Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys new member here but I've been researching for months on how to pull this off at our new house. This is our first Halloween in this house so I want to really make an impression and want to have something spooky for the upper level of the house. I'm wanting to project a spooky old dance scene or civil war scene on the upper level. My question is how should I set this up since the audience will be lower than the projection. Also what is a good projector to pull this off and what would I need? Thank y'all so much for helping out! I've included a picture of the house.
0349F456-5F8C-4FFF-986A-70067BF654CB.jpeg

·
Registered
41 Posts
Atmosfearfx, does great projections, and you need material, on your windows, as far as the projector, I bought my cheap one off of eBay
Here is a link to more info on here

·
Registered
11 Posts
Holy Smokes, that house is Awesome, you could stretch some screen material between the pillars and back project.
WOW!! A Haunted Mansion if I have ever seen one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks tcwoodeus!!! I'm wanting to have the illusions outside on the balcony not in the windows. Or make it appear it's on the balcony. I want to make sure that the audience can see it from the street.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My lower level porch is very similar to your upper porch. Last year, I stretched material in between the columns hoping to project from the windows - but they are too close to the material - so the projections are way too small. If I pull the projector further back - then it cuts off a portion of the video. I think the best option may be a short throw projector - I'm exploring that option now.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Hi,
Beautiful house!

Regarding screen, there is a mosquito netting company that designs a screen that can double as a projection screen. I would investigate them.. You can also turn on some lights behind the screen on the porch that will help reduce the screen appearance. Here is the link:

You may need to start with the middle section as a sandbox trial.. I think that you will definitely need up to 3 short throw or ultra short throw projectors if you want to cover everything (one for each section) because of the limited distance between projector and screen.

Best of luck, I CAN'T Wait to see how it comes out!

·
Registered
264 Posts
In addition to above, Atmos fx has a great video that discusses rear projection in doorways etc on a screen. Hope that it can help you.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Agree with @spiney99 You'll probably need Ultra Short Throw (UST) projectors to get the required screen size. UST projectors aren't cheap, but you can get some OK used ones on ebay, craigslist etc.
This web site has a neat distance to screen size calculator for a lot of different projectors. Find the projector your thinking of getting then click on the projector calculator link to work out if it's suitable.
Here's 2 I was comparing for a project, the ST one needs to be 3.5m away for a 300cm screen, the UST only 0.54m. My max distance to screen is 2.4m
https://www.projectorcentral.com/Epson_Europe-EB-450Wi-projection-calculator-pro.htm
https://www.projectorcentral.com/Epson-EMP-TW2000-projection-calculator-pro.htm

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi,
Beautiful house!

Regarding screen, there is a mosquito netting company that designs a screen that can double as a projection screen. I would investigate them.. You can also turn on some lights behind the screen on the porch that will help reduce the screen appearance. Here is the link:

You may need to start with the middle section as a sandbox trial.. I think that you will definitely need up to 3 short throw or ultra short throw projectors if you want to cover everything (one for each section) because of the limited distance between projector and screen.

Best of luck, I CAN'T Wait to see how it comes out!
It would be cool to have the black mosquito netting between pillars and back project. If you have figures behind the netting and light them with a small flood, it would give the whole thing a 3D effect. Also, I saw a tutorial on-line showing how to syncronize multiple projections using the Atmosfx portraits as a base. It would be cool though maybe technically difficult and/or expensive, to have the separate sections of the porch (between pillars) working together so the scene is continuous from one end of the porch to the other. It will be great, no matter which way you go. Good Luck.
!

·
It's pronounced "Fronkensteen."
524 Posts
I know you said you want to do projection, but with real estate like that porch, why not go all out with real figures?

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
As another option, I know you said you don't want the projections in the windows but you might be surprised at how good it can look. That's by far the easiest way to go.

·
Registered
458 Posts
If you want it to look like the scene is ON the porch, look into the Pepper's Ghost effect.

The only problem here is that you'll probably have "bleed through" onto the ceiling of the porch.

·
Registered
30 Posts
If your looking for a slightly more simple solution I’ve seen some really cool ghostly effects with black lights and fabricated hanging figures sprayed with glow in the dark spray paint. Chicken wire ghosts also look amazing in my opinion however may be difficult to pull off on that balcony given the lighting conditions.

·
Registered
868 Posts
We have the video dancing skeletons on our second floor and they look fine, but we don't have a balcony out front. That leaves your windows a bit recessed from view. If we did have that balcony, we'd put up packing tape ghosts to have something fun on the actual balcony.

Above is one example, although typing in Packing Tape Ghosts into YouTube will get you bunches of folks eager to show you how they are made. Hang them from the roof, leave your fans on, and they'll be moving all night. :)

·
Registered
868 Posts
My lower level porch is very similar to your upper porch. Last year, I stretched material in between the columns hoping to project from the windows - but they are too close to the material - so the projections are way too small. If I pull the projector further back - then it cuts off a portion of the video. I think the best option may be a short throw projector - I'm exploring that option now.
You might want to try using a mirror to increase the ability of your current projector to give a larger picture in a tighter spot. You angle your projector to play the movie into the mirror and then angle the mirror to reflect that image toward your screen. It effectively increases your distance between projector and screen. There are plenty of places online that will show you how to pull it off, including here at the forum. I'm pretty sure Oak Lane Cemetery showed off how he did it, but I couldn't find it quickly enough, so here's one that's at least brief. :)

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
You might want to try using a mirror to increase the ability of your current projector to give a larger picture in a tighter spot. You angle your projector to play the movie into the mirror and then angle the mirror to reflect that image toward your screen. It effectively increases your distance between projector and screen. There are plenty of places online that will show you how to pull it off, including here at the forum. I'm pretty sure Oak Lane Cemetery showed off how he did it, but I couldn't find it quickly enough, so here's one that's at least brief. :)

While this will work for some applications, it's probably not doable in this situation due to the size of mirror it would require. As an example, if the distance from the projector to the mirror is equal to the distance from the mirror to the screen, the mirror would need to be half the size of the screen.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Honestly, this looks really problematic. Even with a short-throw projector I'm skeptical you could cover that entire viewing area; and even if you could, the characters would look way too large. Most AtmosFX projections are scaled to be shown in a single window or doorway. That would mean a projector for each of the three sections - serious money.

Also, regardless if you only project onto the center section, you would have to cover all three sections with the material, otherwise the center section would look different by comparison and you could tell the material was there. Alternately, you could cover all the sections but the center one (curtains, plywood, planks of wood or wood-looking styrofoam) but that would look strange, to me at least.

If you project from indoors onto the windows you would still need multiple projectors but they probably wouldn't have to be short-throw. Or, again, you could project only onto the center window and "board up" the other window and door, which would look more like a "normal" haunted or abandoned house decoration. And actually, my vote for any kind of projection effect would be the first-floor windows, not the second, mainly because of that railing running around the balcony substantially obscuring the lower half of the windows.

My preference, already mentioned, would be physical props or characters. And the centerpiece would be a Flying Crank Ghost. You can make them yourself or buy them pre-made. They're eye-catching because they move, they look cool, and they're an uncommon and rarely seen prop.

So that's my long-winded two cents. Best of luck on whatever you decide.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Tewhitte,

Projection from AtmosFX:

Short-throw projector

1 - 20 of 42 Posts