We got all of our Christmas stuff up this weekend, from the tree to the outside lights. I haven't turned the outside lights on yet. While I might do a little more out there, that's probably the extent of my decorating, which is still more than the vast majority of people in the neighborhood. Christmas isn't fun the same way that Halloween is.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I just don't have the interest. We got all of our Christmas stuff up this weekend, from the tree to the outside lights. I haven't turned the outside lights on yet. While I might do a little more out there, that's probably the extent of my decorating, which is still more than the vast majority of people in the neighborhood. Christmas isn't fun the same way that Halloween is.
Christmas is still one of my favorite holidays, but now that the kids are older and trying to shop for them and other family members has become much more difficult, it just doesn't seem as fun as used to be. Now that they know Santa isn't real that magic is missing. But I do like this time of year, the cool weather, the snow, the lights and in general people are friendlier closer to Christmas than they are the rest of the year. But I just can't seem to get in the mood to decorate like I used to, some of that is due to not really having places to put the bricker brack out on since we did some remodeling, while some is because of critters who climb everything or destroy everything and some is I just don't like having to do it all by myself both putting it up and putting it away.

Halloween just seems more fun to me than Christmas now because of the wonder and excitement of the kids. Seeing them all dressed up in costumes and them enjoying the decorations, the laughs and the occasional screams is just fun to be a part of.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
10,050 Posts
If I knew I could have 60° weather in January to take stuff down I would put up more Christmas but since that can't be guaranteed in the DC/MD/VA area, I stick to a tree of lights & some blow molds & few other things that are easy & quick to put up & down.

I do more inside than outside.

I do think it's odd that people think because you do one holiday big that you'll do all of them that way. They don't take into consideration the weather, the time, the money, etc. Most of us can't do both big & not everyone is as into Christmas.

The only thing I do for every holiday now is put something on the four cement tiki heads we have. Three of them are Easter Island type heads & one is a tiki in front of a surfboard & they get decorated for each holiday now but that usually takes 15 mins. tops even in cold weather. They now have Santa hats (which are Santa hat chair back covers because they're the only thing that fits them) & garland & I may put some battery lights on them too. All from Dollar Tree so if they get ruined I've only lost less than $10.

I wonder if they ask the Christmas folks if they're going to do Halloween big? Does that question go the other way?

·
Registered
608 Posts
Halloween just seems more fun to me than Christmas now because of the wonder and excitement of the kids. Seeing them all dressed up in costumes and them enjoying the decorations, the laughs and the occasional screams is just fun to be a part of.
Halloween is more fun, at least for exterior decorating, because you've already got people coming to your house specifically for what you're doing. The whole point of the holiday is that people come to you. That's not the case with Christmas. No matter what you put up, the only people who are going to see it are the ones driving by. There's no personal experience. It's just something to see on your way somewhere else.

Totally different thing.

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,614 Posts
Then she spies our boxes of dinosaurs and dino props spread out (Walmart raptor box with image on it and my HD baby T-Rex hatchling were visible) and she says "what's that?" Replied "dinosaurs". She gave me a puzzled look as the rest of her family had walked by and she was lagging behind. So I said "for next halloween" and she smiled and walked down the street.
And now you have her looking forward to next year too! Great story!

Reactions: Ghost of Spookie

·
Registered
14,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know while my thread title referred to being recognized (as a halloween house), which was a nice warm fuzzy thing, I think I was more surprised by the projection it was remembered for by this girl--the dancing skeletons. Thought maybe the conversation to my post would have gone in that direction. Have to say projections do get noticed and imprinted on people's memories. So glad we started adding them to our set up a few years ago. It's fun to think up new ways to use them too.

Now this year I also had trailers of monster movies being projected on the garage door's drive-in movie screen, which also got the attention of others and was commented on too but mainly about the monster movie itself. Most people don't give a second thought about movie screen projected images. With Christmas decorations in our neighborhood going up, my two closest neighbors have put up projection spotlights this year, first time ever. Won't be long before I see someone else doing a projector set up I'm sure. As far as I could tell we've been the only one so far and we've had people ask us a few questions about it.

Next year's haunt, weather permitting since it will have to be spread out across our front yard too, is dino themed and I'd love to find some raptor projection that I can use for my "live" velociraptor container area. Thinking something with just the face/eyes peering out from inside the container. Send any suggestions for content my way!

Now I wish I could have this guy, non-human!, make an appearance in my haunt LOL. Needless to say we would definitely be remembered if we did ;)

·
His name is Roger Clyne
10,050 Posts
I find it funny what kids remember. You'll spend hours on something elaborate & they'll remember the Elsa JOL or the talking skelly or just something you never thought they'd remember or something you just tossed in there at the last minute without thought.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Kids will pick up on what they relate to. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that little girl was involved with dance classes since she remembered the dancing skeletons. Ours was like that when she was little, she took dance classes and any tv commercial that had some kind of dance in it would snap her head around, any dancing trinket would be a favorite.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I wonder if they ask the Christmas folks if they're going to do Halloween big? Does that question go the other way?
Funny, I finally , after the wife nagged long enough :) decide to get the lights up on the weekend ( weather was nice)
as we were driving home after a few errands Sunday, I told her that if every house you see would put up Halloween decorations, even just a little
, it would make it even more fun for everyone ..

I too get recognized , either kids or parents walking by saying thanks, or when walking the dog :) it's always fun.
and as one mentioned, each person gets hooked on one specific prop or decor , sometimes it's the prop you take for granted and just added at the last minute :)

·
Registered
414 Posts
Probably not. It seems to me sometimes that everyone decorates for Christmas. Halloween is considered a lesser holiday. Walking down my street nearly every house has at least a wreath on the door, or bows on fence posts, or a string of lights at the roofline, or failing that their Christmas tree will be placed in front of a large window with the curtains flung wide open. Some do more, but nearly every house seems to have something up, and I'm willing to lay odds many that still don't will by Christmas, seeing as there's still three weeks to go. Three weeks to Halloween most houses around here hadn't even started decorating for Halloween, there are already more Christmas decorations up than Halloween decorations were up even on the night itself. This is THE holiday for most people, especially up here in Canada, since Thanksgiving isn't nearly as much of a thing. Yeah, not everyone celebrates, but most do, but I think that it's truer of Christmas, at least in my area, than of Halloween. So I can see some people assuming that if you do Halloween big, your Christmas display must be huge! Not everyone recognises that just because they rank Christmas over Halloween doesn't mean that everyone else does.

I do Christmas bigger than most people. I've got lights on the roofline, around all of my front windows, and around the large evergreen in my front yard. I have a LED present next to the evergreen, a wreath on the front door, icicle lights under the overhang, and a lit star hanging in one of my front windows. There's a house around the corner that makes what I have up look tiny, but compared to the average, what I have up is pretty big. I also try to add to it every year, but it's not the priority, nor does it afford the creativity for me that Halloween does. Halloween is my number one, it will always get the bulk of my energy, money, time, and storage space. Most people have different priorities, and I'm ok with that.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I've got roof lights up, I've got net lights over the shrubs next to the garage door and this year, I wrapped our palm tree with lights. We were going to get one of those Gemmy moving snowflake lights but we didn't know what to do with it. Our next door neighbors got one but it really doesn't look that great IMO. That's all we do outside. We could do more, in fact, next year we might surround the entire house with lights along the fence line like a couple of people have done, but it depends on whether or not I feel like doing it when the time comes. I'm usually too busy to worry much about outside for Christmas anyhow.

·
black light queen
2,626 Posts
when people ask if we do xmas, i say that we do some, but not to the extent that we do halloween because halloween is more creative ... all of our halloween props are modified ... there's not much you can to for xmas in terms of creativity that you can do with halloween ... i mean, what can you do with a santa prop? with a skelly, the possibilities are endless, the only limit is your imagination ... black light reactive santa? ... no i don't think so ... yeah, joe/jane average person can spend a ton of $$$ for xmas stuff & then just put them up ... where's the fun in that when anyone/everyone can/does the same/similar? having said that, i like seeing all kinds of decorations for all seasons/holidays, but if i can't go the extra mile to customize store bought props, get my "creative" juices flowing, then, i'm like, why bother?

ok, rant over, lol :)

amk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts