Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gemmy vs. Gemmy (Which one to buy)

I am intersted in purchasing one of the Walmart Gemmy skeletons. Either the "Skeleton Vendor" or the "Caged skeleton" I can't decide!

1) For price alone, I'm leaning toward the "skeleton vendor" but I'm unsure of the quality.

2) For quality alone, I'm leaning toward the "caged skeleton".

Which would you buy? Why? Has anyone seen the skeleton vendor in person? Hackable? thoughts?

Thanks in Advance! :D

·
Registered
668 Posts
the skeleton vendor i saw at wallmart his voice box was stuck. He was saying the end of one word over and over.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've learned with any Gemmy product to try it as soon as you get it home to be sure it works as advertised. Additionally only buy them at places that have friendly return policies. I'm stuck with a Gemmy 12 light light show from last year that only six of the outlets on the main box work on. The remote box is non-responsive. Additionally they had a talking Gargoyle that I went through three before I got one that worked everytime I turned it on. Buyer beware.......

·
Banned
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Additionally they had a talking Gargoyle that I went through three before I got one that worked everytime I turned it on. Buyer beware.......
I haven't really had bad of luck with my Gemmys! The only problem I ever had with one was my mummy's latches didn't latch. Gemmy stuff can be cheap, but it can also be good. I always test them when I get them home too!

The gargoyle you mention...Is it the one in your member icon? If so, thats not a Gemmy! I have one of those and I had to repair it. I think they were badly made. I don't know who manufacturer is. I need to find out so I can avoid buying from them in the future.

As for the original Gemmy vs Gemmy...

I think I'm going to go with the
"Skeleton in a Cage". I know what to expect because I've seen it a few years back in Sam's Club. It was a quality piece, and at that price, it is easier to just buy it vs. making one of my own.

Can anyone tell me the dimensions of the "caged skeleton" box?
Before I buy it, I'd like to make sure I have enough attic space! Haha.

·
Registered
14,093 Posts
Does the Skeleton in the Cage have a microphone? I know the one on the Gemmy website does but then we know Gemmy last year was making a few variations for different retailers. If it has the mic I would consider buy him over the vendor guy. Although its a $65 difference which is quite a lot actually. Heck basically 2 Vendors for the price of the one Caged guy.

I love the Vendor skelly and it's voice track but it's more limited in use I think. How many ways would you alter him through the years? I always consider that factor.

·
Banned
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well if the vendor's costume is fairly easy to remove I see no reason why it can 't be customized. I haven't actually seen it in person, I was hoping to get some feedback here on it. From Walmart's website they indicate that he is battery only. Is that correct? seems kinda strange if it is?

The vender is unique and original; which is a plus. But without a mic or hack, it's uses are limited

the skeleton in a cage is twice the price, and less original, but its uses are almost limitless especially when you can add your own vocals.

I guess Im still torn between the two, [email protected] it! haha. I can't decide! :(

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
i bought the skeleton in cage this year , love it but am not using it this year in the theme we have going , worked great when tried it a few time before putting it back i the box , the only problem was no adaptor in the box (thats not the first time this happens with gemmy) does come with a mic ....i know 2 years ago he had some issues but i just had to have it , it is big and looks great :) here is what mine looks like

the box size is a bit longuer then a gemmy edwardian butler box i would say ....

as for the vendor , a friend bought it for me but i havent received it yet so i dont know how he works yet but am guessing he works like the new gemmys this year (hunchback and greeter witch witch i also got) they have no volume , i totally am disapointed with gemmy this year and they have to place to plug your own audio .....i dont know if thats the case for the baseball vendor as well since it sais takes batteries (am not oo fond of battery props but )........also someone told me his mouth(bottom jaw ) didnt work so until mine comes in and i see if he works (I HOPE HE DOES CAUSE HE SURE SOUNDS AND LOOK GREAT IN THE VIDEO I SAW ) ..... when i get him in about 2 weeks i'll post a video and pictures ....in the meantime this is a video i found on you tube of him , YouTube - baseball vendor

yes gemmy as ALOT of flaws but i still love them , and i think walmart offers then at a reasonable price this year too .....many props are at a good price this year ....

·
Banned
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Need input before I make a purchase!

If you've purchased the Gemmy "Skeleton in a Cage" Please Please respond. I have a couple of questions that
will greatly benefit my purchasing decision! Any advice will be appreciated!

Is the microphone wireless or wired?
Can a cd or mp3 player be hooked up to it?
Has anyone hacked it?

PLEASE PLEASE someone, anyone!:D Thanks!

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
If you've purchased the Gemmy "Skeleton in a Cage" Please Please respond. I have a couple of questions that
will greatly benefit my purchasing decision! Any advice will be appreciated!

Is the microphone wireless or wired?
Can a cd or mp3 player be hooked up to it?
Has anyone hacked it?

PLEASE PLEASE someone, anyone!:D Thanks!
sorry didnt get back to you sooner we are kinda busy building halloween props every free time we get...and getting it out of the box alone is asking for trouble to break it .....

the mic is wireless , no no place to plug your own audio in , hope this helps your decision .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts