Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 186 Posts

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This year, I am adding three giant spiders with tack and riders to my Halloween display. These giant spiders will be climbing on the roof near the tower with one leaning over the front of the house. I would like to thank Spider Rider for his guidance in the planning stages of this build.

Today, I went to Lowes and bought 50 feet of 1.5 inch drain pipe and a whole bunch of joints. I also went to Target and bought a 75cm exercise ball for $9.

This is the dry run result.

Here are a couple of pics of a 5 ft bluckie sitting on the spider. My hope is to build up the "skin" of the spider and then put on a tack and saddle so each giant spider can have a rider.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Very good & promising!

Even though I have a dreaded fear of spiders (nothing else bothers me but spiders!) I can't help but like the look of them. I have to say you have the anatomy spot on there - very creepy and it would scare me personally more than any other type of prop I can think of - I just hate spiders!

Thankfully over here in the UK we don't have any venomous spiders so my fear is totally irrational, but regardless I still hate them!

The biggest ones we have here are housespiders, otherwise known as 'wolf' spiders. They can be as large as maybe 4" (possibly 5" at a push) but although they are harmless to humans, they are actually the most deadly spider (pound for pound) in the world (according to a documentary I saw a while ago). However, their fangs are so small & feeble they cannot penetrate the human skin.

Sorry, I digress, it's my irrational fear again!

Anyhow, despite that, I love the way your spiders look. They really freak me out & I'd HATE to walk along the street and then come face to face with them in the dark!

Great job. Keep us posted!

·
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
looks really good, what are you going to cover them with? cant wait for the finished pictures
Excellent question. I want to make sure the spider can break apart for easy storage, so I'm going to make each leg detachable. I'm also planning on building a "skin" out of fabric that will cover the cephalothorax (middle section) and the abdomen - holding the exercise ball inside. This will allow me to make everything look more organic, but will also allow me to take out and deflate the exercise ball for storage.

·
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How much it cost for the body? I would love trying to do one similar and don't want to kill my budget on it.
So far, I've spend $60 on this spider. That's $10 for the exercise ball from Target and about $50 for all the pipe and fittings from Lowes. Each leg costs about $6.25. That includes the length of 1/5 inch pipe, a 45 degree fitting, a 90 degree fitting, and either another 45 or a 60 degree fitting (depending on the leg shape).

I'm hoping I won't spend more than another $20-$40 per spider to add the head, skin, and detail.

·
Crunchitize Me Cap'n
1,654 Posts
Looks great TK - keep us updated, as usual. I'd corpse up the blucky to make him look like he's been riding for years. Like the mentor Ghost Rider. The new Ghost Rider rides a chopper where as the mentor rides a flaming demon horse!

·
the horror up North ...Eh
2,988 Posts
Hey goto salvation army or goodwill second hand stores and find black belts they could be used for the Tack that you may need for the riders , as for a sadlle thats going to be a challenge

1 - 20 of 186 Posts