Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 335 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cheap, easy, but mine you cannot replace the bulbs.

But the price is so cheap who cares.

Built on the same foam idea as others but without the whiffle balls, ping-pong balls etc.

Pictorial begins now.

Soda bottle tops & bottoms.

Place bottle caps & bottoms on orange lights

Add spray foam.

On with just foam.

Add black spray paint.

Turned on

At night

Under BBQ

BBQ with flash on

I need to install my FCG motor to the bycyle sprokets to rotate the Skeleton.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Great thought!

Yeah, wiffle balls around here are hard to come by. I used a mix of Ping Pong balls cut in half (yeah, PiTA btw) and eventually got tired of cutting balls in half... and layed white plastic grocery bags over the lights lol.

Like the work. Paint is nice! Only thing I'd change, is insteadof "stringing" the foam, I'd have punged bubbles. Squirt bubble... go to another spot... bubble up... and so on. Yours looks FAR from intestines, but I still see strings that would bug me. NO ONE WOULD PROBABLY EVER NOTICE however! So no worries :p

Like the spit too. Are there plans to put "Meat" on the guy? Or does your monsters eat bones and boiled Marrow haha.

·
Crunchitize Me Cap'n
1,654 Posts
Looks great! How did you get just the big gear off of the bike?

·
Registered
9 Posts
What happens when a bulb goes out? Is it time to build a new one? I use wax paper and crumpled up news paper. the foam does not stick well to wax paper and used the newspaper to form the unevenness. Let it dry then pull away the paper. stapled lights to a board and covered it with the dried foam. Now When bulbs go out I just take the coals off and change it. I found this solution because I could find wiffle balls. But I like your Idea with the pop bottle tops.

·
Wild Fandango
1,494 Posts
I'm going to be making mine out of LED bulbs so it's unlikely they need to be replaced. However, I'm going to test out making one by draping clear vinyl sheeting from Walmart or Jo-Ann's over whatever I'm going to use to make it uneven. Hopefully the stuff won't eat through it. That way once it hardens I can just trim the vinyl to the edges and lift it up when I need to get to the lights.

I'm limited on storage space so I may not even keep it after Halloween.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks great! How did you get just the big gear off of the bike?
Just kept taking the "guts" of the sprocket & peadle assembly apart. I did have to grind off the one section because of the doner bike being rusty.

I just got the FCG motor spinning the skeleton tonight.

·
Crunchitize Me Cap'n
1,654 Posts
Just kept taking the "guts" of the sprocket & peadle assembly apart. I did have to grind off the one section because of the doner bike being rusty.

I just got the FCG motor spinning the skeleton tonight.
Hmm. I tried to get a set of mountain bike gears apart but I ended up just ditching the whole set of gears. I was just getting more and more frustrated with it. I tried to pop the pins out, etc.. but just could get it to work. I wonder if you could find just a BMX sprocket at a parts store or something..

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The seceret is JB Weld, It will fix anything.

My sprockets were off of a kids single speed bike so I did not have the other "gears to annoy me.

·
Crunchitize Me Cap'n
1,654 Posts
My sprockets were off of a kids single speed bike so I did not have the other "gears to annoy me.
Ahh lucky. I might have to try something like this next year. I'm yet to figure out next years prop... as it seems I add something new every year. This year it was a MIB.

·
Wild Fandango
1,494 Posts
Mine came out pretty good but I either sprayed it too thick or used too much paint (I lightly painted it fluorescent red before applying a light misting of textured black, which came out smoky grey). It's a very dull fire. I'm going to pick up another strand of LEDs to see if I can brighten it up a bit.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I went to Knotts scary farm this year and they had a glowing coals effect that used aluminum foil to reflect and orange pulsing light

1 - 20 of 335 Posts