Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
That's pretty neat, but does it just go in a circle? Seems like if they took the book idea and matched it with the mechanism from one of the animated Ouija boards many people have made, it would be more realistic.

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
Looks like it just goes in a circle, a cheap magnet on a crankshaft arm gimmick. I'm not impressed; I've been building stuff like that for years. I like my rolling eyeballs that use the same mechanism better.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I agree the mechanism is disappointing, but the look of the prop is very nice, especially for a Spirit prop.

They didn't put a plastic skull with glowing eyes in the middle of the page!

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
the sound ist bad. usually its very bad.
I think it supposed to look like he is just scribbling in a circle, after writing his message. But its too perfect of a circle

I know it would not be possible to make a cheap version that writes.
but could be better if the quill moved , a little faster,left to right repeatedly under lining his message

·
Margarita Goddess
5,440 Posts
Looks like it just goes in a circle, a cheap magnet on a crankshaft arm gimmick. I'm not impressed; I've been building stuff like that for years. I like my rolling eyeballs that use the same mechanism better.
Do you have a video of your rolling eyeballs?!! Sounds great!!

·
Margarita Goddess
5,440 Posts
I was excited to see it until I saw it only went in a circle. :(

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
Do you have a video of your rolling eyeballs?!! Sounds great!!
No, but I'll tell the secret. Ball bearings. It took awhile to find ones that the magnets had the right amount of grip on. Just pop open a few dollar store eyeballs, put a bearing in each one, and reassemble the eyeballs. The ball bearings will allow the eyeballs to roll while the magnet drags the ball bearing along. Obviously, the eyes move in a circle, though I bet I could make it run a course now that I discovered a dog athletic event called Lure Coursing (which would in theory apply as a way of making this ghost writing book look like it is actually writing)..

Right now, the bright idea hit me to do a Halloween clock with rolling eyeballs instead of minute, hour and second hands. :D

·
Margarita Goddess
5,440 Posts
No, but I'll tell the secret. Ball bearings. It took awhile to find ones that the magnets had the right amount of grip on. Just pop open a few dollar store eyeballs, put a bearing in each one, and reassemble the eyeballs. The ball bearings will allow the eyeballs to roll while the magnet drags the ball bearing along. Obviously, the eyes move in a circle, though I bet I could make it run a course now that I discovered a dog athletic event called Lure Coursing (which would in theory apply as a way of making this ghost writing book look like it is actually writing)..

Right now, the bright idea hit me to do a Halloween clock with rolling eyeballs instead of minute, hour and second hands. :D
Be sure to post your finished piece in the July craft thread. July is clock make overs!! :D

http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-crafts/135240-july-monthly-project-halloween-clock.html

1 - 20 of 28 Posts