Halloween Forum banner

161 - 180 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
ATTN: Gaiam Yoga stores or whatever online is selling a pink yoga ball and pump and DVD for 11:96 plus free shipping if you use code AFALL10FS
I just grabbed one in the hopes of doing something similar to this spider down the road. (balance ball I believe they called it... seemes cheap... hope so I already wasted the money.)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Here it is in the front yard!

spider front yard daylight.jpg

This was right after we got it up.

I need to have my friend with the great camera come snap some photos. My point and shoot does not do justice to night shots.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I realize it's pretty late in the game to try and make major modifications, but I've been thinking of exactly the setup you are doing TK421.

In the past we had bungee cords that attached to some point in between the spiders abdomen and thorax and to somewhere about half way down the first section of leg. With the right lighting you couldn't really see the bungee cords and a slight breeze was enough to give them a little bit of motion, but only a little. My idea (which I have not done anything with yet) is to put a rocker arm just to the front of the abdomen with a wire running to the first joint in each leg, so that if one leg rises, the other falls, so that they effectively balance one another. A low RPM motor with a short crank and a push rod running from that to the rocker arm should get the legs moving.

Something like this:

Spider Articulation.jpg

·
>^..^<
795 Posts
Just wanted to post to thank you, TK and Spider Rider, and everyone else on the thread. There seems to be a very large spider in my backyard - some kind of cold weather species, judging by its habitat. ;)

Presenting... Huit!

I wouldn't have ever had the nerve to try and build something this involved without the help of your generosity in sharing your creative process, so I sincerely thank you so very much!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Here's mine! The Great Stuff was an excellent idea! It has 8 "follow you" eyes, and is made from a cut down plastic barrell and an excerise ball (and lots of PVC!)
The front legs are hooked up to a motion detector and move back and forth when the kids get to close. (I'll try and get a video up soon) spider in progress1  2011.jpg spider in progress 2 2011.jpg spider in progress 3 2011.jpg spider complete 1 2011.jpg graham spider 2011.jpg

·
Registered
150 Posts
Wow! What a great drawing. I'll definitely reference that! Thank you.
Thanks go to Google SketchUp and not me. I got the gear motor from their 3D Warehouse, so all I did was draw some bars with holes in them.

Once you get reasonably good with it (I'm getting there, but not there yet) it's great for figuring out how something complex is going to work (like will a giant spider fit on your roof the way you want, or not) without having to climb around on your roof with a giant spider, or waist materials trying something that won't work or the like. I'm still not good enough that I can do it quickly, though.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have wondered if you can fill up a beachball with sprayfoam. It would be tricky to no over fill it, but you would end up with either a ridgid plastic ball or a huge ball of foam.

·
Registered
53 Posts
this was a dollar store 48" beach ball coated with way to many cans of great stuff...
1011619_541847899222404_2073556056_n.jpg
I added chicken wire to the front cause I was going to cut in to it for a pumkin face.
IMG_2216.jpg
Still holding up after almost a year of being outside.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Awesome work and thank you for sharing your trials, errors and hard-fought wisdom on this build. When I build mine I'll add it to the gallery here of proud spiders and happy builders.

·
Registered
268 Posts
These were from a while back. I took the largest exercise ball they make, 75cm I guess, and power grab glued another 20" walmart ball to it for my thorax.

1.jpg

The first try I used hot glue. The small ball won't take high temp hot glue. The above is the second attempt. I then hot glued strips of cardboard between the two using low temp glue.

2.jpg

Added more strips.

3.jpg

And then I duct taped the gaps.

4.jpg

Ready for paper mache.

5.jpg

I'm well beyond this point. I've put on 8 layers of paper mache, sealed it with Seal Krete, and put on a ton of warts with Great Stuff. I've epoxied a board on the fat part that the cephalothorax will attach to with a few bolts. Three of my legs are warted and ready to get painted.

The legs have a 11' span. When complete, it will hang vertically off of the peak of my garage from a support I've yet to build.

My cauldron decided to make a cameo in the photos too. it's almost done. Its only waiting for oatmeal rust and rust paint to finish it out. Motor is attached, holes drill for fog machine plumbing and handles are hot glued on.

161 - 180 of 186 Posts