Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I still have a couple things to bring into the garage. This year has been so awful. I have wondered if I was going to just skip 2020 but Halloween is on a Saturday, and I have so many things I want to build or upgrade. I am trying my best to schedule projects throughout the year till September so I will be ready with so much new and improved I will want to put everything out badly.

What are you guys thinking for 2020? What do you do to pull yourself out of a Halloween funk?

·
Registered
987 Posts
It's been a strange year here in the UK. Halloween coincided with something else here so that made it very surreal. Add that to the other political stuff here and it took the edge off a bit.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's been a strange year here in the UK. Halloween coincided with something else here so that made it very surreal. Add that to the other political stuff here and it took the edge off a bit.

I am trying not to think about the political stuff happening along with Halloween in 2020 for the US.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I have so many things I want to build or upgrade. I am trying my best to schedule projects throughout the year till September
Honestly, I am reading this and getting stressed! It is easy to just look at the mountain of "perceived work" that "has to get done" and just decide to say maybe I will skip it this year..
Playing Devil's Advocate for a moment, would it really be that bad if it all didn't get done?

Looking at the positive, I bet your place is the best on the block, even if you only repeat what you did this year.

I waste months every year in a "paralysis by analysis. By looking at what needs to be done every month, you start looking at this as a job and it can easily stop being fun...

Why don't you take a sabbatical for a month or two...Don't do anything at all. Then in March or April you can re look at everything and still have plenty of time to decide how to proceed.

Just my thoughts..

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's fun when I have plenty of time. I am prioritizing. I only have until a bit into April usually to get garage/outside stuff done before it gets too hot. Then only what I can do in the house, (should probably have saved the new wings for summer but felt like doing them now). I can do the new Ghost dress mostly inside but the full fence repaint HAS to be done in the tiny window where it's not too hot or too cold or too humid so probably March. Don't know about the coffin. I may try to do that Jan/Feb but we will see. Also depends on my health and other extenuating circumstances.

·
Registered
13,781 Posts
I'm sticking with the dino theme that I orginally thought of doing in 2018, then last year and now determined to get it out this year. Saturday I think will be a better night for it with more kids ToTing so more people to view and hopefully appreciate all the work that's going into it. Also hoping for better weather, no fires and no power shutdowns. 2019 wasn't the best year for many here so am hoping for a better 2020 for all.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
What are you guys thinking for 2020? What do you do to pull yourself out of a Halloween funk?
I pull myself out of a funk by thinking positive thoughts....Sounds obvious but I've been drilling this into my head all this year and it's finally starting to help...Between that and changing my workflow in how I do things has helped quite a bit too....

For 2020 I'm working on silicone molds for fiberglass, I'm hoping 2020 will be the year I have my first fiberglass prop done and in the yard for the whole month of Oct!...ZR

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I pull myself out of a funk by thinking positive thoughts....Sounds obvious but I've been drilling this into my head all this year and it's finally starting to help...Between that and changing my workflow in how I do things has helped quite a bit too....
That does not work for me. I have to actually trick myself into doing something, making something, action, in order to feel better at all.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
That does not work for me. I have to actually trick myself into doing something, making something, action, in order to feel better at all.
Same. Seems like momentum and energy into a new direction is key. I’m already rolling ideas around too. Will this work? Will it not? Not doing anything major, just toying in my mind with ideas. Keeps the mind healthy... and spooky.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,480 Posts
I just give up on thinking about ANY big holiday until March. My birthday is at the end of March so after that I give it a thought or 2. Once November rolls around I've had to forget about Halloween & move on to Thanksgiving & Christmas so I just don't even bother thinking about "our" holiday.

I'm still trying to get Christmas away as I type & the next few holidays, Valentine's & Easter, aren't big decorating or buying holidays for me, so I do a few small things (mostly those vintage popcorn decorations on the door & windows & only do small Easter basket for a few kids in my life) so there's no pressure for anything big to happen.

By the time the weather turns here in March or April, I can think about Halloween stuff because I've not thought about it since, well, really, early November.

The break really does a body good.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Funny you mention Valentine’s not being a big decorating holiday for you @RCIAG. I’ve been looking through seasonal merchandise for Valentines wondering if there’s something in there for Halloween. Haven’t found it yet, but am eagerly awaiting Easter. Need some big eggs! 🥚

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just give up on thinking about ANY big holiday until March. My birthday is at the end of March so after that I give it a thought or 2. Once November rolls around I've had to forget about Halloween & move on to Thanksgiving & Christmas so I just don't even bother thinking about "our" holiday.
Unfortunately because it starts getting hot here in April, and I can't tolerate heat at all, I have to get started as early as possible taking advantage of non-freezing nights when I can. I'd be outside spray painting fences and working on stuff this week if I wasn't sick.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,480 Posts
Ugh, you've been sick too? Sorry, I feel yal

I didn't have the flu, no fever, but the day after Christmas I got sick & today was the first day I actually wanted to eat something, could taste what I ate & had some real energy.

·
Registered
269 Posts
After the weather this Halloween...
IMG_2349.JPG IMG_2350.JPG

I am hoping it will be great weather for 2020. Especially excited to work on stuff way ahead of time since it falls on a Saturday. I am concentrating on some sort of enclosure so I can put out all of my animatronics no matter what the weather is. Spending the next couple of months purging!!!

·
Registered
443 Posts
2019 was awesome. 2020's already smoking 19 and we're only 2 weeks in. I can't wait to see what this year holds.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts