Halloween Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
It's also a hoax

It's also a hoax.

The largest gator on record is less than 20 feet. A 23 foot gator would make national news.

Besides, the pictures show a 12-14 foot gator with a buck in its mouth from southeast Georgia not north Alabama as claimed. Here's the real story of the gator with a deer:

A U.S. Fish and Wildlife (USFW - A federal agency) worker by the name of Terri Jenkins was in a USFW helicopter preparing to ignite a controlled burn in the Harris Neck National Wildlife Refuge in southern Georgia. She spotted the gator with lunch in its mouth and took the pictures. It was a 12-14 foot gator, big but not unusual. You can find the real story of the pictures here:

Southeastern Outdoors - Alligator Eats Deer

If you read On The Track, I'm the guy hunting for gators in North Alabama. I'd love for that to be a true story!

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,329 Posts
I saw a stuffed Salt Water Crocodile in a park in Cairns, Northern Queensland, Australia many, many years ago that was reputed as being 32' in length. Aside from it's size, it was not much to look at, all dusty, kept in a long narrow shed for viewing. HUMUNGOUS teeth and claws.

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
Ok..Not a giant...and not in Alabama....Maybe not even a 'gator.

A 5 ft long crocodile like animal has been reported lurking in a pond in France.
Another out of place animal, or a case of mistaken identity?

'Loch Ness monster of the Vosges' threatens French village - Telegraph
I believe this may be a large pike. they can grow to 5ft plus and can look very crocodillian like as they lay in shallow weed beds, waiting to ambush prey.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Speaking of alligators, (very common here in Florida), what is really becoming more common are the Burmese pythons battling it out with the native alligator. I am sure you heard about the snake that burst when it tried to eat an alligator? Well, we are seeing an increase of these episodes, along with more reports of the pythons attacking pets and people. The State of Florida is trying to cull the population down through regulated hunting, as well as working to enforce stricter laws for owning these snakes. I went to our local zoo here, to hear a handler talk about the pythons and their effect on our community. He said, though it might not be able to eat you, a large python can kill a person. That really stuck with me….aaugh, snakes really creep me out!

Done blown up...

Alligator VS Python

This one was killed in Okeechobee County 17 FT 207 LBS!

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
It's a jungle out there...
In their native Asia, young crocodillians form part of the normal diet for the Burmese python. likewise, the snakes often fall prey to crocodillians, especially when digesting a large meal which is what probably happened to the one that "burst" in the picture above.
The Burmese or indian Python (Python Molurus Bivittatus) can grow in excess of 20 ft.
and although not as big as South America's Green Anaconda, The African rock Python (Python sebae) or the Reticulate Python of South East Asia, the sheer power of these animals make them a potential danger to humans. In general, they will avoid confrontation wherever possible, but will attack if cornered or threatened. A snake is capable of striking 2/3rds of its body length outwards and 1/3rd of its body length upwards, so a 20 footer would be more than capable of hitting you square in the face with a mouthful of recurved razor sharp teeth with the speed of a pro boxer from 15 feet away...Then there are the coils, thrown around the victim and compressing like a vice, stopping the victim from breathing and increasing the blood pressure until asphyxiation or coronary arrest ensues.

Snakes will not normally swallow humans (they have trouble with the shoulders) although there are documented cases where Reticulate Pythons appear to have at least attempted to swallow people and one case (open to debate as to it's authenticity), where it may have actually succeeded. (I have some photo's but they're probably not appropriate for posting on a PG13 forum).

If you ever get the chance to handle even a small constrictor, do so just to marvel at the incredible power and strength of these creatures. just a small one coiled around the wrist can cause the fingers to tingle and the veins in the hand to bulge. They really are beautiful animals.

·
Registered
920 Posts
It's a jungle out there...
In their native Asia, young crocodillians form part of the normal diet for the Burmese python. likewise, the snakes often fall prey to crocodillians, especially when digesting a large meal which is what probably happened to the one that "burst" in the picture above....Snakes will not normally swallow humans (they have trouble with the shoulders) although there are documented cases where Reticulate Pythons appear to have at least attempted to swallow people and one case (open to debate as to it's authenticity), where it may have actually succeeded. (I have some photo's but they're probably not appropriate for posting on a PG13 forum)....If you ever get the chance to handle even a small constrictor, do so just to marvel at the incredible power and strength of these creatures. just a small one coiled around the wrist can cause the fingers to tingle and the veins in the hand to bulge. They really are beautiful animals.
Wow Baron, thanks very much. Very informative! I enjoyed reading your post. You seem to know quite a bit aobut these snakes. Do you happen to know what a person could do if one bites you and tries to constrict around around you? Thanks so much!

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
Wow Baron, thanks very much. Very informative! I enjoyed reading your post. You seem to know quite a bit aobut these snakes. Do you happen to know what a person could do if one bites you and tries to constrict around around you? Thanks so much!
The first thing to remember is that by and large, these "Giant" constrictors are pretty much non-confrontational and will normally attack only if molested and they have no option but to defend themselves. They will normally give a warning in the form of a loud hiss and will usually coil the head and neck back into an "S" shape prior to actually striking. leave them alone and they will leave you alone.
The bite itself, although extremely painful, is not in itself dangerous. the rows of needle sharp teeth point backwards so can be difficult to dislodge. If it's a big snake, you will need to push the bitten limb towards the snake while somebody prises the jaws open. trying to pull it free will cause very extensive lacerations.

When I was working with these animals, we considered any constrictor over about 6 ft long as potentially dangerous and always worked in pairs if we had to move one, just for safety. It doesn't matter how experienced the handler or how "docile" the snake, accidents can & do happen.

If you are unfortunate enough to get "nailed" by a big constrictor, the best advice I could give is to try to remain calm enough to keep a clear head. try to keep one arm between the snakes body and your neck. The moment he gets a coil around your neck that's gonna be all she wrote, as you will lose conciousness extremely quickly. Try to remain standing and apply a steady, firm pressure aginst the constriction and attempt to move the snake downwards away from your neck and chest area.

No need to worry though, unprovoked attacks on humans by big constrictors in the wild are extremely rare.

·
Registered
920 Posts
The first thing to remember is that by and large, these "Giant" constrictors are pretty much non-confrontational and will normally attack only if molested and they have no option but to defend themselves. They will normally give a warning.....When I was working with these animals, we considered any constrictor over about 6 ft long as potentially dangerous and always worked in pairs if we had to move one, just for safety. It doesn't matter how experienced the handler or how "docile" the snake, accidents can & do happen...The moment he gets a coil around your neck that's gonna be all she wrote, as you will lose conciousness extremely quickly. Try to remain standing and apply a steady, firm pressure aginst the constriction and attempt to move the snake downwards away from your neck and chest area....unprovoked attacks on humans by big constrictors in the wild are extremely rare.

Very informative, Baron. Thankyou, I appreciate it. You must have an interesting job! Take care, Halloweenie1;)

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
Very informative, Baron. Thankyou, I appreciate it. You must have an interesting job! Take care, Halloweenie1;)
No problem...I did have an interesting job. I loved it but unforunately it didn't pay the £££'s that pay the bills...:(

Pod..Crusher is a lovely animal. Albino Burmese, right? He looks very healthy and well cared for.:D

·
Blaberus craniifer
4,920 Posts
Pod..Crusher is a lovely animal. Albino Burmese, right? He looks very healthy and well cared for.:D
You know your snakes. Thanks, we've had him for 18 yrs now, just one of the family. Had to laugh the other day as the kids came running into the house yelling "We just saw a squirrel get hit by a car, can we feed it to Crusher?" Waste not, want not, he always does enjoy a fresh road kill. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts