Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! My name is Kaylee and I am new to the forum. I have a small issue with a prop and was hoping someone could give me some advice. My issue:

I’m making two 6 foot lawn spiders. PVC body frame, tension wire/chicken mesh head and body covered by faux fur fabric. I was thinking about making a huge collar to go around the spiders head with a chain running from the collar to a tree. I thought the collar/chain would be a nice touch and also make it hard to steal. I’m not sure what to make the collar out of.

Any ideas on a super awesome spider collar that would be pretty hard to snap off? Can’t have them escaping and eating the neighborhood children!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome!
Why didn't I think of a belt! That just might work. Belts are pretty hard to cut.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm starting it this weekend. I'm going to make a 3 foot version first for trial and error reasons. I need to figure out my body proportions so I can order fabric. Faux fur sure isn't cheap but looking at the other materials I didn't see any that screamed spider. I will take pictures and post them on Monday. Hoping it turns out how I vision it. If not I'll call for back up, my 9 year old! He drew out plans for the 7 foot grim reaper we are making, and also for a few static prop guys climbing out of the bushes. He really wants to help with the spiders but he broke his wrist so he does more watching then helping. Curb VS scooter..........curb won. He gets the cast off in two week so we have plenty of time to get this all together.

·
Registered
503 Posts
At my Home Depot, we have grass shag rugs for outdoors that come in a gray/black color. Just like long blade artificial turf. "Made of 100% UV stabilized Olefin, this soft and comfortable turf is easy to clean and won’t fade." They have a flexible backing and the grey/black looks like spiky hair. One thing about fake fur is it has a tendency to lay flat when wet. That may not be an issue for you and of course I'm sure cost comes into the picture too!

Grey grass.jpg

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hello and welcome Tinytugs!! How about using the chain in a loop around the spiders neck instead of a collar?? Sorta like a dogs choke chain!! That would look good and make it very hard for them to escape!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you everyone for all the help and tips. I'm going to home depot this week to check out that rug, thanks for the tip PoCoHauntGal. I took a few pictures but I cant get them off my phone. I'll try again later today. Turned okay, no injuries from the chicken wire so that's a plus!

·
Registered
237 Posts
you can make a chain by cutting 1/2" slices off a 1/2" pvc pipe,cut a slot open and place the next slice in and cont.making a chain ,then paint.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts