Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had an idea for making a glowing potion. Take an appropriate bottle (hopefully one shaped like a "potion"), and put in the contents of a light stick (one that is non toxic). You might need to add some water and other stuff to get the right "body" of the potion, but to get the glow, you can just repurpose those.

Anyone know of a good place to get empty bottles for potions? Preferably a traditional potion shape, not something like a regular wine bottle or something you'd see in a doctor's office.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm looking at chemistry supply stores. I might be able to find something that would work there. As for the chemlights, they are non-toxic and I don't have any kids to worry about. Plus, I already have a few chemlights =P

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm looking at chemistry supply stores. I might be able to find something that would work there. As for the chemlights, they are non-toxic and I don't have any kids to worry about. Plus, I already have a few chemlights =P
I was unaware of that. Anyways I still recommend checking out glow sand.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea, I'll pick some up and see which one works better. If I mix the glow sand into the water, it might make an interesting sparkling effect, but I also suspect that it would settle quickly to the bottom and just provide light.

I think there are some glowsticks out there that are toxic, but specifically Cyalume Chemlights (which I have) are non-toxic. They aren't too expensive if you look around (~$1/each up to ~$2, usually in a pack of 10).

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You mean you had air bubbles constantly bubbling in it? I was thinking more of a static potion that can be picked up and handled.

·
Registered
42 Posts
You mean you had air bubbles constantly bubbling in it? I was thinking more of a static potion that can be picked up and handled.
Ya I had a chem lab thing going. Static may not work for this idea anyways. I'd recommend something thicker than water though.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I'll start with water. I'm sure I'll have to add some things to it to try to get the right opacity though. I'll tinker with some things in my kitchen to try to get it right. You may be right though, I might need to try something other than water. I'll also put some food coloring into it to get the right color and the chemlight/glow sand can provide the glow.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I think I'll start with water. I'm sure I'll have to add some things to it to try to get the right opacity though. I'll tinker with some things in my kitchen to try to get it right. You may be right though, I might need to try something other than water. I'll also put some food coloring into it to get the right color and the chemlight/glow sand can provide the glow.
Might get a cool effect using milk :p anyways good luck hope it turns out well.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Two years ago we made a bunch of witches jars that we wanted to glow. Basically we bought highlighters. Yellow works the best. Slowly drizzle water from the faucet through the felt like ink capsule in the highlighter into a container. Once it is empty you have your water. All you need is a UV black light.

Here is the shelf in our witches scene with black light bars behind the jars. Sorry the flash drowned out a lot of the glow.
DSCF2263.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just put LEDs under your potion bottles, fill the bottles with water, a little food coloring and a couple of drops of Elmer's glue to cloud it up so the light reflects well.
Putting lights under it requires that the potions can't move. I'd prefer to be able to pick them up and handle them without losing their glow. Granted, they will lose it over time as the reaction fades, but the lights I have will stay bright in their tube for ~6 hours. I'll do some experiments with them to figure out what works best.

·
Registered
706 Posts
You can't dilute the stuff from inside a glow stick and still have it glow - tried that, does not work. Also, the problem with opening up a glow stick is that it's really two parts, the outer plastic tube and an inner glass tube and you probably don't want to be dealing with broken glass.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I also tried this a while back. I didn't dilute it at all, and found that the liquid lost its glow really fast (maybe 20 minutes). I'm not a chemist, but I surmised that the chemical reaction that makes the liquid glow needed to NOT be exposed to so much atmosphere - there's not very much air in those cyalume sticks. 'Course, I only tried it with two light sticks, about 15 years ago, YMMV.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts