Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Looking to step up my halloween display for next year and want to get into electronics and was wondering if anyone has/knows of good tutorials for beginners?

I'm found some videos online, but figured I would ask here for more Halloween centric tutorials?

Thanks.

·
Registered
374 Posts
what specifically do you need to know? How to wire/configure prop controllers? LED light wiring? etc?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm in the same boat. Although I've been a prop maker for about 20 years, I'm always intimidated by adding electronics and animation. I'm willing to take classes to get me up to snuff for next year, but don't know how/where to start looking in my area. I've seen dozens of online tutorials, but I get lost in the technical parts because I know nothing about it. A newbie class would be great!

·
Grand WaZoo
848 Posts
Let the internet be your friend and tutor. Google basic electronics and start to learn the fundamentals of DC circuits. Outside of that there maybe a basic electronic night course taught at your local community or similar institution that you can learn the ABC of electronics.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, been watching some tutorials already, but again was thinking if anyone knew halloween wiring tutorials.

Looking to add LEDs to some basics (had nice antique bottles, but no one could see them), then also want to get into animatronics, looking to start with the one arm grave grabber.

But guess I'm a little intimidated by the motors/controllers that I see on sites like fight props.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Electronics is a big word.

Breaking it down, those LED pinlights are easy to do, with lots of online and YouTube tutorials. The grave grabbers are mostly mechanical. The wiring is simple but you can buy everything you need ready to plug in if you don't want to mess with it.

Do searches on this page. The simple tutorials are there. Allen Hopps' (Stiltbeast Studios) Youtube tutorials are great and he makes things so anyone can understand them.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
The fundamentals of electronics and DC/AC current are not specific to halloween props. As already mentioned, start by learning the basics and go from there.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Yep, been watching some tutorials already, but again was thinking if anyone knew halloween wiring tutorials.

Looking to add LEDs to some basics (had nice antique bottles, but no one could see them), then also want to get into animatronics, looking to start with the one arm grave grabber.

But guess I'm a little intimidated by the motors/controllers that I see on sites like fight props.
For simple animatronics, you don't need anything complicated. No Arduinos, no prop controllers, the one-arm grave grabber just needs a reindeer motor and nothing else. Don't over-complicate things. All you have to do is get the geometry right and you're golden. Once you get some simple projects down, then you can worry about the rest.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts