Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some lovely brown bottles that have labels permanently painted on them. Here's an example:

a Red Stripe bottle.
I love the shape of the bottle, but I cannot figure out how to remove the label. I want to use them for something creepy, but it kinda looses the creepy factor when it says "BEER" on the side of it. :D
Some similar labels have come off with acetone and some elbow grease, but some of them seem almost etched into the glass. Has anyone encountered something like this?

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have, and what I usually use is a combination of Gojo (a hand paste with grit in it that my husband uses to get duck seal off of him) and fingernail polish remover. DO NOT mix the two together directly, as I'm not sure of the effects the chemicals have combined, but use the Gojo first and scrub it on there, rinse off with warm water, put on some fingernail polish remover and scrub, then rinse it off again and repeat. Still takes some work though, but that's the fastest way that I've found so far.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I would think Goof Off would work. It stinks to high heaven and you will need to open a window or two. I use it on all those irritating stickers they put all over things.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually guys, these aren't stickers. They're not paper at all. See where it says '12 fl oz.' at the bottom of the label? It almost seems like a screen printing process, but etched so that it won't scratch off. That's what's driving me crazy. I can deal with the paper labels, but this is something very different.
I am gonna try Goo Off though, that may make a difference.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Most of the bottle I have worked with I have taken a single edge razor blade and scrapped it. this takes the inprinted one off as well. If you need to get easy glue off just use WD40

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm, interesting idea, I was trying to scrape it off with a knife and it seemed to just be marring the paint, but I think I razor blade could be sharp enough.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Couldn't you just put a label over top of it? I guess it depends on how many you have, but office supply stores usually carry packages of label sheets (sometimes they have kits for wine bottles), you could design something fancy in photoshop, print them off and stick them over the original labels.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well the razor blade didn't work, unfortunately. Don't have an Goo Gone, so that's on the back burner, but I did read an interesting idea elsewhere - oven cleaner. I think I'll try that next.

DeepSix - I'd rather not have to resort to that since I will be using the bottles for lighting, but it's a good last resort if the label refuses to come off!

·
Registered
175 Posts
My apologies, HappyScientist. Thought that the label was just some really tough stick on! AHH!!! Just a thought though... Have you tried sandpaper? Like 250 grit maybe?

·
Registered
30 Posts
StarSan will remove painted labels

Works great. Mix up a solution that's a little stronger than you would to sanitize, soak the bottles for an hour or two. Usually melts the silkscreening right off
Might need to use a scouring pad a little. Never tried it on red stripe but it works on Stone, Rogue, etc

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
StarSan will remove painted labels

Works great. Mix up a solution that's a little stronger than you would to sanitize, soak the bottles for an hour or two. Usually melts the silkscreening right off
Might need to use a scouring pad a little. Never tried it on red stripe but it works on Stone, Rogue, etc
Hmm, sounds interesting Deviant. Do you know if it's available at regular retail stores? I saw it online on mostly beer brewing websites. Maybe I can find a home brewing store that would have i tin stock?

dippedstix, I'm wanting to arrange the bottles altogether over a light source and fill them with a murky watery substance so that the light will shine through the liquid and the glass and give off a creepy brown glow :)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LOl, that's ok Deviant. Any advice is good advice. I may be able to find a home brewing supply store here in Charleston. Thanks!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I haven't given up yet on the bottles I already have. I will be going grocery shopping this weekend where hopefully I will find the perfect combo of mad scientist potions to remove the paint. Thanks everyone for your great comments!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Has anyone tried to "soak" the bottle in nail polish remover, or even alcohol? The paint used should soluble to some extent and it may make removal that much easier. My 2 cents.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts