Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
i just hate that i have to pull out 16 Tubs of Xmas stuff, put it back in the tubs and then Put the Tubs back up where they go, and i dont even decorate a thing outside it's all inside.

·
A Wee Bit Wicked
1,292 Posts
I'm just tired of the over commercialization, the stress financially of trying to get gifts for everyone and the awkwardness when you don't
:eek:I get it....that does make things seem bleak during a joyous time. My family stopped exchanging gifts 10 years ago. It makes things so much simpler. If you WANT to give a gift, it has to be something you made, or baked. Honestly, it was the best thing we ever did. All that aside....roll up your sleeves...it's time for Halloween 2015!!!:D;)

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
We exchanged a lot less stuff this year, but had a very nice immediate-family Christmas. I enjoy decorating, but I think next year we should have a smallish holiday party so our decorating efforts can be shared with others.

·
Monster Collector
3,385 Posts
We are as well. Christmas would be a lot more enjoyable if it was just "our" family. (my wife, son and daughters) We understand the what the day means and enjoy the simpler celebration.

Now, bring on New Years, something we DO NOT celebrate, so we can get on with 2015.

·
Prop Master
728 Posts
We are as well. Christmas would be a lot more enjoyable if it was just "our" family. (my wife, son and daughters) We understand the what the day means and enjoy the simpler celebration.

Now, bring on New Years, something we DO NOT celebrate, so we can get on with 2015.
We have been doing a smaller xmas for a few years now, and it has been much more enjoyable with out all the fuss of pushing people out the way at a store to save $5 on a every year. now we just give the kids money and have a nice dinner with each other. We don't celebrate New Years either, just waiting for this year to be over so we can get on with 2015.

·
Registered
20,825 Posts
Throw in a big ^&$#ing "Bah Humbug" from me. This time of year makes me feel worse yet, so I will be quite glad to have it over with, too...

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Bring on the Christmas (pronounced "Halloween") clearance LED lights and battery op candles! One year, I even snagged two of those animated lighted wire deer in perfect working condition on the trash day after Christmas.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
We had a BALL on Christmas. All month long, actually. There is NO holiday too small for my family to celebrate, LOL. The "leprechaun" even leaves chocolate coins all over the house on St. Patrick's Day. Haven't found a fantasy gift-leaving figure for Arbor Day yet, but I'm sure I'll work that out eventually.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
As a kid, teen, adult we always drove 65 miles away to a bigger town to have a big meal with relatives. Nearly all of them are "gone" now. the cousins don't care, too far away , ex cetra.
I miss the Great Uncle , his silly Wife, the banter between my Dad and his two sisters. along with others who came and left the family ..
There were traditions of the Uncle cooking the Turkey, Aunts making certain dishes, deserts! Pies, wilted cabbage (in vinegar) Remembering my Cousin's Husband (now "Ex") saying before he became a part of this family , that he thought the only thing anybody used Vinegar for was washing windows!
The part of Christmas I don't miss was my younger sister thumbing through all the catalogs Christmas morning, pricing out how much our Parents had spent on each of us, then throwing a fit if her total was 2cenrts less than mine or little brother's total. "WHAAA!" (And catalog's prices vary , did you get the right catalogs?)

·
Monster Collector
3,385 Posts
As a kid, teen, adult we always drove 65 miles away to a bigger town to have a big meal with relatives. Nearly all of them are "gone" now. the cousins don't care, too far away , ex cetra.
I miss the Great Uncle , his silly Wife, the banter between my Dad and his two sisters. along with others who came and left the family ..
There were traditions of the Uncle cooking the Turkey, Aunts making certain dishes, deserts! Pies, wilted cabbage (in vinegar) Remembering my Cousin's Husband (now "Ex") saying before he became a part of this family , that he thought the only thing anybody used Vinegar for was washing windows!
The part of Christmas I don't miss was my younger sister thumbing through all the catalogs Christmas morning, pricing out how much our Parents had spent on each of us, then throwing a fit if her total was 2cenrts less than mine or little brother's total. "WHAAA!" (And catalog's prices vary , did you get the right catalogs?)

That's another thing that has really changed our view on Christmas "celebration". Between deaths. divorces and what not, the family structure is not what it was when I was a kid. Heck, not even what it was 15 years ago. It's a shame really. I can honestly say that Halloween is the only time of year that is pure enjoyment for us.

Reactions: 22606

·
Halloween Nut
2,942 Posts
That's another thing that has really changed our view on Christmas "celebration". Between deaths. divorces and what not, the family structure is not what it was when I was a kid. Heck, not even what it was 15 years ago. It's a shame really. I can honestly say that Halloween is the only time of year that is pure enjoyment for us.
I hear you and agree. We live 2000 miles from my mom and about 1000 miles from the inlaws. It makes family celebrations very small indeed.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Who needs a 'Bah Hum Bug" all this means to me is that I've got to get past Christmas and New Years then it is planning for next year by repairing what was damaged during the sever weather that blew through the day after Halloween this year and then deciding what new props will be built this year. Down time during winter is just more fun for me to work and make things better for the year to come. I stay occupied during these cold months because if I didn't I would truly go crazy just sitting around the house waiting for spring to come. I'm hands on, I've got to work on something, it keeps me motivated.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Now that my sister and I are in our late 20s and our mom died 10 years ago, we don't really need Christmas. We are adults and can buy our own things, although my dad still gets us little stuff and cash, I don't really buy much of anything.

We usually get Chinese food and see a movie together but that didn't even pan out this year. They didn't want to see the last Hobbit movie, so I saw it alone. Sister confesses that she hates our usual Chinese place, and dad's gf ended up being sick so he took care of her.

Then boyfriend had to work, so I spent the day largely by myself, saw The Hobbit, worked out at my 24 hour gym (it's also where I work, even though I had the day off, ha), took a nap, made myself some nachos and saw my family briefly. It was also my first day off in 17 day so it was nice to be alone.

Now, on to Halloween!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts