Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year was a pretty sad Halloween for me. My house burned down in the middle of August and I lost most of my belongings and then had to scramble to get ready for my wedding that was in mid-October. By the time Halloween rolled around I was too overwhelmed to put up any decorations (of the few I had left), have a costume, go to/throw a party, or give out candy.

This year I am determined to get back into it! I'm trying to figure out a party and a costume and if I wasn't home sick with a cold yesterday and today I'd start decorating already.

Does anyone have any tips on how to throw a great party without having much to spend on decorations, games to play for adults, etc.? I know there are lots of threads throughout that forum that I'll take a look at, but I wanted to see if anyone had any new ideas. :)

Thanks in advance for your help! <3

·
Registered
104 Posts
I can't even imagine how devastating it would be to have your house burn down. And right before your wedding... there aren't any words. I commend you for getting back on the horse at all let alone the very next year.

Anyway, I found that you can make a really big impact with decorations just by hitting up a bunch of thrift stores for old white sheets and covering as much of your furniture as you can, then put up a bunch of cotten spiderwebs on everything, and get a ton of candles (real or LED) and antique looking candelabras (also thrift store) and use that for most of your lighting. Store away as much clutter and "happy" looking stuff as you can. It's a great way to create a convincing, classy, adult haunted house look without spending too much money.

Then it's just a matter of inviting folks over for a costume party. For music you can create a Pandora station from a spooky sounding movie soundtrack like Sleepy Hollow.

·
Registered
105 Posts
seelie8504- halloweenjon is right, you are to be commended for your strength and desire to decorate this year. I think you will be able to have a fantastic party this year!

Halloweenjon's suggestions of using sheets from goodwill is great! That is what I do in my tiny space. A couple sheets can make a huge difference in terms of atmosphere. I cover walls, couches and drape them in doorways, cutting them into strips so people can walk through them. Also, I use string lights...a lot. They are pretty cheap and make a difference in an otherwise dark room. Dollar Tree has LED candles that are easy to place anywhere for a spooky look.

As far as deco, I get a lot from Dollar Tree and then "doctor it up" to make it fit with my theme or look. For music, we use Pandora or Spotify since you can make up your own spooky playlist or search for ones that others have created.

Food- Last year I made all my food...which was a mistake, at least for me. My boyfriend and I had both gotten sick a few weeks before the party and that delayed our decoration and preparation significantly. The day of the party, we were still decorating and I was making all of the food, very last minute. I would suggest maybe choosing a few dishes to make on your own, and then including on your invite "Bring a devilish dessert or spooky side dish to share!" Typically, guests are very excited to try their hand and creating a Halloween (or non-Halloween) themed dish.

Games-Last year we played the "Winking game". There are a few threads for it on the forum. It was a huge hit! All we did was buy prizes, which can range from goofy and cheap to nice and expensive. This year we are also going to try "Tempt Your Fate". Both of these games require very little in terms of supplies and preparation because they basically use the guest's sense of humor and imagination to keep the game going :D

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both! It's been tough but I'm trying my best to move past it.

Great suggestions!! I'm definitely going to hit up the dollar tree and thrift stores to see what I can find, especially lots of sheets. I also love the idea of having guests bring a dish. In the past, I've spent so much time putting all the food together and I think it sounds like so much fun to have others bring something as well. :)

I've also never used Pandora/Spotify for a Halloween playlist, that's always someone I struggle with getting together so that is a great idea! I did Tempt Your Fate in the past and it was a lot of fun, I just couldn't remeber what it was called ;) so I'll put that together as well.

Thanks again for your suggestions! <3

·
Registered
356 Posts
I am so sorry for you and the loss of your home. This will be good therapy for you. Good luck. Thankfully, DT has some awesome things. Also watch Craigs list and if you have any online garage sales or places to sell things on Facebook. They are pretty popular here and you can find all kinds of things.

I have never heard of SPotify. I thought that Pandora was just music in certain themes or genres. Is this customizable like the old Playlist.com? I would love something like that. Is it free? I wanted music and thought I would have to pay per song. Please let me know.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I am so sorry for you and the loss of your home. This will be good therapy for you. Good luck. Thankfully, DT has some awesome things. Also watch Craigs list and if you have any online garage sales or places to sell things on Facebook. They are pretty popular here and you can find all kinds of things.

I have never heard of SPotify. I thought that Pandora was just music in certain themes or genres. Is this customizable like the old Playlist.com? I would love something like that. Is it free? I wanted music and thought I would have to pay per song. Please let me know.
Spotify lets you stream anything in their library on demand if you have a paid subscription ($10/month). Pandora (free version) is like an internet radio station that plays content based on your taste preferences. You can create a station based on artists or songs and it will try to play similar things, but you can't use it to play specific tracks when you want. The premium service might offer that I'm not sure.

·
Registered
170 Posts
All you need to throw a good party is good food (doesn't have to be expensive), booze, and music. Everything else is just icing. Using weddings as an example, we served Qdoba at ours, got a few kegs, and had a DJ. Everyone raved about how much fun it was, two people spent the night on the front lawn, and I'm pretty sure one person left pregnant. Yeah, it was a fun wedding. ;-) and under $10000 for 100+ guests.
Of course, you won't want to do it up that big for a Halloween party, but if I were in your shoes here's what I would do.
- $5 Little Cesar's pizzas, maybe 10 of them.
- A keg of your favorite beer.
- Sheets and cobwebs, as mentioned above.
- Maybe a few black lights
- A Halloween Pandora station
- Ask guests to wear costumes and bring a potluck dish

This would cost about $100 in food and drinks, and I'd bet $50-100 in decor. Not bad, and could be a really kick *** party.

Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts