Halloween Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So just found there's going to be a lovely victorian mystery thing in my town for Halloween this year and i NEED to go!

I found my costume...

No wig but i figure my dark brown hair will provide a nice spooky gothic contrast.

I found my mask...

but in order to really sell the "ghost bride" vibe, i need a bouquet! i was concerned about carrying it for hours, but i decided i can just tie it with a ribbon around my wrist so it can hang when i don't need it...kinda like an old fashion fan.

however not really happy with any of the premade bouquets i'm finding online...so i have decided to make my own! but i'm a bit unsure about painting techniques or colors. i was thinking about using these nice dead looking roses for the base but am uncertain if i should go with them, or a more ghostly straight up greyish whiteish color.

and i was thinking baby's breath, but i know it wouldn't look right if it were pure white....i'm not sure about other flowers, i don't want to overdo it too much. i imagine i should be able to use some nice grey chiffon to distress to match the dress a bit for the wrapping on the bottom, maybe some aged white fabric. but other than that....i'm kinda lost and could really use guidance from people who know this better than i do!^^0 so any advice please?

·
Registered
412 Posts
im no pro...but i w love that color..looks spooky...u could always buy the babys breath and paint them like a grey color to look aged...just trying to help!

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I really like the color of those roses. I think a little bit of color would look nice with them. Maybe a pale pink or pale coral/peach colored sprinkled here and there amongst the greyish colored roses. You can make them look dead or dying by dipping the tips of the flowers into a brown dye, or strong tea or coffee, or watered down paint. To make any green leaves look dead or dying you can lightly brush them with thinned down paint or dip them into dye. Paint or use a marker on the stems. If you wanted to add baby's breath you could always find dried ones to add to the bouquet. I would pull some petals off of a few of the roses as well, to make them look like they lost petals as they were dying. Droop the heads of the flowers to further make them look dead or dying.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate the responses!

@christmascandy1 i had thought about that. I just was a little unsure about technique..i almost feel like i should paint the roses too just to fade the color a little...make it more ghostly you know?

@HauntedWyo i don't think peach or coral would look very good if i'm trying to go for a ghost vibe...those would still be considered very "alive colors" even if they were pale. Would these techniques still work for silk flowers? They sound a bit like techniques for living flowers, other than the dye.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
@CemeteryGirl, those techniques should work on the silk flowers. If using dye make sure you use the right dye. Most artificial flowers are made out of some sort of polyester or polyester blend instead of silk, especially if they are the cheaper flowers. If you really want a more dead look you could go with an off white rose and then dip them into one of the solutions making sure to leave the tips of the roses in the solution just a bit longer. May have to repeat the process several times until you get desired results. Let the flowers dry between dipping to see how the color looks first.

·
Registered
276 Posts
What about using some gray or off white skeleton leaves in the bouquet. You may even be able to manipulate the larger leaves to make roses or another flower. If you don't know what I mean by skeleton leaves--just google whatever color and skeleton leaves.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,405 Posts
A few more suggestions from a gardener here.

Dried hydrangeas can be creepy looking. I have several bushes & this time of year they're really sad because it's too freaking hot & humid & they're SOOOO OVER these 98° days with 70% humidity. When happier they look like this:

Even the blue ones tend to end up like this though which is what mine look like now.

You could buy a fresh bunch from a florist, tie the stems together, hang them upside down in a place with low humidity to dry & you should have a good creepy base.

Dried Chinese lanterns are pretty cool too:

Celosia (or cockscomb) when dried looks like a brain. It also looks like cauliflower too!!

Dried snapdragon flowers look like teeny skulls:

And there's a seed pod that looks like an evil devil bat...wait..I have one in my Etsy cart...YES!! Devil pod, Trapa Bicornis

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@Minshe wow those are cool looking! If those could be made into roses..they'd make a perfect ghostly bouquet!!:love: but i don't have much confidence in my skills at building flowers...but it may be worth a try.

@RCIAG thank you for the suggestions and the pictures! You're right, the hydrangea look beautifully eerie! But i'm afraid to use dried flowers because i don't believe i'll be too gentle with the bouquet and i'd hate to be leaving petals behind for others to clean up.:(

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think the roses you posted are a perfect base bouquet! When I need to fade and dust something up a bit, I use an extremely light, barely there dusting of flat, off-white and light grey spray paint. The trick is to just get that dusting without actually painting the flowers grey and off-white, you want to see the original color underneath. Just barely hit the flowers, keeping the nozzle a decent distance from the flowers, layering the grey and off-white. The more uneven, the more realistic, if that makes sense. Definitely practice on a crumpled piece of colored paper or something before you try the roses, but once you get the technique down, it’s super effective. This works excellent on fabric, too.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@Nixie hmnm sounds pretty easy! I've worked with airbrush and spraycans a bit so i think i could manage that...as much as i love the skeleton leaf rose concept, there doesn't seem to be any tutorials on how to get the shape i want so i'd rather take the easier route with the silk flowers for now and experiment later. What about the baby's breath? Wouldn't the white be too bright or would grey paint fix that?

·
Registered
869 Posts
@RCIAG You're right, the hydrangea look beautifully eerie! But i'm afraid to use dried flowers because i don't believe i'll be too gentle with the bouquet and i'd hate to be leaving petals behind for others to clean up.:(
But you're dead... parts of you falling off is a given if I'm not mistaken. You just need to lean into your role, and hydrangea petals floating away from you throughout the night will be totally appropriate to your character. :)

However, if you choose to go with silk flowers, I agree with multiple folks saying just a touch of color in your bouquet seems like a good idea.

We have found staining silk flowers works to add a depth of color that looks natural. Whip up a batch of whatever color you want for your plants and soak them in the solution for a bit. We used actual coffee to color our white roses a dead looking brown. They held up through an entire October in the rain without losing their pallor. You can thin any color of most acrylic paints and get the same effect. Just remember that too thin is always better. You can keep soaking and repeating until you get the right shade. You can't pull it out too dark and fix it easily.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@chubstuff i'm a ghost not a zombie!🤣 and i'm not going to be outside, i'm going to be inside a historical victorian home. I really don't think they'd appreciate dead petals everywhere...lol but i appreciate the tips and advice

·
Registered
869 Posts
@chubstuff i'm a ghost not a zombie!🤣 and i'm not going to be outside, i'm going to be inside a historical victorian home. I really don't think they'd appreciate dead petals everywhere...lol but i appreciate the tips and advice
Heaven forbid you're a zombie. I knew the image you showed was a ghost bride. (And I read your comment that's what you are going for. That helped. hahaha) For some reason an ethereal ghost wandering through the halls of a mansion with the petals of flowers gently floating away from her in the air seems very Victorian Gothic to me. Then again, you're right. I'm not the clean up crew that has to deal with ethereal ghosts wandering through the halls dripping ectoplasm and scattering dead plants everywhere. :) Go with silk plants.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts