Halloween Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Soul (Ghost) Prop

Backstory - For my 2017 display I'm making a Reaper who is Summoning Souls (ghosts) from a graveyard. I have been experimenting with different mache, paint and lighting techniques to explore the best way to display the souls. I want them to appear solid, whitish-gray and lifeless during the day but have an ethereal, glowing appearance at night. I've completed one of the mock-ups using a Green UV paint. What I've discovered is that all lighting, except a UV blacklight will over illuminate the UV paint and make it un-noticeable. So my only lighting options are UV black light or no lighting. Attached are photos of the mock-up during the day and various stages of completion at night. I'm working on a second one that will be painted with a blue UV paint and I will post updated photos when it's completed.

Attachments

·
Registered
328 Posts
If you're looking for something that will simply glow on it's own, I haven't found anything that works great. They all seem to lose their initial vibrant glow too quickly. If you're going to splash them with UV, why not use a clear top coat? They work very well! Wildfirefx invisible clear color

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Not seen this stuff before but thats no surprise this side of the pond but i will be very keen to see your results , love your props from the picture and cannot wait to see how you progress keep us updated .

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've order the ProFX in aqua, blue and green - mainly because it dries clear and isn't noticeable during the day. I'll post new photos once I've finished the prop mock-ups and added the glowing cloth.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"If you're looking for something that will simply glow on it's own, I haven't found anything that works great. They all seem to lose their initial vibrant glow too quickly. If you're going to splash them with UV, why not use a clear top coat? They work very well! Wildfirefx invisible clear color"

I thought about that as well, however i'm not sure how the clear coat will react with the UV paint. Thanks for the comments

·
Registered
328 Posts
The clear coat is UV reactive and in colors. It's how a double image is achieved. Under day light the only thing that can be seen is maybe a different sheen on the prop surface. Wildfire also offers a product to help blend that sheen and make it less noticeable.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
sounds great and i cannot wait to see the results , i bet we cannot get it over here but will still be very keen to see how it comes out , please keep us updated .

·
black light queen
2,630 Posts
compact fluorescent ultraviolet/black lights will keep the "glow" happening for ever ... well, until you turn the power off, lol :)

ultraviolet leds would also work, but will cast a "purple" color as well

amk

·
Super Moderator
5,812 Posts
"If you're looking for something that will simply glow on it's own, I haven't found anything that works great. They all seem to lose their initial vibrant glow too quickly. If you're going to splash them with UV, why not use a clear top coat? They work very well! Wildfirefx invisible clear color"

I thought about that as well, however i'm not sure how the clear coat will react with the UV paint. Thanks for the comments
I've clear coated wildfire paints before and never had problems

·
Registered
326 Posts
The non paint option is to use a blue, green or red fire and ice LED lights. Gemmy makes them. Spirit and Home Depot sell them. The flickering light gives some life to the figure and the LED colors look pretty good. I used the blue for a static Ghost and it creates a cool look.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Updated Soul Photos

I've somewhat completed the blue soul (it doesn't have any cloth on it) and have taken photos using various lighting conditions. Photo 01 shows the green + blue souls side-by-side using UV black lighting (you can see the glow from the UV paint). Photos 02 and 03 show close-ups under the UV black light. Photo 04 I used a green LED light (notice how the UV paint doesn't show). Photo 05 I used a blue LED light (again the UV paint doesn't show). I'm still on the "tombstone" as to weather I like the green or blue UV paint the best. Although the green provides more contrast, glows the brightest and for the longest. Let me know what version you like best.

Attachments

·
Registered
530 Posts
I really like this prop effect (the drawing of the souls from the grave). Of the two, I like the green better, as it has more contrast. Maybe if you added another color on there for contrast, like red?

Also, with the colors producing different effects, maybe you could find a way to shift the colors from one to another (UV to blue to green).

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
i like the green , i guess its more inline with decay and rotting material at least that what i thought of with the green light , but in fairness the blue is cool as well , and i love the work on the souls , looking forward to your updates looking damn fine so far .

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've somewhat completed the blue soul (it doesn't have any cloth on it) and have taken photos using various lighting conditions. Photo 01 shows the green + blue souls side-by-side using UV black lighting (you can see the glow from the UV paint). Photos 02 and 03 show close-ups under the UV black light. Photo 04 I used a green LED light (notice how the UV paint doesn't show). Photo 05 I used a blue LED light (again the UV paint doesn't show). I'm still on the "tombstone" as to weather I like the green or blue UV paint the best. Although the green provides more contrast, glows the brightest and for the longest. Let me know what version you like best.
I think the green soul with the UV black light stands out much more due to the contrast. Awesome concept and delivery, let us know which ones you end up using!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts