Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I stopped at a Goodwill today that had their Halloween out. I know their purpose is to raise funds for training and employment opportunities, but I was still put off by the prices. Eight dollars for a pretty standard werewolf mask? I don't think so...

·
Registered
378 Posts
I haven't been to Goodwill. The one close to me moved out a few months back and I haven't traveled to the other, further ones.

Agreed about the prices, ChrisW. I normally have better price luck with misc, small decor items. Or things unrelated to Halloween that can be repurposed.

Goodwill is not about low prices. It's about making money!!!! All the more proven in a recent news article about the one near me moving and the motive for doing so - MONEY!!! They moved to the richy area.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Sadly, my local GW stopped getting surplus/salvage/clearance from Target. That always included lots of great after-Halloween clearance. I don't think we get shipments of Halloween merch per se. But luckily, my store stocks a holiday section all year long. I got two gorgeous Lemax houses there this Spring. But I think they put much more Halloween stuff out now.

Here in PA, while the clothing prices at Goodwill are set in stone across all stores, hard good prices are left to the discretion of each store. Depending on who is doing the pricing, the same item might vary as much as $1-15 from store to store. I was lucky to get my Lemax pieces for $2.99... along with some basic small ceramic Halloween houses for 69 cents! Meanwhile, at another nearby GW store, they had priced some beat up Halloween nutcrackers from Target at $14.99 That's MORE than could have been had at a Target store! Grrrr!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Our local Goodwill closed a few years ago, it was my favorite second hand store and was just down the street. It was also staffed with some of the nicest people I've ever encountered in retail. I miss it.

·
The Kitschiest Kitsch
1,760 Posts
I thought Goodwill was a thrift store? How do they get "shipments" of Halloween stuff?
I thought so too. I worked at Goodwill many years ago and we got shipments of everything from all over all during the year. My local Goodwill's have Halloween and other holiday decor out all year.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I know not all of the Goodwills are the same. I stopped in at the one closest to me today and the cashier told me that next week they will get their first big shipment of Halloween stuff! :D
Did not realize they stored stuff to display at a later date! Have not stopped by my Goodwill for a couple weeks but will stop and check it out. Love that place.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I've noticed Goodwill will get the same exact Dollar Store stuff but charge $1.50-$3.00 for it.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I thought Goodwill was a thrift store? How do they get "shipments" of Halloween stuff?
I think that they have a centralized warehouse here.

I have gathered from posts from other areas that some Goodwills have crazy prices and I have noticed the inconsistent pricing on the hard goods here. Overall though, the ones by me, have good prices. There are 5 within a 30 minute radius of me.

·
Registered
137 Posts
We have two Goodwill stores in a 20 mile radius. Both of them are
way overpriced on the average. (7, 8 dollars for a mans shirt)

I don't tend to shop there.

There are a few more thrift stores in the area. One of which gives me
whatever I need for Halloween purpose free of charge. ...the props I
build are used in a fundraising haunt for the town.

·
Wisp in the Mist
1,953 Posts
Our store's hard goods prices are usually questionable, too. I still go, and I grumble about prices, but the things that I do allow myself to buy are things that I couldn't get for the prices anywhere else. I refuse to buy the high priced stuff, though. I have noticed the same about the dollar store items--they mark them up over a dollar every time.

I don't know if ours gets big Halloween shipments like our Vegas stores did. I was afraid that when I went last week, that was going to be it--and it wasn't much! I picked up all that I could. I noticed that they carry Trendmasters Jack o' Lanterns every year. One of mine that went missing years ago, I bought in Vegas for $3.99, and I found the exact same style last week at my store in IL for the same price.

I wonder how many areas have the 99 cent Goodwill stores? I know that one just opened up in a town about 40 minutes from where I live (it's in Springfield, IL for those who are close enough to go). I have no idea what kinds of things they have, I haven't been able to go yet. I'm guessing it's stuff that didn't sell in regular stores.

·
Blue Pill? or Red Pill?
4,100 Posts
I dont about all the areas, but I know down here they have 50% Saturdays about once a quarter. I've tried to ask them how they figure out or when the dates are, but the employees don't know until a day or 2 before. Its not heavily advertised, only on their website or the newspaper and thats it. But boy! there sure is a line at some stores!

