Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
why is the image reduced and shaped round?

which shower curtain did you use?
there was alot of talk last year about the walmart "mainstay" brand

·
The Evil Apparitionist
555 Posts
why is the image reduced and shaped round?

which shower curtain did you use?
there was alot of talk last year about the walmart "mainstay" brand
That's the way it looks on one of those Ultraprojectors, they have a round led light source and poor resolution (320x240). You can do the same thing with a cheap opaque art projector and a portable dvd player for less money.

·
Hauntless
8,371 Posts
Yep, the Walmart white vinyl shower curtain is the best. Works beautifully. I made a video of mine if you want to see it in action (fast-forward to time stamp 1:40)

YouTube - Halloween 2008 Lead-up

For some reason I couldn't find the listing for it at Walmart but here's a picture of the same type over at Target White Vinyl Shower Curtain Liner : Target Just look for the really cheap one. I think I paid $3 (I needed two for the size of my window so a grand total of $6). I can't imagine the picture being any better. :)

·
Registered
326 Posts
That's the way it looks on one of those Ultraprojectors, they have a round led light source and poor resolution (320x240). You can do the same thing with a cheap opaque art projector and a portable dvd player for less money.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't Art Projectors only do still images and not video?

I've never used one, but I see them online at DickBlick all the time. Looked like they were just used for tracing still images on large items.

Could you post an example? I would be very interested in a cheap video projector solution.

·
The Evil Apparitionist
555 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't Art Projectors only do still images and not video?

I've never used one, but I see them online at DickBlick all the time. Looked like they were just used for tracing still images on large items.

Could you post an example? I would be very interested in a cheap video projector solution.

That's what they are designed for but if you place them over a small lcd screen they will project video. It's the same concept people have used to create video projectors out of overhead projectors. Just do a search on Youtube for home made video projector. I built two for around $50 each with old gamecube 5 inch screens, pc power supplies, a couple old projection tv lenses and 20 watt leds.

·
Hauntless
8,371 Posts
Oh wow, that black scrim looks great. I may have to make a screen change. Black scrim is a fabric that looks solid but when you shine light behind it, you can see through the scrim to what is being lit. Any fabric that has these properties can be called a scrim fabric.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Oh wow, that black scrim looks great. I may have to make a screen change. Black scrim is a fabric that looks solid but when you shine light behind it, you can see through the scrim to what is being lit. Any fabric that has these properties can be called a scrim fabric.
I'm thinking about trying this when I get home, but could I use that black weed blocker for the scrim material? Similar to the material they use to cover the television in the big scream television illusion.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Wow! I'm impressed! I see Mark has improved the the image with the addition of scrim material in front of the white screen- effectively making two screens. I'll have to bug him on the material he bought but I wonder if there are backyard theater possiblities as well on this design....

hmm....
Thanks icemanfred for the link

Victor

·
Registered
326 Posts
I'm thinking about trying this when I get home, but could I use that black weed blocker for the scrim material? Similar to the material they use to cover the television in the big scream television illusion.
If it's the cloth material, it might work. But if it is the plastic material, it probably will NOT work. I actually use the plastic stuff to black out my windows.

·
Registered
321 Posts
It is more like cloth material than plastic. It comes in a huge roll. I will try it out when I get home and take a video to show you the results. I hope it works because it seems like it would be a lot cheaper than the prices I looked up for the scrim material. I also used the black weed protector to block my eye for the zombie walk. I could see out because I was facing light, but no one could see my eye. I'm thinking this will work.
This is what the material looks like: Compare 1051 36 IN. X 100 FT. WEED BLOCK 1 RL 2627925 Prices - Shop for Garden at mySimon

·
Registered
321 Posts

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Thanks for posting that test.
I think it saved alot of peoples time.

Still want to know what Mark used, cause to allowed you to project earlier at dusk. I get alot of early TOTs

·
The Evil Apparitionist
555 Posts

·
Obssessed Haunter
3,039 Posts
Really sheer curtain fabric would probably work too..... I need to go shopping!
Glad for the test on the landscape fabric... I was looking at it the other day wondering if it would work. I had a feeling it wouldnt because its not sheer enough.... Thanks for that, Joiseygal.
So you think that Mark used the black scrim along WITH the shower curtain? I guess I missed that he used both.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts