Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure most of us on here have glued pieces of styrofoam together. There are dozens of different agents out there that we have used with different levels of success. I have never been able to find one that works every time. What seems to work on Monday will not work on Tuesday! Last night I noticed a tombstone coming apart and was going to need to be glued together. I took the tombstone back to the workshop and looked through my assortment of glues and decided that the only thing I can ever get to stick to the styrofoam every time was paint. So, I applied a pretty heavy coat of exterior paint to both pieces of styrofoam and clamped them together and lewet them sit overnight. I was amazed and how well these 2 pieces of foam are stuck together! How long it will last.....who knows! But it was simple and it seems to have worked!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Fabulous idea. I have a tombstone that broke. It is a heart that is jagged in the middle. The one side of the heart broke off. Every yr I fight to put/keep it back on the tombstone. It looks ok broken, but then the top portion will fall off after a bad storm, and w/out fail you can always see the pink styro inside. Hate that. Have tried a lot of glues to get it to stick, but that sounds like it would work great. Have lots of house paint too. Thanks for the suggestion~ Great idea!

·
Registered
97 Posts
i use "great stuff" the name says it all.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fabulous idea. I have a tombstone that broke. It is a heart that is jagged in the middle. The one side of the heart broke off. Every yr I fight to put/keep it back on the tombstone. It looks ok broken, but then the top portion will fall off after a bad storm, and w/out fail you can always see the pink styro inside. Hate that. Have tried a lot of glues to get it to stick, but that sounds like it would work great. Have lots of house paint too. Thanks for the suggestion~ Great idea!
On something like that I would add a 1/2" piece of styrofaom to the back of the tombstone to help support the broken piece and then glue it all up.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Yup, Great Stuff can be used to stick foam together. I use gorilla glue mostly. I used Great Stuff to make the lettering for my Mortuary Sign, just wrote it out on a huge piece of pink foam no need for any other adhesive.

·
crossfit zombie
7,572 Posts
I have used everything also.Next year I will redo the ones that are coming apart and buy the thicker styrofoam to do them with.I have found duct tape works will to aide in keeping it from coming apart.When I see a crack I reglue and duct tape the seam then apply the drywall mixture and repaint it works well.Just to much work.One of mine split at the bottom so I just put duct tape on the seam to hold it together and stuck it back in the ground.

·
1031 Props
1,052 Posts
i'll have to try that.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a rather large tombstone in memory of Jason Vorhees. The thing is about 4' high and 6' long. Some of the decorative things on the sides came off so I have them spiked into the tombstone w/5" nails.

·
Registered
332 Posts
My wife (Dixie) does the lion share of the tombstone building around here (ok, all of the tombstone building) and has used liquid nails in the past. Lately, she has been using both hot glue and wood glue. She puts a layer of both between the sheets of foam. The hot glue will keep the sheets held tight until the wood glue has had time to dry. She raves about it all the time.

She also uses the wood glue mixed with sand to make wood filler and fills in the seams between the sheets of foam. Works like a champ and actually has the texture of stone when dry.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts