Halloween Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started school up yesterday. It has been 7, yes, 7 years! Things have changed. Math is basically in a computer lab now. I had to buy a $200 textbook that we will scarcely use. It just blows my mind how in just 7 years things can change. When I was 18 I was ontop of the new technology. Now it seems like I am way behind -_-

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess I am still considered "young"..but really..I still don't completely know EVERYTHING my smart phone can do. Even when I graduated most people still had a basic flip phone, haha. It amazes me how much has changed. 10 years ago I got my first phone and the screen wasn't even in color!

It kind of scares me that texts book might become extinct. I personally like having a physical book to read. I am not one for Ebooks, at all.

·
Night Owl
994 Posts
Same here for books..I get mad when I find a book online just for it to be available for a nook/kindle..ugh.i still don't know everything my iPhone does.lol.ive had almost 2 years

·
Registered
629 Posts
You feel old?:confused: When I started high school they were just coming out with pocket calculators. I was slightly older than you when I started collage and a portable computer was something about the size of a small suitcase. After lugging a 40lb backpack full of engineering texts around for four and a half years I'd have killed for a Kindle or an iPad to replace those books.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You feel old?:confused: When I started high school they were just coming out with pocket calculators. I was slightly older than you when I started collage and a portable computer was something about the size of a small suitcase. After lugging a 40lb backpack full of engineering texts around for four and a half years I'd have killed for a Kindle or an iPad to replace those books.
I am thankful laptops are much smaller nowadays, haha! But really, maybe I am just strange but I would rather much look a book then try to read it on a kindle or ipad (which, I don't own either, lol!) Luckily mine aren't too heavy.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nothing strange about that at all; then again, I'm rather old-school myself. ;)
I am so used to that. I just feel I would study better having that actual textbook. Am I crazy? HAHA!

Same with reading. I like feeling the pages in my hands.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I am so used to that. I just feel I would study better having that actual textbook. Am I crazy? HAHA!

Same with reading. I like feeling the pages in my hands.
Don't get me wrong, I love books. My library contains over 2000 of them and there's nothing like the smell and feel of a paper book in your hands. I'm a voracious reader though, it usually takes me about 4-5 hours to read your average paperback. In the past when I went on vacations I'd take a dozen books just so I'd have enough to read. Nine times out of ten I'd still have to buy more before heading home. Now I can take hundreds of books on my Kindle. It's not the same but it is a convenient alternative.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don't get me wrong, I love books. My library contains over 2000 of them and there's nothing like the smell and feel of a paper book in your hands. I'm a voracious reader though, it usually takes me about 4-5 hours to read your average paperback. In the past when I went on vacations I'd take a dozen books just so I'd have enough to read. Nine times out of ten I'd still have to buy more before heading home. Now I can take hundreds of books on my Kindle. It's not the same but it is a convenient alternative.
I was like that as a teen. I had a huge collection of Stephen King books. On average it would take me just a day or two, depending on the length and how small the words were (Dreamcatcher was a lengthy book and the word print seemed incredibly small. It took me forever...but I have bad eye sight haha!)

Once I had kids I found it was hard to find time to read. When I did have time, I was just too tired. They are a tad bit older now and I get more downtime to read while they are playing together. But with school now...once again I will probably find it hard to sit and read.

Sadly, after a few moves I have lost a good amount of books :(

·
Registered
34,922 Posts
I resisted modern technology for years. It started with the computer, then the internet, paying bills on-line, & cell phones. I loved the feel of a book in my hands, the smell, all that stuff. My kids talked me into getting my Kindle, "mom you can do everything on a Kindle!". I finally got one and loved it from the moment I turned it on.
Getting older :eek:, reading too long started giving me headaches because the print is so small, even with my glasses. I was taking care of my mom and reading for an hour while she got her chemo treatments got harder. Then my hubby got sick and there were so many Dr. app'ts every week. Taking a book, his meds, a bottle of water, paperwork etc. was cumbersome. Dr.'s offices only have so many magazines you can read and reread. Now I can adjust the font size so it's easier on my eyes, I use the black background and white letters. If I finish a book while we're out I have another one I can start. The lending library is great and there are so many free books you can download. I've discovered a couple new authors I absolutely love, would never have known about them without the Kindle. I read for at least an hour every night, no more headaches. I don't have to have a light on, when I'm done I just shut it down, put it on the night stand and go to sleep. I have a couple games I have downloaded if I get tired of reading. I can access the internet, that was great when my old laptop was dying. I can watch movies on it and download music from my laptop to it. I have the first gen Kindle Fire, I bought hubby the second gen a few months back and he loves it, he can listen and read along with the books. I got him one of the games I play that he liked so it's a great time killer while waiting for Dr. appt's. or when he can't sleep and doesn't want to watch t.v.. I got great covers for them, I can tuck app't cards, med lists, notes, etc. in it. They zip closed so you don't lose anything, keeps the Kindle safe from drops and scratches.
Can you tell I love my Kindle? lol

I still have a dumb phone, don't use it much. Still don't know how to answer hubby and the kids's smart phones. Finally learned how to text a couple of years ago, don't do that much. I'm not a big phone user so the dumb phone is fine with me.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I like the feel of a real book myself. To me there is nothing like reading a few pages or chapters to unwind the day before calling it a night.

My Wife and I went out to dinner last Saturday after attending a car show. We observed other "couples" around us from in their 20's on up past their 40's.
None of them spoke out loud to each other and they all had some type of device (phone maybe) that they were engrossed in. One guy was watching a movie and his wife was texting between shoveling her mouth full - neither spoke one word to each other .
We decided neither of us would survive the "dating scene" of today. When we dated we looked into each others eyes and laughed about fun things we had done and wanted to do . (which we still do)
I feel sorry for the people who are losing out on real communicating. :(

Sorry to get off topic - but technology does not impress me at all.

·
It's a trick. Get an axe.
2,323 Posts
I fully believe that all these avenues of technology will come crashing down one day. When that happens, I'll be grateful for insisting on the hundreds of old-fashioned books in my collection.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I fully believe that all these avenues of technology will come crashing down one day. When that happens, I'll be grateful for insisting on the hundreds of old-fashioned books in my collection.
I wouldnt doubt that one bit!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts