Halloween Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
I would start out with a mannequin head, hands (could be white gloves stuffed with polyfill) and a pvc armature. Get a long white gown at a thrift store and place it over the armature. Stuff it with polyfill to give it some shape. Use acrylic paint on the mannequin head to give it a face, then finish with a black wig from the costume store.

·
Registered
Pirates
218 Posts
Second everyone's build ideas.... I love working out lighting. I'd either go with fabric for the curtain or the girl's dress to react to black light. It'd be great contrast to go with one or the other. You could black out the eyes or perhaps a small fluorescent paint dot to make her eyes glow. Even a small oscillating fan on the curtain to make it more spooky.

·
Bucky Brain Surgeon
911 Posts
A blue light aimed upward toward the prop from below the window ledge should light your ghost well.

If you have a projector and want to kick it up a notch you can use a projected image that becomes transparent like a ghost when projected onto a scrim (a big piece of sheer black cloth). We did a video of my wife in her wedding dress laying on her back on a table with solid, non reflective black cloth all around her and draping to the floor. Everything around her was black. We painted her face white too and recorded the video against the black background. Then we took the video, cranked up the contrast a little and projected it onto a scrim hung above a coffin inside a hearse we made. The effect was you could see through her image floating above the coffin all the way to the props on other side of the hearse. Your ghost video could capture a person dressed up as a ghost in white and maybe walking through the frame. From outside it would look like a see through ghost walking past the window.

·
Registered
263 Posts
You can find inexpensive mannequin heads with hair on Amazon intended for practicing styling hair. Often cheaper than getting a mannequin head and wig separate.

·
Registered
47 Posts
If you have a projector and want to kick it up a notch you can use a projected image that becomes transparent like a ghost when projected onto a scrim (a big piece of sheer black cloth). We did a video of my wife in her wedding dress laying on her back on a table with solid, non reflective black cloth all around her and draping to the floor. Everything around her was black. We painted her face white too and recorded the video against the black background. Then we took the video, cranked up the contrast a little and projected it onto a scrim hung above a coffin inside a hearse we made. The effect was you could see through her image floating above the coffin all the way to the props on other side of the hearse. Your ghost video could capture a person dressed up as a ghost in white and maybe walking through the frame. From outside it would look like a see through ghost walking past the window.
DUDE, you have no idea how much help this is for me!!! Been wanting a projector for YEARS and finally pulled the trigger last week AND been wanting to learn how to make our own projections. I have NEVER seen this sort of info and I looked for it! Nothing against commercial and they are quite good but nothing cooler than your own stuff IMO and your floating ghost sounds INSANELY COOL!

·
Registered
18 Posts
DUDE, you have no idea how much help this is for me!!! Been wanting a projector for YEARS and finally pulled the trigger last week AND been wanting to learn how to make our own projections. I have NEVER seen this sort of info and I looked for it! Nothing against commercial and they are quite good but nothing cooler than your own stuff IMO and your floating ghost sounds INSANELY COOL!
Projector inside pointing at sheet covered window. I do this every year

1 - 7 of 7 Posts