Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got to decorate a wooden wall for a party as cheap as possible was thinking of opening a few tubes of Glow Sticks and splattering it as a background effect on the wall. Anyone tried this before and would it work do you think? :eek:

·
Registered
383 Posts
I may be wrong..usually am..but I think what makes those glow sticks work is the chemical reaction..so if the the come out of the tube will they still glow? plus how toxic are they?? ( I didnt google it so ...grain of salt)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah you have to snap them first to work and the ones I'm getting are non toxic well thats what it say's on the labels. Not baught any of them yet tho to even try just wondered if I'd be wasteing my time and money on them

·
Registered
314 Posts
Yeah, this doesn't sound like a great idea. They say non-toxic because the sticks themselves are fine, but they're not meant to be punctured because the fluid inside is, in fact, chemical. Also many glow sticks have small glass shards inside (which is what you're breaking when you'e activating the chemicals) and the last thing you want is tiny pieces of glass everywhere.

An alternative is tonic water, which glows under a black light. You could also try Glow Powder

·
Registered
128 Posts
As a little kid I was TERRIFIED of the chemical inside of glow sticks! :rolleyes:

One time this girl in my glass broke one and the glow stuff went into her eye. We were on a bus coming back from a field trip and we had to pull over and call an ambulance... and she had to go to the hospital. She lived and is ok. But we weren't allowed to buy glow sticks on field trips anymore. :rolleyes:

ANYWAY...

Why don't you just use some cheap - as - dirt neon colored acrylic paint from the craft store? Then hit it with a black light?

Like this stuff: https://www.google.com/search?q=neon+acrylic+paint&hl=en&gbv=2&oq=&gs_l=

CHEAP! $0.69 each! And you would get a lot more for the $$ and be able to use it year after year...

And you would probably get a better quality glow than from the glow sticks.

I think the main issue with the glow stick goo is that it can cause irritation - itching, burning, redness, etc. - if you touch it. As mentioned - some of them have glass inside - that is usually what breaks to start the reaction. Plus they would be kind of messy and difficult to work with - trying to squeeze all that stuff out of the tubes. you know?

EDIT: Do you need to be able to wash it off the wall?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the ideas based in the UK and glow paint is quite hard to get offline here unless you want to spend a fortune. Don't have to wash anything off the wall as long as it's non toxic it's to decorate inside a shed. Not got any electric points available (I wish!) as it's in the middle of a field I've seen a few ideas with the glow stick's on pinterest but all the photo's look photoshopped/edited to make max impact in the pictures I think :eek:

·
Registered
108 Posts
i did similar on a black sheet for a glow in dark/uv party we're having and unless their is a uv light directly above them they dont show up, but i bought uv/glow in dark paint from paintglow.com and they are great. and please be careful as the liquid inside can burn as i found out at my wedding my son broke the whole tube and got some on his hand - he had nice burns there!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts