Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Motion detector activates the arms lifting motor and growling sounds.
His head follows you as you move past him.... he is watching you...

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Pictures of the inner workings, PVC frame and body form made from cut up 45 gal. barrel

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here are some older pictures taken during basic frame construction.....
The first one is before I added the second motor for raising his arms.... design as I go....!
The second picture is with both motors installed and the head turning motor lowered to get neck more vertical.
I also cut the two "T" fittings holding the neck a bit so they are closer together also getting neck more vertical.
This was important as the head was looking upwards as it turned to the sides when neck was leaned forward and it didn't look right.
The neck consists of 3/4" pvc inside foam wig head directly attached to motor shaft nut with an old 14mm socket inside the pvc.
The 3/4"pvc turns inside a thin wall piece of 1" pvc which I have going through the "T" fitting after removing the step inside it.
Limit switches (not shown yet) limit how far the head can turn.

The last two pictures show how the cable is hooked to the second wiper motor and it rotates the pipe connecting both arms together.
In order to get the leverage I needed and the speed of travel I wanted.... I added an extra piece of pvc to the round section in middle.
This setup with wiper motor driven with 5 Volt supply hooked to low speed wire on motor gives me the slow creepy look I want.
It may not have the "Ka-Pow Factor" that pneumatic props have but it is the look I wanted.... Like a slow moving Ghoul would look.
Obviously the Vice grips holding cable to motor are just temporary..... cable was crimped after getting the length sorted.
The two 1" T- fittings at the shoulders have been drilled out with a hole saw so that a 1" pvc will spin inside them.
That piece is held centred with a 1" coupler I cut in half and put 1/2 inside each shoulder T fitting over the 1" pvc.
The upper arm pieces are the 3/4 sweeping 90 degree fittings you buy in the electrical pvc section at store.
They gave me the shape I needed for getting arms out from body to have clearance for movement.
And the shape of the drooping shoulders fits the jacket and overall look of a Ghoul best.
These 3/4" pieces are pressed inside the 1" pvc cross pipe that connects both arms..... snug fit but simple...

1.5" pvc for the legs as it fits over top of T-bar fence posts driven into ground so he can withstand any wind.
The feet are half a T-fitting I hacksawed in two after gluing a 7" piece of pvc inside to make the foot.
This is only to stop the boot from moving out of position.... not for supporting him.
If you glue or foam fill your boots on permanently then it is impossible to remove them to get pants on him.
This way you can change boots and clothes as you desire.....

The wiper motors are a GM Tahoe model which was really cheap on Amazon with Free shipping..... price has gone up a bit now?
I like them because the mount fits perfectly on a 3/4" piece of pvc making a clean install without fence brackets etc.
And as an added bonus they run smooth and very quiet! Unlike some wiper motors with gear noise.....?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The Arduino and relay boards came in and I have converted the wiring over....

Spent a bit of time on programming.... but this is so much better! The above picture was just testing it and it will all fit in a 3" snap lock lid food storage container.

This gives me so much more possibilities for movement. I have head moving left and right with either high or low speed on wiper motor. Slow gives a casual head turning look but in high speed he whips from full left to full right in one second which is great.
I see why people use these Arduino's for prop control! I know I am late to the party...?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts