Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
I am constantly amazed at the level of creativity and craftsmanship people display on these forums. This is going to look awesome when it's done. I'm digging the pumpkin in the background as well.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Looking good! I am currently working on a giant roof spider, what did you use for the framework for the body and head? Looks like whatever you did you wrapped it in chicken wire. What are your plans?

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! Josh, I made the head and body out of tension wire and chicken wire. I created circles out of the tension wire and zip ties to create a globe. Then wrapped it.

Here are a couple close ups of the chicken wire balls. I have come to the conclusion that you can make anything out of chicken wire and tension wire.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is the bottom where the leg attachments are permanantly attached to the base. You can twist these to create different angles. I call it a Universal Spider since it can sit on the ground, a chimney or look like it is walking and the body can be in mid air.

This is the other side where the U-bolts are attached. The legs just pop into those 45s around the edges.

·
Protector of the winged
1,490 Posts
This is awesome! I look forward to seeing the end result (as I do all of them) :)

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rania, is the globe all flexible and stuff? That tension wire loose isnt real rigid is it?
The tension wire will come off the roll curved so it works really really well when doing curved work with it. It is bendable though so you can really create whatever shape you want. I used it to make the hat for pumpkin head and that had circular pieces, straight pieces and then the 90 degree bends for the hat tip. So it really does whatever you want it to. You just have to work it a little bit.

The globe is fairly solid. The more tension wire you use, the more solid it is. I will actually take the tension wire and mesh it through the holes of the chicken wire to create more tension as it goes. Does that make sense? I should have some videos about the process soon.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Those pics are great. I love your scary basement with all those critters! :)

How are you going to cover the mesh and flesh your giant arachnid?
Haha thanks! That is actually my workshop. I have a fun 3 minute video on my You Tube channel of all the insane stuff in my workshop. It is definitely inspirational in there!

As for the spider covering, I am probably going to buy some black faux fur for the body and possibly spray foam the head depending on how the eyes are done. I may fur the head too or half of the head. The legs will have a combination of burlap, paint, and glue. The goal is to be furry, textured and gnarly.

·
Registered
438 Posts
That is one super awesome spider! Great tips on the tension wire too. Perfect spheres are so hard to make with chicken wire.
The fur sounds like it will make it extra gruesome. Can't wait to see it when it's finished!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
About this Discussion
59 Replies
31 Participants
OctoberDream
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing