Halloween Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is really cool! and looks so great!! Look forward to seeing the tutorial. Did you use it this year or is it for next year's haunt. If this year, love to see photos of how you set it up in your scene.
This year. The room was 100% blacked out; you walked in 2 or 3 at a time through a double curtain and were instructed to stand on the glow in the dark "X." A brief music track played from the original blockbuster movie. When the track swelled a strobe kicked on and the shark came at you. The strobe shut off just as it seemed to come too close and you were shot with a blast of air at your ankles. Exit towards the red light. That weird looking grey wall thing is just to stop people from coming to close in the darkness, or to seek retribution or to be a jerk you know how it goes. The little dog in front of the wall thing was the shark's appetizer. Total time if everyone follows directions, 15 seconds. Good thing for me most people followed directions, but some people, some people...
IMG_2131.jpg

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh my goodness, I love it!!!! Did you name it? 🥰💖 I’m so excited for the tutorial.
His name is Bruce. As was the name of this years haunt as I didn't want people to expect anything by reading the sign but I didn't put enough thought into some little kids running out and spoiling it for everyone else on line by screaming "It was a shark!"

·
Registered
13,769 Posts
This year. The room was 100% blacked out; you walked in 2 or 3 at a time through a double curtain and were instructed to stand on the glow in the dark "X." A brief music track played from the original blockbuster movie. When the track swelled a strobe kicked on and the shark came at you. The strobe shut off just as it seemed to come too close and you were shot with a blast of air at your ankles. Exit towards the red light. That weird looking grey wall thing is just to stop people from coming to close in the darkness, or to seek retribution or to be a jerk you know how it goes. The little dog in front of the wall thing was the shark's appetizer. Total time if everyone follows directions, 15 seconds. Good thing for me most people followed directions, but some people, some people...
View attachment 726586
OMG that sounds great. Always someone in the crowd isn't there? I'm hoping for a surprise scare near the end of my walk thru and really hope people don't spoil it for others. Not much you can do about it I guess....well maybe you can take their candy away LOL. or in your case feed them to the shark.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I would suggest adding to the theme. Make an aquarium attraction.

Before the main shark scare, add some deep-sea fish, that have the giant teeth, and glowing appendages. (e.g. lantern fish). If there isn't any water in the tanks, include some leaks. And as they get ready to approach where they can see the big shark, have some higher pressure water spraying out a bit, to show the level of dis-repair. It may even be possible to cut two pieces of plexi to show a crack, and then run some small diameter tubing in the crack, to have a bit of water spraying out. Note that water has to be illuminated to be seen, and as long as they spray is visible, and they can see it, they will avoid it, so they don't get uncomfortably wet on a cold night.

For the main tank with the shark, you might be able to get by with vinyl stretched in a frame. Keep the room behind the "glass" filled with fog at all time, and have a few fish seen through it. Cover the room with clear or milkey-clear sheeting, and hit it from above with a water effect light. Ideally, this would shine through to fog and create the ripples projecting through the water.

The shark might be several feet behind the "glass", but behind a black curtain to make sure it is invisible, in case the fog doesn't hide it. Then it lunges forward towards the "glass". Ideally, you would see more of the shark and get to admire the view a bit, before it lunges towards you. I doubt that it would be worth the effort to have it break through the glass, as the audience would expect a lot of water to flow through if that happened, and you probably don't want to do that.

Another variation on the idea, may be to have the giant shark with the full body, apparently dead and preserved in a tank. Then, it suddenly lunges its head to one side. You might try some smaller sharks in a larger tank with fish. Those would be easier to move around.

Note that it is easier to make a large, full body shark by making it an inflatable structure, if you have the skills to do that.

-Joe

·
Registered
36 Posts
Very cool. Fun fact, the mechanical shark they used in Jaws was called Bruce as well, a very fitting name for a shark.
I was about to ask if that was the inspiration for the name. Great white sharks are my favorite animal, watching Jaws for the first time in elementary school made me fall in love.

I would suggest adding to the theme. Make an aquarium attraction.

Before the main shark scare, add some deep-sea fish, that have the giant teeth, and glowing appendages. (e.g. lantern fish). If there isn't any water in the tanks, include some leaks. And as they get ready to approach where they can see the big shark, have some higher pressure water spraying out a bit, to show the level of dis-repair. It may even be possible to cut two pieces of plexi to show a crack, and then run some small diameter tubing in the crack, to have a bit of water spraying out. Note that water has to be illuminated to be seen, and as long as they spray is visible, and they can see it, they will avoid it, so they don't get uncomfortably wet on a cold night.

For the main tank with the shark, you might be able to get by with vinyl stretched in a frame. Keep the room behind the "glass" filled with fog at all time, and have a few fish seen through it. Cover the room with clear or milkey-clear sheeting, and hit it from above with a water effect light. Ideally, this would shine through to fog and create the ripples projecting through the water.

The shark might be several feet behind the "glass", but behind a black curtain to make sure it is invisible, in case the fog doesn't hide it. Then it lunges forward towards the "glass". Ideally, you would see more of the shark and get to admire the view a bit, before it lunges towards you. I doubt that it would be worth the effort to have it break through the glass, as the audience would expect a lot of water to flow through if that happened, and you probably don't want to do that.

Another variation on the idea, may be to have the giant shark with the full body, apparently dead and preserved in a tank. Then, it suddenly lunges its head to one side. You might try some smaller sharks in a larger tank with fish. Those would be easier to move around.

Note that it is easier to make a large, full body shark by making it an inflatable structure, if you have the skills to do that.

-Joe
That theme and set up sound absolutely amazing!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts