Halloween Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new to the site, love this stuff!
I'm hoping to pick your brains about a project im working on. I have a walmart gemmy talking skull and want to record my own message for it to say.
I've seen many ways of doing this however I was wondering if anyone has tried recording onto the chip in a greeting card then switching that over to the board in something else?
thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've never used them, but apparently there are products that let you record your own audio and play it back in a greeting card.

The problem comes in tapping into the motor driving circuitry that makes the Gemmy jaw move. The circuit board is all teensy-weensy surface mount components. How's your soldering?-)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah my thought was to get the greeting card, record what I want, pull chips from both card and skull, then install card chip in skull. That way the jaw will move with what I recorded. My soldering skills aren't terrible but yeah, it's teeny!

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Yeah my thought was to get the greeting card, record what I want, pull chips from both card and skull, then install card chip in skull. That way the jaw will move with what I recorded. My soldering skills aren't terrible but yeah, it's teeny!
I've seen a few hacks for them (done one myself on several skulls) but never one as easy as that. Let us know if you find any info on doing it that way.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Having worked on a Gemmy talking skull and set it up so you can make it say what you want, I'm going to say that this won't work. What's inside these cheap Halloween decorations is a purpose-made circuit that both has the sound clips on it, and animates the jaw of the skull in sync with the sound clip.

There is a small circuit board with a round black blob of epoxy under it - that's the custom chip that was made for the prop. There is no way to pull anything out and replace it.

However, if you have advanced electronics ability (I have to stress ADVANCED) you can follow the Instructable that I put up a year ago and replace the board in the skull with another circuit, and then use a microcontroller to play back a sound file and animate the skull's jaw. But again...this is for people who already know a lot. Here's the link:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Modify-A-Talking-Skull-To-Say-Anything-You-Want/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts