Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Not sure on the quality of that one but yes, great startle effect. If you have other bushes around, someone crouched down in a ghillie works great.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Had a twelve year old park himself in my garden, scared the hell outta me. I paid him in candy to stick around a bit!

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,643 Posts
We have one we purchased from an Army surplus store years ago. It is without a doubt one of the best scares we have used. We don't use it every year so it doesn't get stale but we plant the actor near or tucked into some bushes and he literally disappears. No one expects it and all he has to do is move a little or make a noise. This scare gave us our first "pants wetter" several years ago. People were exting our yard through a gate and he was sitting on a small three legged camp stool next to some shrubs. Just as they were about to walk through the gate he stood up and yelled and people were hitting the ground! Three girls were among the victims and the one was yelling "I peed myself! I peed myself". The wet stain on her jeans gave proof to her claim. Just a hint, if you're going to get one, get a good one. There is a notable difference between a quality suit and a cheap one.

Reactions: offmymeds

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have seen videos where some dont seem full
can anyone recommend a good one??

I would have preferred to buy one in person so I can see the quality but it looks like its mostly online.

·
Mad Monster Maker
2,671 Posts
I've used a ghilli suit in the past, and it's a GREAT scare. The only downside is after 2 or 3 years some of the ToT's get accustomed to it. (I frequently heard "where's the mossman", which told me it was memorable, but which also means it was very effective). I haven't used it for the past 3 years because I couldn't get anyone to help me out on Halloween night. I did some research before I bought mine, so here's what I learned.

Traditionally, ghilli suits were made of jute fibers woven into some sort of mesh material. Jute, however has some serious drawbacks. It's very hot in a jute ghilli suit, it's heavier than synthetic materials, and, more importantly, jute is very flammable ( although you can add a flame retarder to it ).

More recently, ghilli suits have been introduced made from synthetic materials. They're more breathable (so they're not as hot as jute ghilli suits), they're lighter in weight, and they're flame retardant. The lighter weight and breathability make them more practical to wear over regular clothing. These qualities make them optimal for hunters and paintball competitors. Typically they're marketed as "paintball ghilli suits".

The two basic types of suits are poncho style and the regular suit (pants/jacket/hood combo). I prefer the regular suit due to it's full body coverage, but the poncho style may work for you.

Ghilli suits come in several camo patterns. The most common are woodland camo, desert camo, grassland camo, mossy oak, and arctic (white). My suggestion would be the mossy oak camo pattern.

You can probably get one for a decent price on e-bay. Just search "paintball ghilli suit", and select "price+shipping: lowest first". Be sure to read the description carefully. Make sure it's synthetic material, the correct style you want (poncho/regular), the correct size, and the correct camo color.

One last note. Some ghilli suits are sold as kits that typically include a mesh netting and bundles of different colored fibers that you assemble yourself. Make sure the suit you choose isn't a kit.

Hope this helps.

·
Crunchitize Me Cap'n
1,654 Posts
Ghillie suits are awesome! I made one out of a fishing net replacement and a vehicle trunk net. I bought camo burlap and cut different sized squares out of the panel. "De-threaded" all the strands and would gather 4-6 in my hand and tie them onto the grid work of the net working my way up from the bottom and roughly cutting out a head and arm holes. I have a "chest" piece that is big enough I can stretch it over my crossed legs on the ground. Then a "head" piece that just lays on top, using my arms to open up a like a flap and scare the ToT's as their coming down the sidewalk. I've had dogs not even notice me sitting there. Definitely a lot of fun if you have continuous ToT traffic!

Burlap, much is exactly like the jute that PumpkinHead is speaking to. Yes it is warm, but that works for me in the Canadian Prairies, where it can dip into the 30's-40's (farenheit), barely hovering above 0 degrees celsius. Also, you get anywhere's close to open flame with the method I described above, you'll be lit like a Christmas tree, so be careful about that.

I think I got 2 bundles of camo burlap at $19.99 a piece, then the replacement fishing net was under $15.

YouTube is your best friend, lookup homemade or DIY ghillie suits, that's where I learned. Then you just gotta start pulling and tying burlap strands!

·
Crunchitize Me Cap'n
1,654 Posts
Seen here is the effect giving with tying wads of individual strands, which I really like. Gives you lots of independent movement

·
Crunchitize Me Cap'n
1,654 Posts
And here I am next to the step, bravely sitting next to the jack-o-lantern, sorry its sideways, OOOOOLLLLDDD upload

1 - 9 of 9 Posts