Halloween Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Blaberus craniifer
4,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Broke in the new jig saw with this project.

Want to hang it over the front door, but trying to think of a way to light it up. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
725 Posts
That is great! I take it we are looking at two layers here? One glued on top of the other?

I guess im not sure what you could do for lighting other than point a green / red spot light at it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Paint it black and use glow paint and UV lighting - create highlights so the shape is emphasised.

That is a stunning job and it's given me some great ideas for my Dread Portal!

I work for a kitchen company and we have masses of MDF sheet that I can get for free - they also have the big computer controlled CNC cutters....

Did you work off an image or by hand - if an image, can I get a copy please?

·
Technological Terror
724 Posts
The Pod

That skull rocks! I was thinking you might be able to do a kind of outline with those led lights that come in the clear flexible tubing. Just I thought, but might not be so good for the smaller details. I'm sure you'll come up with somthing. Great job!

·
Registered
260 Posts
you could also hook up a foger to it running though a fog coller and have it roll down the skull

·
Registered
14,078 Posts
Love your project and your new tool! Turned out just terrific. How large is "giant" anyway?

I'd consider adding light to the back side of it so that the light glows out from the sides of the image. Maybe red behind. Wonder if rope light would work attached to the backside with clips. Christmas is coming up and I'll bet there's red rope out there soon. I'd paint the raised skull white (or GID white) and black for the eyes and other recessed areas. If you hang the skull plaque an inch from a wall you should get a nice bounce off the back lighting.

I don't have any real power tools but could see making this out of foamboard and gorilla glueing it together.

BTW I use to live in Buffalo Grove. Kind of miss fall back there.

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
Wow Pod, that's really cool! Can't wait to see it hanging!

MsM

·
Registered
132 Posts
I want to take the time to thank you for sharing. It only took me a year to get to it but with the program you recommended, Rasterbater (which I use a lot), I followed your lead and finally made my skull. My next project was the first of many EVIL CLOWNS! I thought I'd post a couple of pics to show you how I made out and my progress. Let me know how I did?? I was surprised how easy these were to Make!

rmwitch-albums-some-my-stuff-picture82297-pic-12.jpg
rmwitch-albums-some-my-stuff-picture82298-sany0047a.jpg

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Great job on that clown, rmwitch. If the nose were a simpler design, you could stick a large bowl or round plastic light cover over it (painted red, of course) and really add to the 3D effect.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts