Halloween Forum banner

241 - 253 of 253 Posts

·
A 1 man army of darkness
2,586 Posts
As I posted in the "other" hot coals thread, LED's & even plain old string lights are usually perfectly fine in Great Stuff/Foam-O-Fill. I've been running a similar method for years with plastic dipped orange light strings, and when disassembled after 2 years and nearly 200 hours of run time. There is no signs of even minor scorching and I didn't bother with whiffle balls or plastic bottle tops. Mine were in direct contact w/ the foam unlike many others, but I didn't use a cheap light string either. Mine (I have 3 different effects using this method) were made with the more expensive Walgreen strings, although I forget the manufacturers name offhand.

I'd be more suspect of that foam skull &/or the light string used itself being defective/cheaply made than the Great Stuff. You can see in Sliders pics above that the foam skull is getting hot enough to crack the paint which indicates it's not the Great Stuff alone, but the lights themselves. I'm not suggesting you shouldn't test first, I'm just saying that there's some other circumstances going on which aren't indicative of the general results many have had with this effect.

My hell hole from 2010, after disassembling for a makeover after Halloween last year. Lights in direct contact with Great Stuff. Note, no scorching, burning, etc...

The different effects they're used in...

DSC02219.jpg

Better pic of the coals...

DSC02221.jpg

Used in the coals under the cauldron & the glowing overflow on the cauldron...

DSC01198.jpg

In summation, I've used this effect quite a bit with no problems. Which is what leads me to my conclusion about it being the only possible variation being the light strings used, since I used the exact same brand of foam & 3 different types of that particular brand. In other words, only use higher quality incandescent light strings &/or LED strings.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just a hint website ShopWildThings dot com does have orange light cellophane gels if you can't find anything else for coloring white lights.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I can't wait to try and replicate one of these. I am going hunting today.

·
A 1 man army of darkness
2,586 Posts
I'm in the middle of revamping my Hell Hole, & thought I'd share how the lava flow is turning out. For the most part, it's sticking with the same formula. Built in sound (demonic whispers, screams of tortured souls, and such), starter flicker circuits x2, & the piped in fog of course. Plus the skeleton is getting the leering effect for a little more animation & I'm considering swapping to aural exciters instead of the traditional speakers. :D

I need another string of lights before I can do the inside of the "hole", but I think it's turning out pretty realistic. What say you?

·
A 1 man army of darkness
2,586 Posts
Many thanks Dave! I keep saying I'm going to do a tutorial on this thing, since so many have requested it. Now's about the perfect time to do so, I'd guess. :D

The only thing that worries me, is that most aren't going to go through the trouble of digging a 2 1/2' diameter, 2' deep hole that it needs to sit the basket down in. I'd be disappointed if no one bothered to give it a go.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I like the green around the rim of the cauldron. I made my glowing coals by taking a big chip bowl on the ground. Then covering it with plastic wrap. Then great stuffed the upsidedown bowl. Once it was set some orange and black spray paint layers for coals. No this is where it really got cool, I put 2 strings of orange string lights and 1 string of "random sparkle" white Christmas lights and I swear it looks like real fire glowing. I'll try and post pic or video soon.

241 - 253 of 253 Posts