Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
lies dead but dreaming
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Supplies needed

2 trees fairly close together (or 2 x 4's or whatever)

20 # fishing line (preferably fluorescent)

Hot Glue (I use Minions UV reactive glue so I an hit it with a black light)

a small hand full of nails

Hammer

glue gun

one tent stake

beer (optional)

This really is a simple project that was created by my misunderstanding of webbing using hot glue when my friend Spats described it to me. He said something to the effect of "hey the best looking spider webs are made from nothing more than hot glue"
some how between his place and mine I formulated this plan to build a giant orb weaver web.

the process is simple

first you plant 2 nails in one tree one up high and one down around six inches from the ground.

now turn around and do this to your other tree.

Don't drive any more nails yet

Take out your fishing line and tie one end off to one of the low nails (doesn't matter which one) Hot glue the knot. go diagonally from it to the opposite high nail. wrap it and Hot Glue it in place let it cool so you keep tension.

go straight across to the other high nail wrap it and Hot Glue it in place let it cool so you keep tension.

and then go diagonally towards the remaining low nail as you pass the first diagonal run wrap it and Hot Glue it in place let it cool so you keep tension. then continue to the remaining nail wrap it and Hot Glue it in place let it cool so you keep tension. (see a running theme forming here?)

now go from that nail while the glue is cooling and drive a new nail half way up to the top nail bring up your fishing line and secure it as before. once the glue on this nail has cooled go to your crossing point and wrap around it keeping tension.

then have your second set of hands drive a nail straght across as measured by stretching out the line. now go half way betwen that nail and the top and have your helper drive another nail. wrap/glue/cool

go from there to the center wrap/glue/cool

continue in a straight line to between the bottom and middle nails on the oposite side wrap/glue/cool drive a nail half way between the middle and top on the side you are working on run your line straight up to it wrap/glue/cool to the center and then to another nail half way between middl and bottom wrap/glue/cool

(Monotonous no?)

from this nail go down to the bottome nail wrap/glue/cool

now push/ drive your stake into the ground half way betwen the trees and run your line to the stake wrap/glue/cool to the oposite bottom nail wrap/glue/cool and back to the stake wrap/glue/cool

straight up from the stake to the top horizontal line you laid when we first started (bet you thought I for got about it dint you?) now wrap your line arounf the top wire and glue it in place (keep tension on your spool or it will slip)

once the glue sets go half way between the glue spot and the tree and wrap the lin gluing it in place cool then go to the center then to the oposite botom line.

bet you know where the next one goes! over to the stake and then to half way in betwen it and the nail in the tree. wrap/glue/cool

go to the center then _tie off at the top opposite wrap/glue/cool and once it is cool cut your line.

this is where the beer come in.

After tie off close to the center you are oing to start weaving the line round and round in a spiral I wrap mine at every other intersection and glue it untill I get about 4 or 5 inches fromthe center and then I wrap and glue every intersection and at each point you glue you must hold tension while you wrap/glue/cool

keep going roungd and round and round and round till you fill your whole frame work. then go back with your hot glue and put drips along all the line in between the intersections (just don't re glue the intersections our they will turn loose and loose tension. after a couple beers and alot of glue you will eventually end up with this:

this one is about 7 feet tall and 5 feet wide. It's alot of work but loks great whene it's done.

I prefer to do this on a windy day as I get more stringy effects fromthe hot glue however the wife does insist that I am the one down wind of the glue gun.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Question

I looked at your photo album and saw the big spider. Looks like PVC, spray foam and what? What did you make the body out of? TIA
Love the web too. It's very realistic.

·
Hauntless
8,371 Posts
LOL! "This is where the beer comes in" and "use your second pair of hands" I love the way you do a tutorial. Heh heh.

Great idea combining the fishing wire and hot glue to make this web! Thanks.

·
lies dead but dreaming
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The giant spider on my flicker site was my only casualty last year My Daughter scared the fuzz off of a boy about 14 years old or so and he took of out of the cemetery like a shot. Unfortunately poor sheila the spider was in the path and got stepped on.

her legs were PVC wired together at the joints with Monster mud and fabric over chicken wire for the body.

this year we have a pose-able spider that will go at the top corner of the web.

We take consolation in knowing as he ran from the grave yard he was shouting back at his friends "I think I soiled myself"

·
AKA - S.M. Barrett
1,084 Posts
I recall that comment about the best webs being hot glue. It was one of those in-passing phrases wherein I didn't mention the airblown propellors. I was thinking Hollywood quality cobwebing, not Mirkwood style orb webs. Way too cool.
I've tried a web like this with cotton string. Made a cartoonish, big, saggy, knotted looking thing.
Nothing on par with this.

THIS web is fantastic, far better than I ever imagined. Leave it to the Darius to concoct this nightmare. Great tutorial, man.

·
Registered
212 Posts
We take consolation in knowing as he ran from the grave yard he was shouting back at his friends "I think I soiled myself"
fantastic!!!!!!!! Job well done!

We would get awards at one haunted house i worked at if someone pooped/peed their pants, passed out, or puked. I should have kept the one i got, this teenage girl yelled "i just pi**ed my pants" and you could see it plain as day in the blacklight.

·
lies dead but dreaming
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Last year I decided to try the fluorescent green fishing line to see if it would make the web more visible. Big big results.

Halloween 2012 by Don and Monica Riney, on Flickr

This is a non flash shot with just my colored lights in the haunt.

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
2,016 Posts
Great idea! Super glue might work better on the knots and be less messy and quicker, but you have to be more careful with it not to get it on your fingers. I use it on my snelled hooks sometimes to keep them secure. As a fisherman who fishes at night a lot I highly recommend Berlkley Big Game line in the Solar Green color for maximum glow from a black light if you want to go with a green line. Several other companies make UV reactive lines that may work well, some in blue. I'd also recommend 20lb line or greater to increase visibility and make it easier to handle and tie knots with.

·
lies dead but dreaming
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sure glue (or CA glue as us wood turners call it when we buy 12 oz bottles) would definitely secure the knot much faster the drip and drift of the hot glue helps create the partial cob web effect on the web itself.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts