Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, guys. Now that Halloween 2008 has ended, I'm starting to plan next year's event. We're thinking of doing something completely different for us (we usually do a graveyard scene), like a pyscho circus theme or an asylum format. Unfortunately, with a new plan comes the problem of starting from scratch on ideas for the event. I would love to get some helpful feedback from all of you on what types of things I could do. The event will be held outside. Any ideas?

·
Registered
310 Posts
The asylum theme sounds fun - you could do a series of "cells" each with its own nutcase inside. This would give you the option of using animated props and/or real people in costume in each cell. If you had to peer in the window of each cell it gives you a high potential for scaring the crap out of people who look in the cell windows. It also gives you a lot of "artistic' room as each cell could be completely different. You could also add some kind of "therapy" room with torture, electroshock treatment, etc.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Building on azdude's reply, patient cells could be made easily and affordably with 1"x2" furring strips and pvc pipe. The asylum sounds like a great theme. One of my favorite, yet easy scenes is having a guy in costume sitting chained to a bed for about 30 seconds, then he leaps up and runs at the group. Using real metal chains makes the scene, due to the sound.

Electro-shock therapy would also be effective, especially if you could hook up that scene's lights to a color organ, so the lights flicker to the electrical zapping sounds.

Here's a scene I did 8 years ago for a charity haunt: Have an introverted person (preferably female) hugging a doll and rocking back and forth saying "I love my pretty dolly," over and over, gradually getting louder, then changing to "I HATE MY DOLLY AND I HATE YOU!" The actress then rips the head off the doll to reveal a (fake) knife blade attached, with the head as a handle and charges the crowd. It got screams every time. :D

Congratulations on starting a different theme this year! :cool: I have changed my theme every year, in the 11 years I have lived in my current house. It is a lot of work, but word gets out and more and more people come by on Halloween night. I do the same with the skit we do for our Lions Club Haunted Hayride. We change it every year, to keep the scares fresh and people coming by to see what is new.

Eric
________
Honda Z50A

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Going Crazy

Thanks for the great ideas! I will definitely try to build off them. I love the "cells" idea and the electric shock treatment room. I had also thought of depicting an ice bath, but instead of ice, using a pump to pump red-colored water that looks like blood over the victim in the tub with dry ice. What do you think?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The asylum theme sounds fun - you could do a series of "cells" each with its own nutcase inside. This would give you the option of using animated props and/or real people in costume in each cell. If you had to peer in the window of each cell it gives you a high potential for scaring the crap out of people who look in the cell windows. It also gives you a lot of "artistic' room as each cell could be completely different. You could also add some kind of "therapy" room with torture, electroshock treatment, etc.
I love the idea of the cells, and you're right. It wouldn't be hard at all to create different scenarios using love actors and animatronic figures.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Building on azdude's reply, patient cells could be made easily and affordably with 1"x2" furring strips and pvc pipe. The asylum sounds like a great theme. One of my favorite, yet easy scenes is having a guy in costume sitting chained to a bed for about 30 seconds, then he leaps up and runs at the group. Using real metal chains makes the scene, due to the sound.

Electro-shock therapy would also be effective, especially if you could hook up that scene's lights to a color organ, so the lights flicker to the electrical zapping sounds.

Here's a scene I did 8 years ago for a charity haunt: Have an introverted person (preferably female) hugging a doll and rocking back and forth saying "I love my pretty dolly," over and over, gradually getting louder, then changing to "I HATE MY DOLLY AND I HATE YOU!" The actress then rips the head off the doll to reveal a (fake) knife blade attached, with the head as a handle and charges the crowd. It got screams every time. :D

Congratulations on starting a different theme this year! :cool: I have changed my theme every year, in the 11 years I have lived in my current house. It is a lot of work, but word gets out and more and more people come by on Halloween night. I do the same with the skit we do for our Lions Club Haunted Hayride. We change it every year, to keep the scares fresh and people coming by to see what is new.

Eric

I had actually thought of doing a electricshock room, but wasn't sure how to create the effect of the electricity/sparks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts