Halloween Forum banner

Giant Reaper-In Progress

4K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  immecor 
#1 ·
Hello,

Just wanted to share my giant reaper project. It is turning out pretty good in my opinion. Still working on the scythe and cloak but getting close. That is a 6' ladder for reference on size.

Please feel free to comment with any suggestions or ideas. One thing that I need to figure out is how to bulk up the shoulders and arms a bit so it isn't so flat.

Attachments

See less See more
#15 ·
Hello...Just about done with the robe. I will post more pics soon. The next challenge is making the Scythe blade. I need some help with that. I want to use the pink foam board but I am in Northern California (bay area) and I can't find it anywhere. Home Depot no longer carries the big sheets of it. They only have 2x2 squares. If there are any haunters in my area do you know where may still sell it in the 4x8 sheets? And for everyone else if I need to buy the small pieces what can I use to attach them together on end to make the size I need? I was thinking just a few dowels and some crazy glue maybe. Any help is appreciated.

#16 ·
Hello,
I think your giant reaper is looking real good. We built one that hangs over our driveway with its arms spread out, each hand tied with fishing line to a tree on each side. I would say its about 15' from hand to hand. Anyway all it is a giant skull attached to a piece of PVC with the hands inserted to each end of the PVC. From one hand we had it holding a severed head. So it looked as if the reaper was floating over the driveway as the TOTs walked under it and the blowing wind added to the movement effect.

Its pretty much like the head and shoulder on your reaper. To get ours to "fill out" what we did was open wire clothes hangers and bend in half and tape the ends together, then spread them open a bit (think a squished diamond shape) and tape them perpendicular to the shoulder and in our case along the arms too. Space them along the shoulder (and arm if needed) and then just kind of bend them downwards to shape them as you think looks best. When you drape them with whatever cover you are using the wire hangers will allow the reaper cover to fall out around your frame instead of just straight down. We covered the shoulder/arms first and then came back and made the shroud and let that hang over the shoulder/neck area. Anyway, that's just my 2 cents worth...hope you can find it useful.

#19 ·
That is the great thing about PVC it all breaks down for storage. And yes I am hoping it will draw people in. I unfortunately am the only one on my block that decorates. I even give out full size candy each year to keep them coming back..:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.