Halloween Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this really good cold porcelain recipe:
http://www.things-to-make-and-do.co.uk/sculpting-and-modelling/cold-porcelain-clay/cold-porcelain-clay.html

It has a really nice bone colored kind of translucent finish. It can be feathered. i haven't painted it with anything yet, but it seems like it will take acrylic and stains pretty well. It does have a high shrink. A two inch long rope that was a little over one quarter inch shrunk to one and three quarters inches long. It took 3 days for the rope to dry completely. It dried much lighter in weight compared to when it was wet and dried very hard. It has a long work time too and isn't sticky if you add a little bit of cornstarch to it as you kneed it. I actually ended up adding almost another cup of cornstarch whie kneading to get the consistency I wanted.
I've made two batches of this and I like it so much I am seriously thinking of not buying sculpey anymore unless I want glow in the dark or transparent. If you want to color this stuff I would use powdered pigments added while kneading, and wear gloves if you do this.

·
Royalty Unleashed!
2,627 Posts
Thank you very much for this info. I have just started with air-dry clay and the recipe I used via Youtube was a complete bust. It didn't go to waste, though. I simply dissolved it in my paper mache glue mixture which has made my masks much stronger. Anyway, I will try your link and see what happens.
Do you have any pictures you can post of your rope?

·
Registered
629 Posts
I've been using Apoxie Sculpt for years and I've never found anything I liked better. It sets up slowly and can be sculpted then carved and then even machined. You can work in layers and there is little to no shrinkage.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@Empress Nightshade: Sorry, I don't have a picture. Instead of rope i should have said worm. I just rolled a bit in my hands measured it and let it dry and measured it again. If you've made some let me know how it went.
@Chewbacca: I haven't used apoxie sculpt bt I'm sure it's awesome. When I have the money I might try it. I just don't want to spend $20 a pound when I can make almost 2 pounds of a really nice modeling material for less than $5.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts