Halloween Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I am building a simple but giant spider this year. Pictures will be coming soon. I plan on putting him on top of my porch. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to "attach" him to the roof of my porch? His legs will be PVC, probably 1/2 inch. I'm still working up the details. I'm just thinking ahead about how to keep him up there and secure. I can come back and post pictures of my porch if need be. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Spider roof day.jpg

Here is the spider on top of my garage. What I did was set mine on the roof and where the legs are on the roof I ran eye screws into the roof. I predrilled the holes and put glue in the holes. Ran the eye screws in and then used black jack caulk and caulked around the screws to weather seal them. Drilled holes through the PVC legs and set those over the eye screws. Then ran zip ties through the PVC and eyelet to secure her to the roof. She was up there in 60MPH winds and never moved. Just make sure to use the heavier zip ties.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is perfect. Exactly what I was looking for. I was worried about putting holes in my roof. How large were the eye screws that you used? Thanks!

·
Registered
681 Posts
3/4" Outside Diameter. My smallest PVC at the tips of the legs is 3/4" so they work perfect. And yes putting holes in the roof was a worry for me too but I figured if I sealed them with black jack it wouldnt be a problem and so far no leaks. I do check and re-caulk them each year to be safe. The black jack caulk is the same thing they use around the flashing and stuff on a roof anyway.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts