Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on an entry display for my local haunt and was thinking of making a giant FCG. I have done quite a bit of searching and it doesn't seem like anyone has ever made a giant one before. I was wondering what is the biggest FCG any of you have ever seen, I have made a normal size one before and love it. I want to make the one at the haunt a minimum of 10 feet across, maybe even bigger.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I saw the Kentucky Special FX one, mines going to be bigger. So I went over to the haunt tonight to check everything out. What I basically have is a giant display case on top of the entry doors. It's about 20 feet wide and 30 feet high and visible from the parking lot. The ceiling in the space already has mounting points for the FCG so that saves a ton of work in building the rig.

·
black light queen
2,493 Posts
has anyone ever done a fcg that pushes up from underneath instead of using rope to pull up?

i'm thinking this is the way to go for a really huge fcg ... but i've never done this, so i'm really talking out of my a**, lol

i'm thinking of a cam mechanism ... a big round turntable with ramps/cams that will push up on a guided rod that moves the head & arms of the ghost up and down ... obviously this will have to have a big motor and a gearbox ... but you'll be able to make it as big as you want

amk

·
Registered
500 Posts
has anyone ever done a fcg that pushes up from underneath instead of using rope to pull up?

i'm thinking this is the way to go for a really huge fcg ... but i've never done this, so i'm really talking out of my a**, lol

i'm thinking of a cam mechanism ... a big round turntable with ramps/cams that will push up on a guided rod that moves the head & arms of the ghost up and down ... obviously this will have to have a big motor and a gearbox ... but you'll be able to make it as big as you want

amk
That's an interesting idea, but I'm guessing that any rods strong enough to support the puppet would be much more visible than cord of equivalent tensile strength. It could be a good solution when overhead supports aren't an option, though.

or instead of my krazy idea above ... how about individual motors for the head and each arm? with ropes pulling up, like a traditional fcg

amk
This is something I've been wanting to try for a normal-sized FCG, actually: three stepper motors, individually run by a microcontroller. That way you could have programmable routines, random movements, or even have it react to passers-by. Scaling that up to a giant FCG could be pretty awesome, but I think it would be a lot of work!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Three separate motors is exactly what i was thinking! They can be set to different speeds and different range of motion. I think that will make the movement appear much more random. I was also thinking a large fan under the whole rig could give it some nice whispy ghostlike movements.

·
the horror up North ...Eh
2,988 Posts
you also would have to rent or get a larger blacklight to make it illuminate properly something for stage lighting and put it in a darker area . Also have to make it as light as possible i would think, having said that im assuming you have it outside , you would have allot of wind issues with something ten feet , pray now to the weather gods sacrifice a chicken .. because as we all know mother nature wil ruin all your ideas ..

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Garage door opener is a very interesting idea, could be remotely controlled too. I will have to think about that one.

Wind and weather won't be a problem, It is outside but it's encased in glass that is attached to the front of the building. It's an old Macy's building so it has a huge glass display case that sit over the entrance. I have power, lighting fixtures, it's visible from the entire parking lot and even the main street and it's protected from the elements. My main concern is lights in the parking lot may interfere with the blacklights. Were going to set up a small version this week and see how it works. If the parking lot lights prove to be to bright and ruin the blacklight effect, then we are going to change it up and do a reaper instead of a ghost.

·
Registered
853 Posts
You've got my attention on this thread. I have always wanted to do a giant evil clown string puppet instead of a FCG. The 2 motor method sounds promising, though I might have to go with 3 or 4, due to the weight concerns. But that would give me extreme random movements. Keep posting as your prop progresses. This is good information - thanks!
One tip I have to give is Spyder wire fishing line. It comes in several different strengths. It holds the weight as advertised.
HM

·
Registered
500 Posts
One tip I have to give is Spyder wire fishing line. It comes in several different strengths. It holds the weight as advertised.
I was just looking at some of that for a different project - do you have any advice as to which type/color would be least visible for an FCGish application? They seem to have a fair number of different types of fishing line, besides the different strengths. I know some fishing line glows under black light, as well, which I'd like to avoid.

·
black light queen
2,493 Posts
This sounds awesome either way. I used a Wildfire FX for my crank ghost, which was way more than it ever needed. It is a 400 watt long-throw UV flood, very very powerful. Would be great for something really big.
i always wanted one of these ... i was thinking i could put up high in a tree and cover one side of my front yard ... one of my graveyards

amk

·
Registered
853 Posts
CDW - unfortunately, I don't. The type I bought was heavier than I needed, and it was visible by reflected light. A little black paint for plastics fixed that problem. My suggestion is to go on-line to their website for more information. Sorry i wasn't much help
HM

·
Registered
500 Posts
CDW - unfortunately, I don't. The type I bought was heavier than I needed, and it was visible by reflected light. A little black paint for plastics fixed that problem. My suggestion is to go on-line to their website for more information. Sorry i wasn't much help
HM
No problem, thanks for the info about the paint, that's helpful. I'm going to check out the terrifyingly large Bass Pro Shops near me to see if they have any samples on display, and I'll report back if I find anything interesting.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
About this Discussion
30 Replies
11 Participants
Spooky D
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing