Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Headless Hessian
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't see a thread dedicated to the Gemmy Snow White queen turned old hag so I wanted to start one for members to chronicle any changes/updates they make to her.

I started with a few changes to her face - the roof of her mouth and the single tooth were the same color as her face so I darkened the mouth and highlighted the tooth. Next, I adjusted the arm that rotates with the apple because it hangs really low right out of the box. Finally, I added a basket purchased at Goodwill and a few styrofoam apples from the Dollar Tree as an additional prop. Still want to do something with the flimsy two strands of white hair that are sewn into the hood but need to find an appropriate wig to get the volume and layered look of the cartoon character.

So what have you done to your witch? Please post pics and descriptions here so we can share in our ideas and progress.

Snow White witch.jpg

·
Headless Hessian
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so is the removal of the over spray not working too well, Hilda? I noticed mine has that too and hadn't thought about the best way to remove it yet.

By the way, I love this setting at your house. I assume it is the front - totally love your planters and flowers. She looks great standing there.

·
Lighthearted Halloween
3,795 Posts
so is the removal of the over spray not working too well, Hilda? I noticed mine has that too and hadn't thought about the best way to remove it yet.

By the way, I love this setting at your house. I assume it is the front - totally love your planters and flowers. She looks great standing there.
Thanks. That is sweet. I can't stand that ugly concrete slab. I dream of a 'real' covered front porch with some rocking chairs. LOL Some day. The hag will be on the corner of the front porch this year. I'll have to drag her in and out.

I did not know what to try to remove the overspray. It's pretty bad on mine. I used a little goo gone. It did nothing. I tried a magic eraser but it is too clumsy. Did you notice three fingers are fused together? That makes it harder to get at. I sat with nail file and just filed as much off the fingertips as I could. Not too bad. There is still some in the grooves. (I can snap a pic if you would like to see.) It looks MUCH better than if I had left it. I think in the evenings and with her animation and all, it will not be noticeable. Overspray is a pet peeve of mine. I think if company's make a product, they should plan how to paint it properly. The way the fingers were sprayed on this prop is ridiculous. I don't know how to get at the fingers on the hand holding the apple. Will probably have to tear the apple off. (It is already part way off, so I guess I'll pull it off and then hot glue it back on.)

Soooooo did you iron the gown? hahaha Looks great!! :) She is a gorgeous prop even with the few problems.

EDIT: Did you find it strange around the shoulders/neck area. The fit of the gown? Mine seems to be so odd right there. I thought maybe I had her assembled wrong. I've gone back over it three times, but cannot find any other way.

·
Lighthearted Halloween
3,795 Posts
I didn't take a before photo of the left hand... Here is the overspray on the nails on her right hand. I know I am being picky. LOL The left hand was worse.

004.JPG

Here is the left hand after I used a nail file to gently file the grey off. Not a perfect solution, but it looks better.

011.JPG 014.JPG

Non-Acetone fingernail polish remover should work.
I just tried some, and it did nothing as far as I can see. I would love to get all that grey off. The hands are so nice. :)

F

·
0 Posts
It was me. Thanks! Gemmy definitely cut corners with that setup. The pole figures are just so unstable not to mention the way she's hunched over makes it worse. I wish they'd go back to the spring loaded figures that collapsed and sprung up.

The overspray is worse than I thought. Since the nail polish remover didn't work I'll keep thinking what might remove it.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Just posting what I've done so far...
I am working off of this picture:

tumblr_m7c3q03Ubk1r3p1jzo2_1280.jpg

Shading on her face and a mouth repaint. I still need to do the final touch up on the eyes and I have ordered her a wig which should be here Monday, so for now I just gave her two strips of a hair a little trim.

IMG_1735.jpg

·
Headless Hessian
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
WOW Stacy! She looks so much better after your changes. I love the extra shading around her eyes and the way you emphasized the wrinkles. What did you do to the base color of her face overall? Yours now looks to have a much more life-like texture versus a flat color. How about a tutorial for the rest of us who want to improve her??? hahahaha

·
Registered
349 Posts
WOW Stacy! She looks so much better after your changes. I love the extra shading around her eyes and the way you emphasized the wrinkles. What did you do to the base color of her face overall? Yours now looks to have a much more life-like texture versus a flat color. How about a tutorial for the rest of us who want to improve her??? hahahaha
Thanks frogkid! I just received her wig today, so I will get it cut and then present the final product with an explanation of what I did. I'm glad you like the changes.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Here is the final product after my Snow White Witch received her makeover and new wig & haircut. I actually used makeup to shade and enhance her face ( a taupe eyeshadow around the eyes, light brown to enhance wrinkles and creases, rose blush to shade nose and apples of her cheeks, then a flesh-colored powder rubbed on her wart) and then acrylic paint to do a total repaint on the mouth. Once I was satisfied with her appearance I applied 2 light coats of Krylon Matte Finish sealer to her face. It worked perfectly. I also bought a long wig and then cut and layered it for the choppy look she has. The quality of the hair in the wig is much better than the 2 strips sewn into her hood. Overall, in person her face has a much more lifelike appearance and I am happy with how she turned out.

31EdbZZUPqL.jpg
/www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005KO4FFC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

IMG_1760.jpg

IMG_1781.jpg

IMG_1783.jpg

·
Here to burgle your turts
2,305 Posts
Probably not the best place to post this, and not sure if it's been mentioned elsewhere but if anyone is looking for the witch in Canada, I saw her at Canadian Tire today for $180. I don't think most of their stores are putting Halloween out yet though.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
9 Participants
GobbyGruesome
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing