Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who else is looking to get back into building stuff? Now with the Holidays behind me I am starting to get excited about 2009. I may need an intervention.

·
Registered
54 Posts
We would if we had Jobs..!!!

:( Yup, with this economy most of us are losing our jobs.. Just like me i have 1 week left until were laid off.. there will be 135 of us being let go.. and i was really in the mood for prop building.. especially with the voiceovers i got from you..:D
So i guess some of us have to (( throw the wrench )) in our projects for a while..:( there's a topic for a Hauntcast..!! " HOW TO BUILD PROPS WITH NO MONEY " LOL... sorry to be a "Debbiedowner" but its happening all around us..

How about your DJ business ? is it still kicking..? I'm a P/T weekend DJ myself and its not going very well since the economy also.. People don't want to spend what they don't have.. :eek:

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
Now as for getting back to work building props....you have got to be kidding,....I am actually hoping to finally get my Halloween stuff put away this weekend

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
:( Yup, with this economy most of us are losing our jobs.. Just like me i have 1 week left until were laid off.. there will be 135 of us being let go.. and i was really in the mood for prop building.. especially with the voiceovers i got from you..:D
So i guess some of us have to (( throw the wrench )) in our projects for a while..:( there's a topic for a Hauntcast..!! " HOW TO BUILD PROPS WITH NO MONEY " LOL... sorry to be a "Debbiedowner" but its happening all around us..

How about your DJ business ? is it still kicking..? I'm a P/T weekend DJ myself and its not going very well since the economy also.. People don't want to spend what they don't have.. :eek:
I know what you mean GOP...I can't believe all the more cars that are in the parking lot at work....Last year there were 3 shifts in almost all depts....Now it's down to 1st shift only and everyone is walking on eggshells....I think it's like that everywhere....As for cheap props....Look into paper machie....I'm trying my hand at this for something to do that doesn't cost much and of course sculpting foam...Tell your friends and family to save foam out of packaging for you and you'll get a collection of it rather quickly....You can pick up a hot knife at Micheal's for $20 or less with a coupon.....ZR

·
Registered
725 Posts
The tech industry is suppose to fairly insulated from the economic problems but we are seeing this as well. Enough where working extra hours has become common place to make sure the boss knows you like your job.

But beyond that sour note. I got one of my project robots working last night. Finally feel confident that I can actually do something with electronics. So hoping to introduce a little interaction into my props over the next few months.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My DJ business is slow this time of the year anyway, so I can't tell yet. So far I'm looking pretty good for this year, but we'll see.
I'll have to work on something for the show about making low cost props. I will have Stolloween, the mache master on episode 4.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Hey Chris, I love Stolloween's stuff!....That's the reason I decided to give it a try....My initial reactions are it's taking alot longer to make something than I anticipated and I probably shouldn't have started on such a large project for my first project to see how I liked it....I've got a bunch of different parts laying around not done and I've got a bunch more left to make....I think starting small would have been better.....ZR

·
Master of Scaremonies
6,363 Posts
I am planning on trying to build some very simplistic crosses/tombstones as my first 'real' project for '09. I'm not that handy, but given this is the first year I have the space and garage to do so, I think I'm going to try to do something homemade for the display this year :)

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
I work in the mental health field so a bad economy, unfortunately, only increases our business.
We've already made one prop for next year. Kicking legs. Pretty cheap to make if you have a junkyard where you can get a wiper motor and have scrap building materials laying around.

Everyone saves stuff for us. Before throwing anything motorized out, they ask DH if he wants the motor lol Same goes for excess building materials.

Hope things turn around for you GOP.

MsM

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I also work in healthcare so lucky have not been affected yet. I plan to start building after my birthday Monday. My parents usually give money instead of gifts since it's so soon after Christmas. I plan to use some of it to get supplies I need.

My projects are on smaller scale, mostly indoor decorations. My first one will be candy corn garland for my black tree.

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
I will start carving pumpkins again because I want 10 of them hanging from my big poplar tree out front this year. That should draw a bigger crowd also.
I bought about 50 of those ToT pumpkins at the clearance sale and plan on hanging them in my trees to to draw a bigger crowd this year too. They'll probably end up in the neighbors yard after the first big windstorm

·
Hauntingly Addicting
6,068 Posts
UGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! You guys are stressing me out:) It is only January and I feel so behind:):) I think this year I am going to put more money into the actual fram of the haunted house to make it bigger. Last year we did a big crypt and that took a lot of time so this year I am going to lay off on too many props and do more with the Haunted House. Geesh looks like I better get crackin on that:p

·
Super Moderator
5,741 Posts
I have little to no budget for the year at the moment. (there's a few things in the air that may alter that somewhat)

Getting our house back in order after redoing the floors takes precident. Unfortunately, that meant replacing "my" only piece of furniture. So, the bulk of my spending $ will be funnelled into that till mid-year or so. THEN we'll see what time/budget says we can make happen.

Thinking we'll work on a couple things for the lab thing at the school, and that's it as a result. Soooooo many projects lined up for the yard, but they're all designed to more or less completely change the theme, from the ground up, so I wouldn't want to reveal any to the public unless they were ALL done and complete in theme.

After that, I can rotate the themes in and out with mix and match sections. But, I gotta get to that point first.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts