Halloween Forum banner

141 - 160 of 186 Posts

·
Hauntless
8,351 Posts
I can not even believe you guys made those from scratch, sooooooo impressive. Reading through this thread I was almost equally impressed that Terra
knew that a specific part of the spider was called the thorax. I would have never been able to pull that out of my hat, I would have said the big ball and the
little ball.
Google is my friend (but had to look at more pictures of spiders to get that answer) <shudder>

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
TK, if you get a few minutes would you be able to give me the rough measurements of your legs. Or at least your spider's legs? I'm itching to get building one of these this week and figure why re-invent the wheel, right?
The measurements are simple and the angles can be fudged, but I made two sets of legs for my standing spiders. the inner four have a 90 degree bend so they come up more and stay closer to the body. The front and rear sets stretch out more and come away from the body with a sofer bend.

Also, what kind of wire did you use to make the hoop that holds up the exercise ball? So many questions! I've been telling my wife for about three years now that I'm going to build a big spider like this, but never seemed to find one that looked easy enough to do and still looked spectacular. Thanks for the detailed build.
I lucked out with the wire. We had an old fabric play tunnel that was torn up, but the thick wire was still good, so I used that.

·
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
Those were the measurements for my 2" ABS (black) legs for my first spider. For the second spider I used 1" PVC (white) and I just went with 90 and 45 degree elbows.

·
Registered
240 Posts
So for your 1" spider you used 90 and 45s for all 8 legs?

Edit: looking closer at the photos it looks like you used one 90 and one 45 for four legs and then two 45s for the other four legs. Is this right?

·
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
TK - thank you so much for the step by step - they look terrific! Would you be able to guesstimate how much they turned out to weigh?
Each leg is probably 5-7 pounds once the padding and great stuff is on.

The body itself is pretty light, maybe 10 pounds.

The ball is just an exercise ball with some creepy clothe over it, so it's just another pound or two.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey all- I'm new to the site and so far It's been very educational.
TK47- your Great stuff tutorial is going to be an awesome help to my yard spider this year. I'm building a spider that will rest on the ground with a child size scarecrow holding it's leash. The front legs are (hopefully!) going to move up and down via a wiper motor when the kids get near it.
The foam idea is a great way to give it a touch more realism!
Do you think it would have any chemical effect on an excersize ball? I'd hate to have this thing pop on me, especially coated in wet spray foam!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Nice work on this! I am going to try and build a similar one in the next week...gotta love the last minute stuff!

You've mentioned how you made the legs removable. I was just curious how you have been attaching them to make sure the stay attached, but can easily remove them too. The PVC joints will get loose as you work them in and out. If y

Thanks in advance!

·
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
HELP!!

Please, dear Pumpkin King, help!

I want my spider's front legs to move more!

Okay, I have built my third spider and my aspiration is to have the spider move it's front legs as they dangle over the side of the house. I have mounted a F150 wiper motor under the spider and I attached a paddle that rotates and hits the leg to make it move. That was the theory.

Problem 1: Paddle hits leg and stops
Solution 1: Attach springs to the top of the legs to help relieve some of the weight.

Problem 2: Paddle only hits one leg.
Solution 2: extend the paddle length and reduce spring tension.

Now, I have done all that, and the paddle is still only hitting the one leg, but more important, I don't think I'm on the right trach with the paddle idea. I really want to do something "bigger".

Problem is, but mechanical brain is fried and I just can't think of how to repurpose the motor (in it's current position) to make the legs move better.

Please, I just need some suggestions on how to improve this thing. Wires, rods, springs, paddles, etc.

·
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
Nice work on this! I am going to try and build a similar one in the next week...gotta love the last minute stuff!

You've mentioned how you made the legs removable. I was just curious how you have been attaching them to make sure the stay attached, but can easily remove them too. The PVC joints will get loose as you work them in and out.

Thanks in advance!
I secure the joints to the torso plank and then just slip the pipe in and out. The connections are tight enough on the 1" ABS that you don't need to worry about additional anchoring. On the 2" PVC, I ended up putting screws through each joint to hold the leg in place.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Could you use smaller springs to pull the leg(s) in an upward position, and use the motor to pull a cable to pull them down?
Could you make a larger paddle with the same shape on the other end so that it hits on every half revolution, and not just the one time?
I just built a yard spider, and i wanted the front legs to go up and down (using the wiper motor) but it was more trouble than it was worth, so i adapted the Grave Grabber Mech from a few years ago to simply have them thrust out. It still looks pretty creepy, and so far the kids like the idea. (I still need to Great Stuff it and paint it to hopefully get it out by Monday!) Maybe you can do the same with the Grabber Mech pushing the legs out.
Here's the site that had the excellent how-to instructions: http://www.fulcrumsites.com/haunt/html/the_grave_grabber.html

·
Registered
6 Posts
TK421,

Your build on these spiders inspired me to do one. I have been contemplating one for years. I still have to finish the texture on the upper part of the legs and move it out front tonight, but here it is.

It is a little over 5 feet tall at the lower part of the belly, I haven't measured the leg span, but it is well over 15 feet. The eyes are led red orbs that I gutted from a plastic vampire head that cost me 6 bucks. The legs are 2 inch ABS pipe that transition to 1.5 inch for the lower segment. Body is yoga ball and foam.

Here are two shots of it still in the backyard.

spider whole body.jpg
spider eyes.JPG

141 - 160 of 186 Posts