Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am putting together a haunted garage this year. So far I've installed four 4ft black lights on the ceiling. I looked at the glow in the dark skeletons at Home Depot, but I don't really like the look of them. I bought a skeleton from Costco and I like the way it looks, but it doesn't glow in the dark. Has anyone ever tried spray painting a skeleton with glow in the dark spray paint? If so, how did it work?

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Look for fluorescent paint. That's where you get the results with black lights.

Make sure you get actual fluorescent paint and not neon. neon may possibly be fluorescent but it's likely to just be bright, whereas fluorescent reacts to the fluorescent black lights.

You can get it lots of places. The spray cans are fairly expensive and only give a relatively small coverage. Many places have tempera paints but beware that these tend to be thick and flaky and may not hold up over the loong haul.

I order all mine from Dick Blick Art Materials https://www.dickblick.com/products/blickrylic-student-acrylics/

Only $5.37 per pint/$9.53 per quart and with free shipping over $35.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you just want the skeleton to glow in a "natural" colour, then you'll need a clear UV paint. @David_AVD has a demo of the Montana UV Effect on his site (like to product on that page is to an AUS seller), but it looks like Dick Blick sells it
Thank you! I found it on Amazon as well. With free shipping it turns out to be cheaper than Dick Blick. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LW0B0XL/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

One of the reviewers says: "
You will also need to use a lacquer or sealant over your final paint job. If you don't, you will find that this "dusty" paint rubs off onto everything."

Could you suggest a sealant for me to use? Would I use a acrylic sealant like this?: https://www.amazon.com/Aleenes-Spray-Finish-Acrylic-Sealer/dp/B003W0A19U/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=spray+sealant&qid=1567397467&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Thank you.

·
It's pronounced "Fronkensteen."
410 Posts
I do a large amount of my display with florescent & glow in the dark items under black lights. I've never tried a skeleton (yet). One thing I've learned with most of my items is you need a solid white reflective layer under the color or glow paints, this will really make them pop out. Any base white will do, gloss is better than flat. Often, the proper white will 'glow' better under black-light than an actual Glow-in-the-dark paint. GITD paint is meant to absorb light, then release it later, not reflect it.

When using Black lights, be sure you are using Florescent black lights, not LED. LED comes close but does not put out the correct frequency to get the full effect. The CFL 'bulbs" are good for small areas, but for large areas I have 4' florescent tubes that I mount into my shop light fixtures. I've even made special tombstone enclosures for the shop lights.

Here you can see the tombstones with the florescent paint, the two large front tombstones house the shop lights.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
hjg0989
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing