Halloween Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Pyro
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I am looking for some good quality clown makeup and don't really know where to begin.

I don't really care for the cream makeups or the kits that you can get from walmart or other halloween stores (as they often fade pretty quickly)... I am willing to put down some cash as long as the quality is good.

Is grease makeup the best bet?

how about for blending a bald cap if I choose to wear one?

Thanks!

·
Registered
23 Posts
To blend a bald cap, you'll want to use liquid latex to hide the edges, then cover with professional stage makeup. Good brands to try are Wolfe, Mehrons and Ben Nye. There is a world of difference between the professional stuff and the junk in the halloween stores. As for type, I've used both cream and cake formulas. Cream is easier to apply. Cake requires that you are consistent in the amount of water you use to dampen it, otherwise your colors won't be consistent. While color variation matters less for some characters, it's pretty noticeable on a clown. Whatever formula you choose, be sure to set it with powder once you finish so it will last. Grease makeup is needed as a base layer whenever covering a latex appliance, but I wouldn't recommend it for anything other than that.

·
Pyro
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for your help!

I bought my supplies today... I got Ben Nye's Rainbow Wheel and Clown White CW-3.

I also bought a wig that has red hair on the sides and is white in the middle... but it is cloth. i'm going to go out on a limb and say that I shouldn't use liquid latex on cloth...

I put it on and wore it around a little bit, and it slid around my head a lot... any tips for making it stick?

Is Latex okay for this? Am I able to apply makeup to it?

·
Registered
23 Posts
You can stick the edges to your forehead with spirit gum. And yes, you can use liquid latex on the fabric. I have a wig like this also, and I covered mine in latex to make blending makeup easier.

Materials needed:

•Red rubber stipple sponge or a makeup applicator sponge
•Plastic wig head or Styrofoam wig head
•Clear liquid latex (no color tinted latex, just the latex that comes white and dries clear.)
•Powder or cornstarch---- No tinted powders, please.
•Wear old clothes as latex bonds to fabric!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lightly Stipple* with liquid latex over it and let it dry. (*“Stippling” refers to lightly sponging the latex with your stipple sponge or makeup sponge wedge. Cut the edges of the sponge a bit ragged for a more natural effect.)

Cover the whole “bald”/cloth material part of the wig. Let one layer dry before attempting another. It should take at least three layers. Thinner, lighter layers are best.
Take great care to not get the latex into the hair area of the wig.

After the latex dries you can powder it lightly to remove the tackiness. Wait until the entire area is cured or dried. Cornstarch may be used instead of powder if needed.

Now the cloth part of the wig can be made up with the same make-up that you use on the face/prosthetic.

(Remember to put the wig on a plastic wig head or similar surface, so you don’t accidentally ADHERE it to something permanently with the latex. Wrapping a wig head form with plastic wrap should work too.)

·
Pyro
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is my final clown... it was okay, but I think that I am going to try grease makeup next time... I also need to work out the kinks with the mouth area.

clown.jpg

·
Master of Pyrokenisis
1,040 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I'm going to throw in a piece of advice that was given to me that I really like now. I've aways had a problem with the red paint staining my skin for a while even if i use white under it. If you find out that you too have said problem do this. Get you a pair of pantyhose or make a little bag with very thin material. Put baby powder in the bag or pantyhose. After putting down the base layer of white lean back and close your eyes. Tap that little bag over but not on your face and dust your face with baby powder. After that just kind of tap down the powder with a cotton round and set the white paint. No more bleed through problems. I learned this from a local rodeo clown.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts