Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we took a 3 hour drive to Knoebel's amusement park yesterday...First time I've ever been there and to be honest, the biggest reason for going is I always wanted to see their "haunted mansion" dark ride built in 1973...The wife and I must have rode that thing like 8 times (she loves me)...I had to laugh because the very last trick was water pouring down in front of the car that is SUPPOSE to stop...Ride #7, the water didn't stop....and to top it off, I had my sunglasses on top of my head which got snagged in the "witch room" that had yarn hanging down to feel like things touching your face...When we got out, I told the attendant who was nice enough to go in and get them (none of the cars crushed them)...It's OK though, we were entertained by the next 10 cars of seeing peoples reaction as they got dumped on by the water that didn't stop...The water was right at the last set of crashing doors so we could really see the initial reaction after actually getting wet...The one girl smacked her boyfriend saying"You said we wouldn't get wet!"...HA!...The attendant gave us free tickets and said the trigger that's suppose to stop the water was knocked over and laying on it's side...That's why it didn't stop...So, we thanked her for getting my glasses and walked back around for a final 8th ride before coming home....On a non-Halloween side note..We were pleasantly surprised at this park with free admission and free parking (only pay for what you want to do)...It kept us busy all day with free shows, rides,miniature golf,3-d movie,etc...It has plenty of bathrooms spread out with trees throughout the whole park for shade, pets are allowed into the park! though we left ours at home and it's fairly level without alot of hills....Nice (cheap) day altogether....Definitely worth the 3 hour drive to us....ZR

·
Bringing the Dead to Life
839 Posts
Here's another really good site with the background info and pictures:
Knoebel's Haunted Mansion [DAFE]

Here's a quote from the above site (i love how they say it usually shuts the water off):
"The water curtain is just before the exit of the ride was copied from a traditional PTC dark ride gag that made it appear you would be soaked to the skin. Of course it would shut off just in time...usually! This version uses switches to control first the water supply and then a drip catcher that activates just before the car goes under the waterfall. Although it was once a common stunt, this is one of just a handful left in the US."

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the links...Yes, I have seen those links and that's how I initially found out about Knoebels in the first place....I have actually wanted to go for the last couple years after looking at the sites but finally went this year...I'm so glad that I got to experience it first hand...Now that I've been there, I'm thinking about picking up that DVD...Do you have it?....Is it worth it?....Seems like it would be interesting....ZR

·
Registered
540 Posts
Weird. Kind of creepy in a creepy way.

It doesn't look very scary but the flash photography might ruin a lot of it.

That semi looks scary, though.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, It's not very scary but it is a fun ride and I'm glad I got to experience it...I jumped when the air horn went off for the rig...My wife jumped at the snake in the clock, rig, and hands that came out of the box...If I would complain about anything, it would be that they need better lighting to highlight things because you can't see half of what's really there...I understand it's a DARK ride but alot of the detail they worked hard to get in there is in the dark so why bother?....It was still a great ride though and I can see why it finishes in the top ten every year....ZR

1 - 9 of 9 Posts