Halloween Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks so much. I used real water last year and everything kept fogging up! By the way, how did you get the glue from the labels off the jar? I am having trouble with that.

Being a homebrewer (brew my own beer) the best method to remove labels seems to be an overnight soak in warm OxyClean. Virtually every beer label just slides off of has already fallen off.

Good Luck

·
Wild Fandango
1,494 Posts
If you're in a rush, first isopropyl alcohol (91% is better), then goo gone, if it's a glass jar, then acetone. No acetone on plastics! And always test Goo Gone on a small spot first. I haven't had alcohol fog anything but if you use ethyl instead of isopropyl it may be denatured with something that will eat plastic so don't use ethyl.

·
Registered
13,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks guys for all the nice comments! I haven't been in the Tutorial area for quite some time and was shocked tonight to see a lot more comments than those I had seen before. I'm so glad that you guys liked this project and Paint it Black got to make her jars using the lens. Your photo was great BTW.

I also appreciated the various tips on removing labels. My pretzel container labels were easy to remove but I've encounter plenty of other labels that weren't.

BTW last time I was in Big Lots we bought 4 of the large pretzel jars, and we have finally finished the last of the pretzels from them. Kind of pretzeled out but I bet if you need to clear out a jar or two, football/Super Bowl season would be a great time to unload them! Oh and if I didn't mention this before in the thread, I saw the same pretzel containers sold in CostPlus/World Market when I was in there for halloween shopping.

·
Registered
13,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Just an update to locating cheap page magnifiers.

Right now DOLLAR TREE has their JOT Page Magnifiers in their catalog in the office supply section and you can find them in DT stores as well. I found one a number of weeks ago and my local store just restocked with a few dozen more. The DT ones are not as large or as thin as the Mighty Brite ones, still my preferred brand for both those reasons, but the DT ones will work well in many instances and a few dollars cheaper so if you are planning for a lot of water effect jars it helps out.

Here's a link to them on the DT website (under Office Supplies/Desktop Accessories). You can order them presently if you set up an account with them.

http://www.dollartree.com/office-school/desktop-accessories/Jot-Magnifying-Sheets/610c613c613p350924/index.pro

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
So.. a Fabric Shop... selling a magnifying lense? Were these being used to provide magnified windows in someone's pants?
(Sounds like a multi-million dollar product ,, just waiting to be put into production! )

·
Registered
13,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
So.. a Fabric Shop... selling a magnifying lense? Were these being used to provide magnified windows in someone's pants?
(Sounds like a multi-million dollar product ,, just waiting to be put into production! )
My local Beverly's is a craft/fabric shop like JoAnn's. And actually YES you will find all sorts of magnifiers in fabric and craft/hobby shops. If you frequent any you probably just never noticed them before in the store. My local bookstore carries some of the Mighty Brite products, just not the large page magnifier unfortunately. Extremely useful for checking close up work and definitely an almost must have as one's vision gets worse and you lose your close up vision and need reading glasses!

·
Registered
917 Posts
If you're in a rush, first isopropyl alcohol (91% is better), then goo gone, if it's a glass jar, then acetone. No acetone on plastics! And always test Goo Gone on a small spot first. I haven't had alcohol fog anything but if you use ethyl instead of isopropyl it may be denatured with something that will eat plastic so don't use ethyl.

Something I've had good luck with is using a paste of baking soda and cooking oil on glass, I've not tried it on plastic jars yet but I will probably be experimenting with it soon. I've got a few that I saved just for that reason. :D

·
Registered
917 Posts
My local Beverly's is a craft/fabric shop like JoAnn's. And actually YES you will find all sorts of magnifiers in fabric and craft/hobby shops. If you frequent any you probably just never noticed them before in the store. My local bookstore carries some of the Mighty Brite products, just not the large page magnifier unfortunately. Extremely useful for checking close up work and definitely an almost must have as one's vision gets worse and you lose your close up vision and need reading glasses!
Usually the magnifiers are near/in the areas that have needle working or quilting products. Some of the patterns can be difficult to read with out them.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I've gone the WD40 route on labels and it does work well. And GooGone? Works great for removing large quantities of paint off skin (we just recently helped my sister paint the fence around her horse pasture and that's what we used to clean up!)

This is a great idea, Spookie! Not having liquid in the jar makes it easy to store in the off season, too!
Years ago we used carb cleaner to remove shelf labels at wally world :)

·
Registered
917 Posts
The silly picture's sideways :p
When I started these my granddaughter (6 yr old) was here and she was so excited about the effect that the magnifier sheet gave it that she was running around the house making everyone look at it lol

·
Registered
13,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
The silly picture's sideways :p
When I started these my granddaughter (6 yr old) was here and she was so excited about the effect that the magnifier sheet gave it that she was running around the house making everyone look at it lol
ahhhh, is that the cutest story. Made my day! Glad you were able to amaze her. Sure she will always remember how you made the body parts grow :D

21 - 39 of 39 Posts