Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've bought a number of great, unique Halloween items from Goodwill this year. Sometimes things you wish you would have bought a few years ago but missed out on turn up. Not only specific halloween themed items but all kinds of accessories to use as-is or modify for your haunt. Also clothing for your props.

My local store, one of 15 in the SF Bay and part of Goodwill of Silicon Valley, gives out discount coupons for future purchases on certain days of the week, but these aren't good for halloween items during the season. However, today while reading the San Jose Mercury News I saw a "Your Better Priced Halloween Headquarters" Halloween ad with Coupon (Page E5 of the Sat., 10/10 paper) for "10% off all items". Offer ends 10/31. BTW Goodwill Silicon Valley is an Ebay seller for some of it's larger items.

Even if you don't live in the SF Bay area, I'd suggest checking out your local paper to see if your Goodwill stores are also offering similar coupons.

It's also nice knowing when you buy from Goodwill or other similar resale shops that you're helping people in need.

BTW I'm curious how many people halloween shop a resale store this year. Please post if you do.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,327 Posts
I check out Goodwill, Salvation Army and the smaller church-run thrift stores all of the time... and usually find NOTHING.

I have never seen any of the cool things that other folks post about, not even the shiatsu massagers. I'm lucky if I find a few decent bottles and did get a large picture frame, but mostly it's all clothes and really ugly furniture. :(

·
Registered
460 Posts
I havent checked Goodwill yet but I have been looking at thrift stores and yard sales. This morning I found 2 of those styrofoam heads for wigs that I have seen others here on the forum use to make props for $1 each, I thought that was a good find.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I got several nice things from thrift stores this year, then again I tend to go in to them anyway as its a good place to get old CDs.

My favourite item was a rather repulsive baby pink flower arragement in a frame which now is a gothic spider trap which I am rather proud of :)

·
A Great Pumpkin
3,103 Posts
Yes, thrifting is a must - plus garage saling & curb diving. Just got a nurses smock for part of the younger ween's costume, plus some other fall decor.

·
Registered
6,687 Posts
Oh yes! Many, many of my props and Halloween decor came from thrift stores. My favorite one is run by a church and is called the Resale Barn. I found my best treasures there. They also had lots and lots of costumes cheap. I even got my costume there this year, plus many that are being used on props. The SA store has also been a great source for me this season. I got a 6 ft. ghoul there for $2. They had just put him out and were afraid that it wouldn't hold air. It has the scream mask that lights up. When I finally pulled him out of the box last week, I realized that the body is not an inflatable one, but had to be stuffed! It has a battery operated screem box that goes in the chest, plus the lighted eyes. They eyes aren't working, but I think DH can fix it. It was quite a deal.

I also got a rocking roll witch there for $2 that dances and has flashing eyes and eeire sound effects. Many other items, but these are some favs.

Goodwill has been a good source too.

I stop in each of these places at least weekly. I hate to pay full price for anything!

G

·
0 Posts
YES! love the thrift stores!!! Got the wedding gown for my beloved for $10. Got my haunt shutters- 2 pair for 2 bucks!! men's suits are $5, just got 3 for next year's zombie pallbearers. found a bunch of cherubs for my tombstones, starting at 50 cents.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I love thrift stores. A good sum of my props come from thrift stores. A few of my Gemmys are resold, like my mini caged skeleton or some bridal skull that sings a parody of White Wedding.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I have picked up some things from Good Will this season. They had some animated candy dishes I am going to use as prizes- 4.99 each. My nearest good will tends to price their stuff too high though!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thrift Stores Are The Way To Go!!

They are good for eletronics, zombie outfitting, decor, and any other random thing you come across. :eek: I have noticed that some thrift stores are cashing in on the trend and raising prices.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I am always haunting (pun intended) thrift stores, yard sales and flea markets. Unfortunately, my local Goodwill is remodeling so there is literally nothing there. Last year, I scored a nice ghost cookie jar from there for $4. I tend to do better at the local flea market. I always manage to find at least one item there. Last week, I scored a $50 bat for $5! Today, I found a vintage plastic ghost ornament for outside for $1. Can't wait to see what tomorrow brings!

·
Registered
14,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Had dinner out and stopped at another Goodwill before heading home, so far been in 3 this season. The first 2 were nice to good and this third one was really a dump. Even had a horrible odor to it. Did find a Haunted Hedge shaking box for $1.99 there though. Nice quality rusty "chains" for $6.99. A number of Target's last-year haunted mirrors, Target spooky-town-like village setting, lots of costumes and accessories. Given my last stop I can understand some of the comments a few have made however.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
My GW's have nothing but mostly over priced broken stuff. Don't mind donating funds to them but to mark up broken stuff is bad. I've hit 3 GW's and 2 SA's and have seen nothing for Halloween. GOS you are so lucky to have nice GW stores, that pic of the coffin you posted on the other thread was that for $19 or $79 ? I like that one and saw it for $ 50 at Spencers.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I am constantly in resale/thrift shops. I get most of my costuming components theme accessories from those types of stores. I don't find too many actual Halloween branded items that I like there, but I did get a thunder/lightning machine, strobe lights and other lighting and various motors. I get all of my silver serving trays and other tableware and serving pieces. I leave some of the tarnish on the silver for Halloween use. I shop at Salvation Army, Unique Thrift Store, other charity-related resale shops. Goodwill is further away and higher priced, so I only go there occasionally.

My best finds this year: Set of three giant nesting baskets with brass hinged lids. The largest basket is almost like an ottoman. 5 Gal. glass beverage dispenser: I will be using this for my Halloween open house with apple cider (or maybe some other concoction). I'll be putting lots of "edible stuff" in there also to take up some of the volume. I also get fabrics and commercial table linens. This year I got some lovely cloths that are a silvery blackish gray. Only minor damages to them which won't be noticed.

I didn't go to too many garage sales this year, but one across the street from me netted a lovely silver candelabra.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I found my costume for this year at SA: a crazy old lady looking black lace top and and long skirt, which is perfect for me as I am a crazy old lady....Got black fairy wings and the witch hat with the black feathers at Joann's buy one get one free, and striped over the knee socks at Walmart for my skeleton fairy outfit. Hope I can do the makeup right. I had to add lace to the arms of the blouse, as they were not full length. I think it's going to come out well.

·
Registered
14,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My GW's have nothing but mostly over priced broken stuff. Don't mind donating funds to them but to mark up broken stuff is bad. I've hit 3 GW's and 2 SA's and have seen nothing for Halloween. GOS you are so lucky to have nice GW stores, that pic of the coffin you posted on the other thread was that for $19 or $79 ? I like that one and saw it for $ 50 at Spencers.

$19.99 Bozz. I thought they ran about $50 or so and thought $20 was a good deal.

After your post, I checked out Spirithalloween and sure enough the coffin I stumbled upon is one of their nicest ones ($80 reg.). Wow, I really did get lucky. I had actually passed on picking it up last night, the store was about to close and my DH was anxious to get home, but I thought about it all night long. I knew I wouldn't have time to build one this year and really wanted to have something to go with my Dracula's Pub sign we bought from Big Lots. The more I thought about it the more I knew it would be perfect. So set my alarm clock to make sure I would be at the store when they opened and it was a miracle I woke up this morning to make it there in time because I set the wrong am/pm and no wake up alarm. When I got to the store two goth looking girls were there before me but we had about 10 minutes to wait and it was kind of cold so they ended up leaving. I was first in and one happy and lucky coffin owner.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Spent a good $50 at goodwill this year. However I am generally disapointed with the prices. $15 for last years $20 fogger? Gets under my skin to think that the majority of this stuff was probably displayed in a garage sale somewhere for a tenth of the price.

However they sometimes get it wrong and thats the ones I jump on. There was a new in box bubble fogger for $7. I also picked up a full head with neck flap skeleton mask for $5. Im still learning how to identify quality of masks, but it just seems like one of those higher end masks you find at the speciality stores. In short, all masks were priced in this range, regardless of quality, and i picked the best from the batch.

Big trick with Goodwill is that you have to find out the day they put out there stuff and make sure you plan to be there then. I went back a week later and the majority of prop related items were gone.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts