Halloween Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really want to make a rocking chair that will rock in place on the porch of my swamp house. However, I am not entirely sure what the best route to take for this is. I've considered going pneumatic, but if theres any other ways to do it I would really appreciate the help

·
Registered
668 Posts
Thats excellent! So I would need to do what Function had mentioned and just cause the motor to create an oblong motion
Pretty much. Can even just attach a round disk with the hole in the disk that attaches to the motor, off center, and it will rotate oblong. The further from the center, the more oblong the motion.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,840 Posts
I mounted a wiper motor to a flat piece of masonite and then used a wire clothes hanger length to loop over the motor's crank arm and connected it to a screw I put into the very back end piece of one of the curved rockers on the chair. Then I just positioned it to hide the motor/connection point behind a bookshelf. Worked REALLY well.

The clothes hanger wire had some bouce in it, so the chair would hesitate a bit at the to and fro points (instead of a smooth motion) and looked like someone was actually in the chair and doing a really slow rock. Wasn't intended, but looked great as far as I was concerned.

If you are trying a deer motor, I'd try using wire or even a cord tied to the top of the chair first - might work, but at least its not too much effort/investment if you need to try something else.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.