·
Somewhat Eccentric
2,278 Posts
My Goodwill puts out miscellaneous Halloween all year long. That's why my collection has kept growing throughout the year. :) Last year they did have lots of spider web from Target. I grabbed some of the glow-in-the-dark webbing and a few rubber stamps, but that's all I can remember that came in right before.

There's another thrift store that I regularly shop at whose prices are much less than GW. They just started putting Halloween out two weeks ago and I always get a basket full each time I go. I've picked up a few DT items such as foam pumpkins and severed hands for .25 each. Also picked wigs, masks and other decorations from .25 to $1 each.

·
Wisp in the Mist
1,953 Posts
With our store, you can find little things throughout the year that have been donated. When I lived in Vegas, our stores got actual Halloween shipments of new things. They'd have rows of huge tombstones for $20 or so, obelisks for $30, a handful of foggers, an endcap of screaming mirrors, and an aisle or two of costumes, with some random things thrown in.

I don't know if our little newly-remodeled store gets shipments like that or not, I haven't been there during the buying season yet. I just moved back here about 2 years ago, and didn't really have the opportunity to decorate in those years--kinda watching the wallet too, since I had to get re-established and re-furnish a household for four.

I go to our thrift shops pretty regularly. The guy who runs Salvation Army will know me by name before long. Every time he sees me, it's "You're in here again?!" and he laughs. The ladies at Goodwill look at me over their glasses because they recognize me and know I buy weird stuff, haha. We have a couple of other thrift shops, but one is run by a church and they're new--haven't seen any Halloween there yet at all, not sure I will. The other is run by a special needs organization, and they kind of get the stuff no one else wants.

However, they had two of THE MOST GORGEOUS antique wood & wicker wheelchairs last year. I wanted them so bad, but they were $200. I used to have one (which had been left in our house when Dad bought it), but while I while I was living in Vegas a couple of years ago, my sister sold it for $300 to help my mom pay a bill. It was in mom's basement, and she had some serious plumbing issues--the guy who fixed it offered to take $300 off her bill if they gave him my wheelchair. *sniffle* At least it was for my mom. I had planned on using it in my display with a twitching, mumbling "patient" when I moved back that year.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
However, they had two of THE MOST GORGEOUS antique wood & wicker wheelchairs last year. I wanted them so bad, but they were $200. I used to have one (which had been left in our house when Dad bought it), but while I while I was living in Vegas a couple of years ago, my sister sold it for $300 to help my mom pay a bill. It was in mom's basement, and she had some serious plumbing issues--the guy who fixed it offered to take $300 off her bill if they gave him my wheelchair. *sniffle* At least it was for my mom. I had planned on using it in my display with a twitching, mumbling "patient" when I moved back that year.
Awwww! That is a shame! Good thing it was for your Mom; probably about the only thing that makes it forgivable!

The Goodwills around here do 50% off on the first Saturday of every month. Everyday, they have 50% off of the selected color tickets and on Sunday and Wednesday, clothes with that color ticket are 99 cents. I shop there very carefully and productively!

·
Halloween Nut
2,941 Posts
I dont about all the areas, but I know down here they have 50% Saturdays about once a quarter. I've tried to ask them how they figure out or when the dates are, but the employees don't know until a day or 2 before. Its not heavily advertised, only on their website or the newspaper and thats it. But boy! there sure is a line at some stores!
Ours here have them about twice per month on everything, and each week, they have on color tag a t 50% for the entire week. It runs Sunday through Saturday. I usually have good luck finding what I am looking for on sale for 50% off.

Here, the higher price place is ARC thrift store. I have found many very nice bottles there, but they are quite a bit more than Goodwill or Savers. From posts I have seen on the forum, my area Goodwills seem to be priced higher than the deals I see members here get.

·
Banned
2,717 Posts
The Goodwill near had their Halloween stuff out today. Every year the prices are higher and higher. It seems that they get stuff shipped that are way overpriced and can be found elsewhere. Then they mix in second hand Halloween stuff that was donated to them. That stuff is also way overpriced. I also noticed that you will not find anything there that is valuable. They usually have people in back that check everything that comes through and keeps the good stuff. I do check often during the season because sometimes I will find something Halloween that I can't find somewhere else or is unique.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts