Halloween Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Dead and loving it.
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought anyone who needs some glow in the dark paint might benefit from this.

In the craft section at Wally World, I found a craft paint that Plaid makes called Glow Away. It comes in a 4 oz bottle and is sold year around! The best thing was it was under $5 bucks.

·
Reaper Queen
8,623 Posts
thanks Dionicia, is it a color, or just a wash on that glows? I have a spray, that Hobby Lobby sold at halloween time, I think it might be out all year, but it is basically no color, just makes things glow under black light- best part was, seeing as it was in the halloween section I got it on clearance after halloween.! But. will check out Wally world just to know whats available!

·
Registered
152 Posts
one could paint the rooms to look like a crime scene - but only in blacklight... :D

of course there is always the hotel room blacklight check... one could paint that into a few rooms... but thats just wrong and sick ;)

·
Registered
37 Posts
If you want the same effect but temporarily.. use laundry detergent. Of course, if you want to go all in, there is a cool, solar activated powder you can mix into paint or even concrete. Made a skull and cross bomes in a mate’s driveway with it when they poured the new foundation for their garage. Looked pretty bad ass.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I actually hand detailed every stone (roughly 35) I have with metallic and glow in the dark paints. Most def recommend a couple of black lights to help it pop. I'll have to get some pics

·
black light queen
2,542 Posts
incase anyone is interested in blacklight uv reactive paints ...

i've been doing a blacklight yard & porch display for over 10 years ... i have a web page with videos of halloweens' from many years ago ... click here for that => thathalloweenhouse.xyz ... everything is painted with blacklight sensitive paints

amk

·
Registered
4 Posts
incase anyone is interested in blacklight uv reactive paints ...

i've been doing a blacklight yard & porch display for over 10 years ... i have a web page with videos of halloweens' from many years ago ... click here for that => thathalloweenhouse.xyz ... everything is painted with blacklight sensitive paints

amk
What kind of black light paint do you use?

·
black light queen
2,542 Posts
initially, i mainly used the typical fluorescent & neon craft paints that you can find at wal-mart & similar type establishments. i'm always experimenting & trying numerous manufacturers. some of the paints that i liked are not available anymore & some have changed their compositions over the years. pretty much all fluorescent/neon work well. some of the "more expensive" paints available in hobby lobby & michaels have more concentrated pigments & look better under black light / uv lighting than some of the "less expensive" paints from wal-mart/target/dollar stores/ etc. in any case it is surprising how good everything looks even though all i'm doing is mainly dabbing a small paint brush or sponge on the props.

masters touch & liquitex are good "better than average" paints. there are other brands that i like, but don't recall their names :-(

wildfire brand paints are one of the best, although, on the more expensive side. their fluorescent white is amazing & highly recommended if you want something to fluoresce white. i used that on my home depot large horse & spider. you'll see them on my web page videos.

really there is no "bad" fluorescent/neon paint. they all work to various degrees, & although you can use "glow-in-the-dark" paints under black light, but they all look almost identical. green & yellow also look very similar under blacklight.

fyi, my preferred method for applying the paints is to use a craft paint brush or sponge to "dab" the paint on the prop. i find that brushing leaves brush strokes that are too visible. you can also "air brush" diluted paint onto props, but i don't like the effect as much because the props look too "perfect" & dabbing gives a them a more organic look.

amk

·
Registered
284 Posts
Most of the glow paints sold in big box stores are crap and don't work very well. If your looking for a good brand try DarkFX, Wildfire, or ProFX by Glomania. ProFX is what I used to create my souls / ghosts:

(original post): Atmosphere Effects: - Ghost Prop Help

The paint appears clear / transparent in daylight but glows in the dark or with a UV light. I tried various application methods but ended up using a sponge brush and "patted" the paint on. The photo below was a prototype I made. There is no lighting, the glow effect is just the paint after being "charged" in sun light for about 15 minutes. The color irregularities (dark spots) are due to gray paint that I painted on the prop to make it look more ghost like during the day. If you want an even glow then just use a solid white base coat.

01.jpg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts