Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Undaunted Haunter
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my version of the ever so popular PVC spider. Like everyone else's, it is made using PVC for the legs. I used pool noodle foam to build up the joints and then covered them in duct tape. I added Great Stuff expanding foam for texture. My spider's head is made of styrofoam, covered in faux fur. It is attached to the wood base using velcro for easy disassembly and storage. The abdomen is a child's inflated punching ball, covered with 3 layers of papier mache and then a layer of fiberglass. It is held on the spider using a ring cut off a tomato cage and inserted into the back of the head.

DSCN5549.jpg DSCN5659a.jpg

DSCN5654a.jpg DSCN5661a.jpg

·
Undaunted Haunter
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Exactly what I have done for years, Diabolik. So a couple years ago I realized that I was out of storage room. Now I can't build anything very large unless I can figure out a way to break it down and store it easily. It certainly has kept me from building a lot of stuff I would have liked to have.

Thanks for the nice comments, guys.

·
Funeral Crasher
7,449 Posts
Like I said on the other forum, Whisper---That's the best looking spider I've seen built. The legs really make it look creepy!

You're preachin' to the choir about the break-down feature. I ran out of storage space a long time ago and won't build anything big before figuring out how to make it easy to dis-assemble.

Really nice work! Congrats!

·
Undaunted Haunter
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I really appreciate all the nice compliments from everyone.

Dave, I think a lot of us have that same problem. I try really hard to make all my props storage friendly. I see a lot of great props on here, but I wish more people would consider storage before they build. Not just for us, but for exactly what Diabolik said. We build something really cool and then have no way to store it. I have done this before and ended up having to disassemble the entire prop and not use it any more. Or leave it out in the rain and sun all year. I just hate to see all that hard work go to waste.

·
Far Away Eyes
3,354 Posts
I really appreciate all the nice compliments from everyone.

Dave, I think a lot of us have that same problem. I try really hard to make all my props storage friendly. I see a lot of great props on here, but I wish more people would consider storage before they build. Not just for us, but for exactly what Diabolik said. We build something really cool and then have no way to store it. I have done this before and ended up having to disassemble the entire prop and not use it any more. Or leave it out in the rain and sun all year. I just hate to see all that hard work go to waste.
Sounds like sage advice. I kinda just made this mistake, but I think I can incorporate the chair part of my prop into our everyday living?!?!?!? lol.

·
Registered
512 Posts
JustWhisper - Great job and thanks for the pics. I try to make all my props break down to store, but sometimes it is still too much....My Witch hut never goes back the same as it first did and my pirate ship is the same.

Need to add a couple giant spiders and it looks like your design will do the trick.

Thanks!

PB

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Great job, and an EXCELLENT idea to design with break-down in mind. Like many in here have already stated, storage starts becoming a problem. My son and I keep coming up with all sorts of ideas for things we'd love to build, but we keep putting them off because we'd have no place to put them. Quite literally one third of our garage is dedicated to Halloween storage! But that's my wife's limit. LOL :p

·
Undaunted Haunter
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you all. Another reason I like my props to be able to be broken down is for safety. If I had to store something like this spider in one piece it would probably get all banged up, and chipped, maybe even broken.

·
livin Halloween every day
1,989 Posts
Very, very nice job on the spider. That is one of the best I have seen yet. A+ for you.

·
Scariest guy on the block
1,960 Posts
Awesome spider! Great job on making it knock down for storage. I know all about storage issues. I used to have a 9' tall guillotine until I had to leave it behind during a move :(

1 - 20 of 27 Posts