Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really want to make a rocking chair that will rock in place on the porch of my swamp house. However, I am not entirely sure what the best route to take for this is. I've considered going pneumatic, but if theres any other ways to do it I would really appreciate the help

·
Registered
152 Posts
Wiper motor, vent motor, or deer motor would easily do it. Simple way would be just attach the motor to the chair and the an egg shaped cog/wheel to the motor. Done.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Agree with the others. Something that will have a constant repetitive motion is the perfect candidate for a wiper motor.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wiper motor, vent motor, or deer motor would easily do it. Simple way would be just attach the motor to the chair and the an egg shaped cog/wheel to the motor. Done.
I have reindeer motors but iI'm not entirely sure they could move the weight of the chair.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I have reindeer motors but iI'm not entirely sure they could move the weight of the chair.
The chair is a lever. The motor doesn't move the weight of the chair. A deer motor should work perfectly vs all that torque of a wiper motor for simple motion.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats excellent! So I would need to do what Function had mentioned and just cause the motor to create an oblong motion

·
Registered
668 Posts
Thats excellent! So I would need to do what Function had mentioned and just cause the motor to create an oblong motion
Pretty much. Can even just attach a round disk with the hole in the disk that attaches to the motor, off center, and it will rotate oblong. The further from the center, the more oblong the motion.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I have done this before, and found that if you did not match the speed of the motor to the period of the rocker, the motor would end up fighting against the momentum of the rocker. A wiper motor has the torque to overcome this, a deer motor will not.

·
Registered
57 Posts
could you mount the wiper motor solid to a base and use a type of control arm to completely control the motion of the chair as it rotates

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,316 Posts
I mounted a wiper motor to a flat piece of masonite and then used a wire clothes hanger length to loop over the motor's crank arm and connected it to a screw I put into the very back end piece of one of the curved rockers on the chair. Then I just positioned it to hide the motor/connection point behind a bookshelf. Worked REALLY well.

The clothes hanger wire had some bouce in it, so the chair would hesitate a bit at the to and fro points (instead of a smooth motion) and looked like someone was actually in the chair and doing a really slow rock. Wasn't intended, but looked great as far as I was concerned.

If you are trying a deer motor, I'd try using wire or even a cord tied to the top of the chair first - might work, but at least its not too much effort/investment if you need to try something else.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts