Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm thinking about this effect where I'd fill up one of those bottles of Crystal Skull vodka (after emptying it properly of course) with some kind of bright glowing liquid.

Ideally I'd fill it with whatever that stuff is that you get in the snap glow-stick bracelets, etc. but that'd take about 500 sticks to get enough liquid.

I'm hoping for ideas & suggestions.

Doesn't need to last but about 6 hours, so it could degrade (like the light stick stuff). But if there's a more permanaent solution I'm all ears. I'd rather not have it hooked up to some source of electricity... would be cool just to be able to pick it up, etc.

Thanks for any suggestions!

·
Registered
114 Posts
If your bottle will be under a black lite, glow paint. Just pour some in roll it around and let it and cork it.

Ta Da

There was a clip on utube that showed peroxide and Mountain Dew. Sorry I couldn't locate it. Seen it months ago, unreal how it glowed. DOn't know if it would last six hours.

Good luck!

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,519 Posts
If your bottle will be under a black lite, glow paint. Just pour some in roll it around and let it and cork it.

Ta Da

There was a clip on utube that showed peroxide and Mountain Dew. Sorry I couldn't locate it. Seen it months ago, unreal how it glowed. DOn't know if it would last six hours.

Good luck!
The mountain dew thing is a hoax. snopes.com: Mountain Dew Glow

The search engine is your friend:

http://www.halloweenforum.com/general-halloween/76158-things-gllow-under-black-light.html

You have two choices:

get a black light (and it needs to be either the long tube or the compact UV fluorescent type - NOT the incandescent bulbs that are complete crap) and use a liquid that is black light reactive. THIS IS THE EASY/CHEAP option. LOTS of stuff is reactive and will glow as long as there is a UV black light on. There are tons of cheap and cool things that glow and in different colors, too. If you have the bulb overhead, the effect will last no matter if you pick it up, etc...

or

get the glow sticks and crack them and dump them into your container. It's time-consuming, messy and you'll probably be spending a little $$ for the amount you'd need to fill your containers but that is the best way to achieve a glow that is not dependent on lighting.

·
Super Moderator
5,844 Posts
Just a note here...that glow stick stuff is a chemical reaction, and it can burn...take the appropriate precautions.

One option I could add is if you use glow in the dark paint, and put your blacklight on a timer. It would only need to turn on for ~15 seconds once every 2-3 minutes to charge the glow in the dark stuff. Alternately, I've seen this effect used with an ordinary bulb turning on for about 5 seconds every minute. Can get quite disorienting...

·
Registered
11 Posts
We had a room lit with black lights and filled bottles with laundry detergent (tide was the brand- i think). We called it alien blood b/c it glows like crazy!!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Tonic waters glows in black light. I tried highlighters over the weekend (the 4 pack with yellow, orange, pink, and blue) and I tried all of them and the yellow and pink one glowed the best. Pink one came out to look more orange though. Just make sure you wear gloves cause I still have it on my hands a little. And I have heard the powder detergant works good.

1,453 Posts
another idea is to take yellow highlighter pens, has to be the neon type. Pull out the sponge inside and let it soak in a jar of water. Once the ink has leeched out of the sponge and into the jar it should glow under a black light. I think I've heard the green neon highlighter will work too but I've not tried that yet.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have opened a yellow high ligther, take out the core of the marker drop it in the bottle with water. Give it around 5 min., pull it out squezze the rest of the ink out of the core. Thewater should be yellow put it under blak light and it should glow nicely.

·
Registered
11 Posts
use highlighters with a black light works well i have found the yellow work the best and it also looks good to mix yellow and green highlighters together. Just take them apart and squeeze the ink tube inside. i would suggest wearing gloves unless you want your hands to glow as well

·
Open up and say "Aaaaahh"
1,562 Posts
ok i just tried the mt dew thing.. sorry to say but it DID work for me..... stuff is freaky!!!!
Do you have pics or video of this? Everything I heard has debunked this as a hoax. I guess the only way to know first hand is to try it, but I'd sure feel stupid if it didn't work based on your advice. Are you SUUUURE this worked for you?

·
Undead Handyman
557 Posts
No need to empty the bottle at all. Build a small box with a hole on top and paint it black. Put a Blacklight CFL in the box underneath the skull bottle. Add an appropriate amount of tonic water (its UV reactive) to the bottle and halfway through the party ,or when there's an adequate audience, start chuggin down your vodka tonic. Don't forget to put your UV contact lenses in just before the performance. If there's enough ambient blacklight your eyes and mouth will glow too.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I second the highlighter option.

I bought a bunch of beakers, bottles, etc. last year - filled them with water and then submerged the insides of a yellow highlighter into the water until all the ink had mixed with the water, then pulled out the highlighter guts and put a cork on the bottles and lit them with some Lemax battery powered blacklights (intended for the Lemax spooky town collectables) and they glowed like nobody's business.

The cool thing is that they're still able to glow almost a full year later!

·
Crawling in my skin
2,236 Posts
Haven't tried this yet but I just got these small round dics made by sylvannia called dot it checkers. They are LED lights that are round and come in a four pack of different colors I got at Walmart. They are $6.99 and when ya press them once they blink and if ya press them again they are steady. The great thing about them is they are watrerproof and they also are magnets. . I am going to place these at the bottom of some of my bottles with colored liquid. I am also going to use them for eyes for some of my props. Will test out the bottles and let ya know how they do.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,519 Posts
ok i just tried the mt dew thing.. sorry to say but it DID work for me..... stuff is freaky!!!!

Seriously, THIS IS A HOAX PEOPLE! IT DOES NOT WORK. :D

and a waste of a perfectly good bottle of Mountain Dew.... :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
I don't know if a bottle of it will work, but I have sqirted palmolive on my walls to simulate green alien blood and it glows with a black light.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts