Halloween Forum banner

Going pro??

1899 Views 17 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  Rclsu13
Hey guys, this year if am hoping to go pro!! I want to ask you a few questions and pick your brains.

1. How much can I expect to pay for a smaller building (blockbuster size)? How about to rent that same building per month?

2. Who do I contact about getting permits and licenses? How about information regarding pathway size, distance to fire extinguishers, and egress?

3. What can I expect to pay in total buildout? Lumber, hardware, wiring, etc.

4. Anything else I could possibly need to know before making the leap.

I appreciate any and all information ahead of time. I'm just looking to get an idea of a few items here. Doing some research

Thanks
Reactions: killerhaunts
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· What Hump?
1,109 Posts
If you can get to Baton Rouge next weekend, Leonard Pickel (Google him) is presenting an all-day course on "How to start your first haunted attraction- without losing an arm and a leg" at HauntCon.
There is a registration fee for the convention, a fee for the course, and you'll have to get yourself there.
Like any business, it takes a bunch of money to start up.

· What Hump?
1,109 Posts
Scatterbrains makes a point that I've heard a lot from people who've gone pro:

It's no longer a hobby.
If you are passionate about Halloween and haunting, you may be disappointed that, when you go pro, you end up spending more time working ON your haunted house business that you get to spend working IN your haunted house.

· What Hump?
1,109 Posts
Form an LLC for liability purposes (and business/tax purposes). That way, your personal assets are separate from your business assets if the business gets sued. You can name it whatever you like (with a few legal restrictions that you'll be made aware of when you go through the incorporation process).

Your haunted attraction name will probably be separate from you company/LLC name. Make sure your chosen haunt name is portable; not tied to one location.

My haunt name is an example of how NOT to do it. I've built up a very good following, locally, while using the name "Fright in Falcon".
What happens if I decide to go pro, and the only venue/location I can find is outside of Falcon, Colorado? The name won't make sense anywhere else, and If I change the name, how will my following know that this is the same haunt?

Best of luck. I love to see success stories.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.